Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cocker spaniel unreal bad breath

• 26-06-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

i have a golden cocker spaniel brillaint dog for the family and so on now she is 7 years old never had any problems thank god until now if she was panting in your direction the smell would almost knock you out now before any says it ive tried this food that and the other food it not the food and i looked in her mouth all her teeth look ok not rotten now i had to hold my breath when i was looking into her mouth hope fully some one can help me please thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

What food is she currently on? Has she ever had her teeth cleaned by a vet? there could be bits of food stuck between her teeth.
    She may also have some unlying problems as she is getting older such as kidney disease. Best to get her checked over by a vet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Bad Breath is usually caused by food rotting in the mouth or throat. your vet should be able to find out more, but if the vet finds nothing you can give 1 star anise as a treat and it's menthol / aniseed flavour will freshen up it's breath. I give some to my dog and it loves it, or you can get canine dentasticks which will do the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Vince32 wrote: »
    you can get canine dentasticks which will do the same thing.

Just a thing with those, the pedigree ones have alot of additives so other brands of dentastick would be better.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, please don't bother tinkering around with dentastix or other home remedies, until your vet has confirmed that your dog does not have kidney disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 marijame

DBB wrote: »
    OP, please don't bother tinkering around with dentastix or other home remedies, until your vet has confirmed that your dog does not have kidney disease.
    Agree completely, bad breath is also a symptom of oral/throat cancers. Not to worry you but if a dog of mine had breath issues I would be getting them checked ASAP. Lost our dog last year to squamous cell carcinoma of the tongue and yes bad breath was prevalent before any other physical signs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement