Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cat Just Ate A Baby Squirrel in My Garden!

• 26-06-2012 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

We have squirrels that we occassionally feed (not much just from time to time) and supply food that come into our garden, we have a big garden, so there lots of space and trees for birds and the like to be in.

Sadly my mother saw a cat with a baby squirrel (not sure what its doing in our garden) in its mouth waving its arms frantically she chased it and ran off, and now my mums in tears crying like crazy. She says she wont even attempt to feed any more animals, she's in bits right now. Seeing the baby squirrell with its arms and legs waving looking for help. She's badly cut her hand trying to open the door.

The animal kingdoms really awful sometimes.

Comments

I ****ing hate cats, love pussy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

It's your mothers fault for setting up the trap!! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

ah sure, french people eat frogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

my steak tastes lovely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Cats hunt. A baby squirrel is easy prey. Nothing else to this story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Sacrifice the cat to the squirrels, it's the only way you'll appease them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

AntiVirus wrote: »
    It's your mothers fault for setting up the trap!! :mad:

Well thats the thing, they come into our garden with or without food anyway, even when we don't have food they're always about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Seeing the baby squirrell with its arms and legs waving looking for help

lol.. was it signalling to the next door neighbor's dog? It must have left its phone at home with the nuts.. pity that. It could have called the fire brigade otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

It's what cats do.
    RVP 11 wrote: »
    I ****ing hate cats, love pussy though.

I seem to remember you saying something about animals higher up the food chain ................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If it was a grey squirrel then give her a good belly rub!

http://www.independent.ie/farming/news-features/grey-squirrels-are-vermin-urbanites-need-to-realise-this-2282207.html

edit- the cat that is, not your mother.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Grey squrell? They are a pest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

That's nuts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Was the cat biting its nuts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

Cybercubed wrote: »
    Well thats the thing, they come into our garden with or without food anyway, even when we don't have food they're always about.

That wont stand up in a court of law, your mum is going down an an accomplice to murder. :mad:

It's what cats do.

I seem to remember you saying something about animals higher up the food chain ................

Yeah i'm waiting for the day Aliens first arrive, then i'm gonna get me hole.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's similar to charismatic (non-mega) fauna syndrome.

You probably wouldn't care less if it was a rat or pigeon so you can't expect animals to make a distinction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

A squirrel would eat you and your family if it got the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Feed the pussy regularly or it will go elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Screw him if he was a grey, om nom nom. And shame on you for encouraging grey squirrels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

that pussy was after his nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Get a dog, preferably a bull mastiff.

Just ensure that your father continues to get his conjugal rights!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

...red in tooth and claw.
    Tell yore ma to man up.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭Bambii_

poor squirrel :( r.i.p little guy

OldGoat wrote: »
    Tell yore ma

tut tut tut... what are the mods coming to these days ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

poor baby squirrel dreadful,dreadful anytime i see my cat up to mischeif in the garden a water spray does the trick,and another thing,put a bell on his collar so the birds and squirrels hear him coming..it always works there hasnt been a death since we got the collar with the bell..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

davet82 wrote: »
    tut tut tut... what are the mods coming to these days ;)
    Don't know about any other mods but I've become forgetful. :(

My apologies to the Mods of AH for my faux pas.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Acorny story if ever I heard one.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Catweasel

That's nothing, Freddy Starr ate my hamster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭curlzy

Is your hysterically crying mother a vegetarian? If not then she's a bit of a hypocrite really. Or is it only cute animals in pain that upset her. Humans do much much much crueller things. Like force feed animals until their stomachs explode, as a species we're such scumbags.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

We have squirrels that we occassionally feed (not much just from time to time) and supply food that come into our garden, we have a big garden, so there lots of space and trees for birds and the like to be in.

Sadly my mother saw a cat with a baby squirrel (not sure what its doing in our garden) in its mouth waving its arms frantically she chased it and ran off, and now my mums in tears crying like crazy. She says she wont even attempt to feed any more animals, she's in bits right now. Seeing the baby squirrell with its arms and legs waving looking for help. She's badly cut her hand trying to open the door.

was it a grey squirrel? if yes then the cat did the red squirrel a favour. the north american grey squirrels are killing off the native red ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

A lot of love for red squirrels on here. Grey squirrels - they're like the Nazi fascists of Irish ecology.

grey rights!

bloody racists the lot of ye's!

