Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to uni with no financial aid?

• 26-06-2012 12:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Finished the leaving cert a few weeks ago. I was planning on doing medicine, got a great hpat and exams seemed to have gone well. Anyways it's starting to look more and more likely that I won't be receiving any financial support from my parents.

Was just wondering if it's possible for a student to survive five years in Dublin/Galway on a part time job(if I can even get one) and whatever other government supports there are. Also, anyone know if you have to start repaying student loans back immediately here?

I won't be eligible for a maintenance grant during my first year. Just trying to figure this out because my only other option is to simply start looking for a full time job now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

People do it! There are some really inexpensive house shares out there, not saying they'll be nice but still. The main thing is start looking for that job NOW because they are few on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I *believe* the best way for you to put yourself through college is to accept and defer your place, move out ASAP either with a job or on welfare (this is to establish your independence) and apply for the student grant to start college next year.

(I should point out that this method may be a decade or two out of date)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Gurgle wrote: »
    I *believe* the best way for you to put yourself through college is to accept and defer your place, move out ASAP either with a job or on welfare (this is to establish your independence) and apply for the student grant to start college next year.

(I should point out that this method may be a decade or two out of date)
    Apparently they don't like people deferring medicine. Taking a spot away from next year's class and giving a spot to someone who "shouldn't" have gotten it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

In UCC medicine students can only defer under exceptional circumstances.
    http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/faqs/

As for the the part time job, maybe you know someone who will graduate this year and has friends/knows someone who could give you their old job etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Exceptional circumstances: I'll starve.
    They're actually quite reasonable about stuff like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭bren2001

Gurgle wrote: »
    Exceptional circumstances: I'll starve.
    They're actually quite reasonable about stuff like this.

Who cares if they dislike people deferring, its about what best for you, not them. Your taking a place away from next years class but adding one to this years!

As stated above deffer and get a job and SAVE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This might be a mad idea, but you wouldn't consider ebay (not selling organs, clothes and stuff). I know it would only be pocket money but still, every penny counts! I make a few bob off it every now and then just getting rid of stuff I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

Go around with CVs and ask to speak to the manager and try and talk yourself up. Try all shops,restaurants,hotels etc.
    Any subjects you pretty good at for the leaving? You could try and give grinds in it to junior and leaving certs.
    Ebay could be a decent earner if you actually discovered something that people buy often or something you could make a decent profit off.
    You could a student loan/overdraft facility which might help you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

I'm in a similar enough situation, parents won't pay for college so I am relying on grants and the likes to get me through it. Ebay, Cex, Gamestop etc are great for selling old things you don't really need anymore! Especially if you have stuff worth selling like musical instruments, gaming consoles that go for pretty decent prices. I'm also trying to get a job for the remainder of the summer and I'll save most of that money. During college, I found out I might be able to get a job from a friend and I'm going to try give geography grinds and lessons in guitar and clarinet. So if you could do anything like that I reckon it would be easy enough money.

Good luck. :)

Advertisement