Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance does it cover broken TV

• 26-06-2012 12:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭

My son broke our tv by hitting it with a power ranger sword and it cost 1500 euro a few years ago.I do not have the money to replace a 50inch tv.
    I do have the receipt however and was told i should claim off the house insurance.I wonder is this possible and would my insurance go up afterwards.Would they just laugh at me on the phone and should i bother?
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this thread.:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Check your insurance policy documents.

You should be able to claim, but yes, your premium may go up.

• Site Banned Posts: 116 ✭✭DERPY HOOFS

The tv is 6 yrs old does that matter?The glass it broken.
    My insurance does cover it but i am worried about premiums going up very high.
    I have enough bills nowadays lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

The age of the TV shouldn't really matter.

But, check your insurance policy documents carefully before going to your insurance company.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

You need to have accidental damage cover as well as non accidental damage cover. Some policies and nd only, some are nd/ad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

€1500 for a power rangers sword!

Joking aside it's simple math assuming you're covered. A power surge damaged my PC recently. The excess was €250, the no claims bonus was €82 and I had to factor in the premium might get sneaked up aswell. So about €375 was it worth it to claim or just repair it myself. I did the cheaper and repaired it myself.

EDIT: Bear in mind TVs have come down in price quite a bit in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Paulw wrote: »
    The age of the TV shouldn't really matter.

But, check your insurance policy documents carefully before going to your insurance company.

Of course the age matters. They will give you a like-for-like replacement (not really likely with a 6 year old tv) or the cash equivalent. A 6 year old tv is worth a lot less than a new one so the age does matter. You'll be lucky to get a €100 for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Rather than guarantee a premium increase on a 6 year old telly, why not just buy a second hand replacement for €300?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Beano wrote: »
    Of course the age matters. They will give you a like-for-like replacement (not really likely with a 6 year old tv) or the cash equivalent. A 6 year old tv is worth a lot less than a new one so the age does matter. You'll be lucky to get a €100 for it.

Many policies are "new for old" with respect to household goods. The payout will be for the price of an equivalent new TV.
    The broker who arranged the policy should be contacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

A fifty inch is a big screen while your son is young. with young children anything fragile is at risk. Consider getting a smaller screen until later.

Most insurance companies do not cover the full replacement cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

nuac wrote: »
    Most insurance companies do not cover the full replacement cost

well they should....

If you have accidental damage cover they should cover the amount of a replacement (ie the cost of replacing you tv is still available or a similar equal tv) less excess.

there should be no reason why they would not

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Accidental Damage on contents is designed specifically for this type of thing, why would you not claim if you have it? I can't see your premium going up hugely for a claim of €1500 although I imagine the same TV now is a fair bit cheaper so your claim won't even be for €1500!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Claim a €1 or €10,000 they tend to up your premium in a manner consistent with a no claims bonus these days.

Advertisement