Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Feeling bad about doing well in the current climate

• 26-06-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭

I have been very lucky in the last 2 years. Managed to increase my income, won some money and other large things.
    Even foregeting prizes all has been going well. This is vastly better than the 2 years before.
    I generally don't tell people as others are not doing well. The wife feels a bit guilty but I am ok except for needing to keep quite about it. Anybody else doing well but finding it hard to fully enjoy out of a bit guilt?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Bastard :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i try to keep my success hidden but my gold mansion and rocket car really don't help.

So bad that you needed to tell the internet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Yes. I am. All these poor people are keeping me from enjoying it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

I've been lighting my cigars with 10 euro notes instead of the usual 50 so as not to come across as a big show off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A little. But after twenty adult years in **** jobs, I think I've earned a few years doing a job I enjoy. Doesn't make that much money, but it's comfortable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭slimpickens

Daily flagellation should sort you out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Two things you should never tell people;

1. You are doing well
    2. You are doing badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

don't feel guilty as long as you're not flaunting it etc then you've every right to enjoy it!

Plus it's people like you with more available disposable income that are keeping the economy afloat, putting it back into the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Yea but there's one thing you can't have.... a dinosaur!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 1Tony1

Ray you should not feel bad about your success once your doing it in an honest hardworking way then you have nothing to feel bad about, of course it should not be shoved in people's faces as many people are going through a hard time but there is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and enjoying what you have earned. Screw the begrudgers as they say, there is always going to be bitter jealous people no matter what you eanr or have !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

It's a bit disgusting that you have to feel guilty about making a good life for yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

*fake smile* How great that you're doing great!

*mutters profanities under breath*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

If you deserve it why feel guilty, its not like you screwed anyone over to get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

smash wrote: »
    Yea but there's one thing you can't have.... a dinosaur!

Unless OP is John Hammond!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

After reading the original post, I was so shocked and dismayed at the OP's social ineptitude by failing to mask their affluence in such an economic crisis such as this, that I dropped my monocle into my brandy glass at a gasp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

You simply must stop being so easily horrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

same situation as the OP TBH

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Is it that you're afraid to buy stuff, or is it that you're afraid you sound like a knob when you're bragging.

If it's option 2, then you're a knob. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭plys

tmc86 wrote: »
    don't feel guilty as long as you're not flaunting it etc then you've every right to enjoy it!

Plus it's people like you with more available disposable income that are keeping the economy afloat, putting it back into the country.

So how exactly is the OP supposed to keep the economy afloat if he is inhibited from doing so by to the overwhelming guilt he feels for having that disposable income in the first place?
    Kev_2012 wrote: »
    After reading the original post, I was so shocked and dismayed at the OP's social ineptitude by failing to mask their affluence in such an economic crisis such as this, that I dropped my monocle into my brandy glass at a gasp.

Good Grief :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Hopefully the country starts to do better, I'm sick of looking and interacting with poor people.

*Washes hands*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

I'm doing well too.
    Won 25 euro yEeesterday from the scratch card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

OP - if more people (like yourself) didn't try flaunt every penny that they made, the country would be in better shape today.

Enjoy everything that you have earned in your own way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Nothing much changed, you're still doing way better than those in famine ridden Africa, so if you didn't feel guilty before the recession I don't see why you should feel guilty now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Where To wrote: »
    Two things you should never tell people;

1. Anything
    2. Everything

FYP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Nothing much changed, you're still doing way better than those in famine ridden Africa, so if you didn't feel guilty before the recession I don't see why you should feel guilty now.
    Indeed, it's all about perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

OP - if more people (like yourself) didn't try flaunt every penny that they made, the country would be in better shape today.

Enjoy everything that you have earned in your own way.
    Never really flaunted wealth. Have bought things that people noticed. New bathroom, flooring and the like.
    I have had friends wonder how I can afford things. Many have no idea about my job or how it pays. Never mentioned big win of cash or jump in salary.
    I generally wouldn't say I truely earned it just get paid more for the same work.

OP, why feel guilty?
    Do you think those at the bottom of the scale even care for your guilt?

They'd probably rob yer gaff quicker than you can hit reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I have been very lucky in the last 2 years. Managed to increase my income, won some money and other large things.
    Even foregeting prizes all has been going well. This is vastly better than the 2 years before.
    I generally don't tell people as others are not doing well. The wife feels a bit guilty but I am ok except for needing to keep quite about it. Anybody else doing well but finding it hard to fully enjoy out of a bit guilt?

Good for you Bertie, you earned it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

If you're doing well due to your hard work and good decision making, then fair play to you, just enjoy it and be thankful.

I've never been more broke, never worked harder, but people in my position need you guys to keep doing renovations, buying things, paying taxes, and generally carrying on as normal, for this sh1t to ever end.

If you work for an exporting company, you are a minor god, - we need you guys to keep making stuff here and selling stuff anywhere that isn't Ireland therefore bringing money back here.

If however you're an overpaid underworked public servant, then your shame is justified, as that lot are a massive drain on our broke society.

