Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord issues?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 1:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Myself and my GF took up a place 2 weeks ago for the summer. Cheap rent.

Turns out the house isnt suitable. Dirty, dusty, neighbours dog barks all day, beds & mattresses like something from a torture movie. Not fixeable without a nice bit of work.

So we told the landlord this day last week that we'll be moving after our first month is up. He got upset but said ok. We said if he found someone in between we'll move to help him out

Turns out he has found someone - poor buggers - and is now demanding we move asap. We will do this but he now thinks he can keep whats left of the rent we paid him. About 200euro.

Anything we can do?
    Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭antocann

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

Turns out the house isnt suitable. Dirty, dusty, neighbours dog barks all day, beds & mattresses like something from a torture movie. Not fixeable without a nice bit of work.

So we told the landlord this day last week that we'll be moving after our first month is up. He got upset but said ok. We said if he found someone in between we'll move to help him out

Turns out he has found someone - poor buggers - and is now demanding we move asap. We will do this but he now thinks he can keep whats left of the rent we paid him. About 200euro.

Anything we can do?
    Thank you
    am i reading this rite, because the place needs a clean , and the beds arnt what you expect your moving out ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Regardless what condition the house is, we said we would stay out our time. But he wants us out early & keep our rent it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hi Guys,

Anything we can do?
    Thank you

I suggest that you should explain to the landlord exactly what you mean.

In other words, ring him and tell him that you will agree to facilitate him by moving out early, but that you want him to refund part of the rent that you paid, in proportion to how early you are moving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Just tell him that you aren't moving out until the end of the month you paid for unless he refunds the rent. If he won't do that then tell him that the new tenants will just have to wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

Wow is all I can say. So you agreed to rent a place, not clear what you mean by the summer but lets assume its for a fixed term. Also did you pay a deposit ? and have decided it's not to your standard and want out. So not only is the landlord facilitating this but you also want your rent back for the period you will not be there. Talk about having your cake and eating it, in fact I think you just broke into the bakery.

Bad Landlords aside as this is not the case here it would appear, If you were my tenent I would be holding onto the remainder of the rent as there is a cost for my time to find tenants, readvertise etc and would be reminding you I could hold your deposit for not giving the notice period assuming there is a lease and that I am facilitating you. I fail to see how you viewed the place prior to rental but missed all the issues you claim.

You of course would be entitled to stay until the end of the period of your rent and of course then your landlord would be within his rights to demand you give the correct notice period and withold the deposit if you fail to do so. It works both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Surely everything bar maybe the dog barking is something that you should have noticed and raised with the landlord before signing a lease and handing over your money?

Either way assuming youre not on a fixed term lease (which you cannot break) then you must give him 28 days notice that you are leaving, and he is entitled to expect 28 days notice. However, likewise you are also entitled to 28 days notice, and the landlord cannot ask you to leave without giving you the appropriate notice.

I would recommend that you write to the landlord and inform him that you will be moving out in 28 days (specify a definate date). Any rent that is remaining after this notice period you are entitled to get back.

If you are on a fixed term lease however then all bets are off; you cannot give notice until the end of the fixed term, and likewise you cannot be asked to leave. You must put all problems in writing to the landlord and give him a reasonable amount of time to put the problems right. Only if the issues are not addressed can you then take it further as the landlord is not fulfilling his obligations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I empathise with you OP about the beds and mattress being like a torture item, there is NO WAY you would know this from viewing a place and yes it is unacceptable to put up with, and the problems it can cause you with back issues are just not worth it

How you proceed from here depends on whether you have a contract or not tbh so if you want correct advice then your better off posting this info

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

edellc wrote: »
    I empathise with you OP about the beds and mattress being like a torture item, there is NO WAY you would know this from viewing a place and yes it is unacceptable to put up with, and the problems it can cause you with back issues are just not worth it

How you proceed from here depends on whether you have a contract or not tbh so if you want correct advice then your better off posting this info

I beg to differ as one house we took had dreadful beds and we saw that on inspection and had them removed.

As we did the filthy settee and the even filthier carpets at a slightly later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Would people really not check the matresses out before signing a lease? That would be one of the first things Id check...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

is now demanding we move asap. We will do this but he now thinks he can keep whats left of the rent we paid him. About 200euro.
    Tell him you'll move ASAP if you get your full deposit back, otherwise you'll take your time moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Hi Guys,
    Now you know why the rent was cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I check the mattress yes but do you really know what its like for a nights sleep after lying on it for a couple of minutes?? can hardly say to the LL or EA hold on a sec let me test run it for the night and i'll let you know if i want the place tomorrow hehehe wouldnt that be nice

seriously though if there are springs sticking out or it dips in a major way then yeah you say something but sometimes you just dont know until you spend the night on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Its all sorted lads.
    I know and do admit we were wrong to take the place

Advertisement