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Cats. One part fireside companion. One part serial killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

There are lots of red squirrels in the parks around my home in a leafy part of Helsinki. My dog's big ambition in life is to catch one, but they are too fast for him and he can't climb trees.:)

Cats, on the other hand, are very good at waiting patiently and pouncing and they catch and eat a lot of squirrels, both kits and adults. So do pine martens, which are likewise fairly common, and eagle owls, and foxes ---

It's all a part of something called nature.:D:D

Its horrible to watch though. I have cats and when they bring something in I either have to get my OH to deal with it or go round screeching to the neighbour to come deal with it. I bet he is glad he bought the house next to mine. Its like the wildlife programmes. I have to put the cushion over my face for the bit where the lion catches the zebra. Nope. Sorry. Cant do that bit. Your mum shouldnt feel bad. Its a horrible thing for an animal lover to witness. I would have been in bits too but its something you just have to try and blank out. Tell yourself hes in squirrel heaven.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If it was grey, then it's vermin anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Speaking of family members and animals.

Our dog was walking down our hall one day when he started getting sick, my mam walked out of the kitchen and saw the dog getting sick, which made my mam get sick. So we walked into the hall to see the dog and my mam getting sick. It was hilarious.

Another dog we had a few years later, took a dump in my little brothers room during the night. My little brother, sleeping on the top bunk, woke up for school and jumped down. He landed his foot straight into it, it was pushed between his toes like a play doh machine.

He came out of his room, walking on the ball of his foot, with all the siht coming out from between his toes, puking his ring up. It was hilarious.

Another time, we had a dog that had been sick that day, so my brother was taking him to the vet, with my other brother (the toe siht brother). The dog siht in the back of the car, which caused my toe siht brother to get sick in the front of the car. Not so hilarious for my brother driving.

I think your entire family both 2 legged and 4 legged need to visit the medical professions and get a standard daily px for an anti emetic. You personally need to dole one out to them all every morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

We live out in the countryside with loads of fields around our house and one of our cats is forever killing birds and baby rabbits. I'd say at least once a week we come home from work to find a half eaten rabbit at the door. Then when we let our springer spaniel out she gets the scent of the rabbit and runs towards it like a mad thing and eats the rest of it.

We have put a collar and bell on the cat but still she keeps on killing. Once the cat is inside the house she is a little angel and curls up on your lap to go asleep.

Im half expecting to find a half eaten cow at our door one of these days.

I love cats but the fact that they are murdering ba**ards by nature is a definite issue with them. It is disturbing.
    Imagine saying that about people! Yer man is grand if you dont think too hard about the six people he killed this year.

Anyway I love my cat so I just go into denial about that side of their nature. Anyone who has a cat has to deal with this and then as Gazzer says they rub up against you as if butter wouldnt melt in their mouths.

The single biggest reason that men exist is to separate the cat from its prey. If Im ever tempted to divorce my OH I just think of that issue and suddenly his quirky little ways dont seem too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Tell your ma to grow a pair

herosa wrote: »
    I love cats but the fact that they are murdering ba**ards by nature is a definite issue with them. It is disturbing.
    Imagine saying that about people! Yer man is grand if you dont think too hard about the six people he killed this year.

Anyway I love my cat so I just go into denial about that side of their nature. Anyone who has a cat has to deal with this and then as Gazzer says they rub up against you as if butter wouldnt melt in their mouths.

The single biggest reason that men exist is to separate the cat from its prey. If Im ever tempted to divorce my OH I just think of that issue and suddenly his quirky little ways dont seem too bad.

And you need to grow a pair as well FFS

Tipp Man wrote: »
    And you need to grow a pair as well FFS

"As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

Wizard of Oz to the tin man or should that be the Tipp man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,037 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Eating baby animals is horrible. Now who's for spring lamb?

Stark wrote: »

True. Still ,I dont want someone to bring one in through my catflap,race up the stairs and torture it to death in my bedroom.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Meanwhile in Oz, cats are wiping out the native animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Stark wrote: »

True. Still ,I dont want someone to bring one in through my catflap,race up the stairs and torture it to death in my bedroom.
    Good thing for you they have slaughter houses that do this for you so you can ignore it :)

"As for you, my galvanized friend, you want a heart. You don't know how lucky you are not to have one. Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable."

Wizard of Oz to the tin man or should that be the Tipp man?

Whenever i see a rabbit on the road I swerve to hit them

They are a plague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Grey squrell Cats? They are a pest!

Corrected the obvious error in your post.

Maybe you should google anti social personality disorder. Shucks. Maybe you are a big softie really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement