Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loch Ness Monster Is Real and so Disproves Evolution

Options
  • 26-06-2012 12:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/25/american-fundamentalists-loch-ness-monster-is-real_n_1623533.html?utm_hp_ref=uk
    "They're saying if Noah's flood only happened 4000 years ago, which they believe literally happened, then possibly a sea monster survived. If it was millions of years ago then that would be ridiculous. That's their logic."
    "We think these sort of tactics are likely to be deployed in the UK as we do not have the protection of a separation between the Church and state. A third of schools teaching children are run by religious organisations - that's the danger we have in the UK. They are free to endorse right-wing politics."
    Aren't over 90% of our schools run by religions organisations ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

so the loch ness monster is still not real?

hopes were officially up op.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The Catholic church has no problem with evolution. Americans on the other hand...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Now I'm more confused than ever!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

srsly78 wrote: »
    The Catholic church has no problem with evolution. Americans on the other hand...

Catholic church has no option but to have no problem with evolution. If they could still be claiming the bible is literal then they would be but its not good for business these days. Have to keep the coffer fulls an all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

any pics of the monster?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

srsly78 wrote: »
    indeed. The catholic church does not take every story,proverb or fable in the bible literally unlike many of the protestant churches

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What a time to be alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Creationists.

Gotta love them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Thankfully they don't really consider the bible to be anything more than "just a guideline".

I feel embarrassed for these Americans though.

Even if they did discover that a species of plesiosaur (or a descendent) had managed to survive for 180 million years with a relatively limited supply of food, that wouldn't somehow disproves evolution or "prove" the bible.

Species have gone "missing" for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

is the loch ness monster not just a priest or nun from loch ness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well they also use the example of bigfoot, the yeti and all sorts of other possible creatures as proof of creation. If they are real I dont see how thats proof of creation by an intelligent being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

There's more than one, there's a whole family of them and I have conclusive proof which I will exclusively reveal here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

World is 6000 years old and a man named Noah managed to get all the species onto his boat to survive a global flooding.

Seems legit...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

"They're saying if Noah's flood only happened 4000 years ago, which they believe literally happened, then possibly a sea monster survived. If it was millions of years ago then that would be ridiculous. That's their logic."
    If it can live more than 4000 years why couldn't it live for millions of years?

This nonsense should be seen criminal damage to young impressionable children's minds. Religion seems adept at causing long term harm to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The linked article is far more difficult to believe.

If you suggested apartheid was a positive thing on Twitter you could find yourself in court but it's purportedly being taught as part of an A-Level equivalent curriculum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The stupidity of these people should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,350 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Duggy747 wrote: »
    World is 6000 years old and a man named Noah managed to get all the species onto his boat to survive a global flooding.

Seems legit...

all 10 billion species of animal and then managed to distribute them throughout the world so that the majority of all marsupials are in australia :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Yeah but what's that got to do with Christian fundamentalists?

Human beings believe in all sorts of odd stuff from love at first sight to objective truth to "fate" to Jesus Christ. These Americans are particularly off the scale in terms of their wacky beliefs, but it doesn't apply to all religious people any more than it applies to all Americans or all people named Hank and Pattie.

I guess I really just don't see the direct link between the article and Irish schools. Schools here introduce a pretty tame version of faith these days: look around you, how fundamentalist do young people emerging from the educational institutions seem to you?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Duggy747 wrote: »

Seems legit...
    Why would Nessie need an ark ? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

later12 wrote: »
    I guess I really just don't see the direct link between the article and Irish schools. Schools here introduce a pretty tame version of faith these days: look around you, how fundamentalist do young people emerging from the educational institutions seem to you?
    I don't think there's to much worry about this catching on in Ireland, the real worry is these young people could potentially have access to nuclear weapons when they grow up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Nice try Captain. Nice try.

Lash up a report about creationist nutjobs in the USA and then try and link it to the catholic church and, more specifically, the patronage of schools in Ireland by various religious organisations including the catholic church.

Way to get an honest, reasonable debate going on education reform my friend. You have embiggened us all with your wisdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭northernpower

Well it was about that time that I notice that girl scout was about eight stories tall and was a crustacean from the palezoic era,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Nice try Captain. Nice try.

Lash up a report about creationist nutjobs in the USA and then try and link it to the catholic church and, more specifically, the patronage of schools in Ireland by various religious organisations including the catholic church.

Way to get an honest, reasonable debate going on education reform my friend. You have embiggened us all with your wisdom.

Maybe he was just commenting on why it's not good to make children believe that "magic" is a real, tangible thing in a place of learning?

Nessie, holy "spirits", zombies....what's next? Homoeopathy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

smokingman wrote: »
    Maybe he was just commenting on why it's not good to make children believe that "magic" is a real, tangible thing in a place of learning?

Nessie, holy "spirits", zombies....what's next? Homoeopathy?

Like I say, desperate attempt to smear Irish schools as being run by raving loonies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Why would Nessie need an ark ? :confused:

He didn't, but I'm sure he would've appreciated an invitation.

Or at least got his own boat, with a little sailor cap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Well..... of all the creatures equipped to survive floods, sea monsters would have to be among the best. Makes perfect sense:D

Putting him on an ark though - that probably would have killed him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Talk about a misleading thread title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,542 ✭✭✭Captain Darling

Three fiddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Holy christ. People are stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The US is riddled by all sorts of nut-jobs. You don't have to focus on a little corner of the Southern US to experience them.

There was wide-spread panic in the state of Georgia when the TV announced that Russia had invaded Georgia - isolationist or what?

Remember Jamie Oliver's US school dinners TV show? IIRC the federal school system has declared pizza to be a vegetable, for the purposes of feeding kids at school.

If you fed Nessie on enough US veggies he might sink, then where would their theories be?

Advertisement