Simples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have 25% left of my income at the end of each month, and I have all the normal bills. Oh the shame, the shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Do the CAB know?

efb wrote: »
    Do the CAB know?
    Nothing illegal in my work.
    I did at one point work as a consultant for the public sector and paid well too. Some said I should feel guilt over that. Never bothered me as it was essential for savings.
    Lots of public servants aren't over paid and many are being shafted by pension charge.
    Some of the work I do is about being tax 'efficient' not in this country though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭preddy

Some of the work I do is about being tax 'efficient' not in this country though.

Ahh its Jimmy Carr you work for....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,036 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I'm guessing the OP doesn't have kids. If he did, no amount of money would be sufficient. :eek:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Share some of your good fortune with others

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Don't feel bad - the recession has mostly been exaggerated. Most people are still working full time and 30,000 Irish fans just went over to Poland, with one of the big fan bases despite our small population. Our minimum wages and social welfare are still higher than most of Europe (a good thing) and living standards are unparalleled in most of the world.

Irish people just like to moan and the recession is a good opportunity to do it. Not to mention that the media and politicians like to feel they are in touch with the people's problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

" I am ok except for needing to keep quite about it."

Quite what? .....secretive?

Share some of your good fortune with others
    Actually that is the mentality that is part of the problem. Some people think that means them!
    Had a friend who won the lottery. He threw a few parties and people would turn up empty handed. Assuming he would provide everything. People would expect him to buy all the rounds in the pub.
    The other issue is people feel bad if they started out like each other and one is doing better. A very good friend heard how much I was being paid during the boom and nearly got sick. We were in the same class in school and even did the same work for a while. I was easily earning 4 times what he was but I didn't know because he spent money like water and said he was doing well. We never talk money now but I have helped him out and got him a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Thats why I abandoned newspapers. I hate the whole hype of " we are all doing well/we are all poor etc.

Um..what about we are all individuals with ever changing circumstances?
    My advice? Enjoy your money but stop buying newspapers with it. Its all horrible mind control and its actually quite liberating when you ditch them and just live your life. You have the internet. If something major happens you will hear about it.

Anyway. I find that people who read too many papers are boring. You ask them for their opinion on something and they just trot out whatever the latest journalist told them to think. Y-a-w-n.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't feel bad OP

You applied for your job and you got it as you were the best candidate

You are not lucky, you were the best

Vast majority of people are still working, over 80%. The media will never say this

Rents are down, I'm paying far less then I was paying a few years ago.

Joe Duffy show would have you slitting your wrists somedays, turn off these negative influences and ignore them
    No point getting stressed over things you cannot control

mikemac1 wrote: »

Joe Duffy show would have you slitting your wrists somedays, turn off these negative influences and ignore them

Absolutely. I think these things are bad for your mental health. I liked his book though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

I am doing better than i was five years ago but the repo business only really took off two years back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Actually that is the mentality that is part of the problem. Some people think that means them!
    Had a friend who won the lottery. He threw a few parties and people would turn up empty handed. Assuming he would provide everything. People would expect him to buy all the rounds in the pub.
    The other issue is people feel bad if they started out like each other and one is doing better. A very good friend heard how much I was being paid during the boom and nearly got sick. We were in the same class in school and even did the same work for a while. I was easily earning 4 times what he was but I didn't know because he spent money like water and said he was doing well. We never talk money now but I have helped him out and got him a job.

I was talking about helping those in need. The homeless, the unloved, the rejected etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

What's your line of work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

Don't feel bad - the recession has mostly been exaggerated. Most people are still working full time and 30,000 Irish fans just went over to Poland, with one of the big fan bases despite our small population. Our minimum wages and social welfare are still higher than most of Europe (a good thing) and living standards are unparalleled in most of the world.

Irish people just like to moan and the recession is a good opportunity to do it. Not to mention that the media and politicians like to feel they are in touch with the people's problems.

That's a very generalised post, which will no doubt offend many.
    I agree with you on a few points, yes, many people have not felt this recession at all.
    If you are debt free and have a job which you've held since before it began and only experienced a say 10% pay cut overall, you are actually in a better position now due to falling costs and more importantly, the relative fall in the incomes and expectations of those around you who are destroyed by debt and job loss.
    Also, people on fixed pensions, (who are usually debt free) have seen their buying power improve.
    The long term unemployed - and here I mean the people who didn't work when there were plenty jobs, have also seen their position almost stay as it was despite the smallish cut in social welfare rates.

But there are a large group of people mostly in the 30 to 45 year old bracket, who have been absolutely ruined by this recession, and some of us will NEVER recover from the financial and psychological damage which has happened to us.

I agree that some people have not been greatly affected, but to claim that this recession "isn't as bad as it's made out to be" is just plain wrong.

Experts and historians the world over disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,027 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I am doing well enough as well in the current climate. I have a good job, new car, low mortgage, 2 holidays per year, save a little, put a bit into pension....and as long as I keep working I wont have an issue. The downside is that there is no such thing as job security, but I have enough money saved to get me by for 3 years or so.

Anyway, am not going to dwell on what anyone else thinks, I work hard enough every week and am happy enough with that.

Why feel guilty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

well some might envy you...but that is not the same as begrudgery, and you know what to say to begrudgers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement