Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Build

Options
  • 26-06-2012 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

I'm ordering my first build in the next few days (when Ulster Bank sorts themselves out and lets me send bank transfers...), and would be grateful if anyone could comment on my build. I've definitely stretched my budget, but can change by maybe €50 if really necessary.
    These are the components I'm buying from Hardwareversand.de:

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€211.70
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€128.51
    ARCTIC COOLING CPU-Kühler Freezer i30|€23.27
    EVGA GeForce GTX 670, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€361.81
    Corsair Enthusiast Series Modular TX750M, 750Watt|€104.95
    NZXT Phantom 410 Midi - gunmetal, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€108.24
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€957.47

I'm also buying a 256GB Samsung 830 from Scan.co.uk and 8GB of 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance LP from Amazon. I got an Asus Xonar DG cheap second hand so I'm sorted for that... Have a DVD drive also.
    As for monitors, I'm thinking of a LGIPS235V-BN, a Dell U2312HM or maybe a Dell Ultrasharp 2412m if I can get one cheap second-hand.
    I have around €190 left for the monitor after the purchase of everything else.
    Would I need anything for assembly bar some screwdrivers and an anti-static wristband? (I know some people swear by anti-static mats, though they seem to be less popular than they used to be and I'm not sure if I'll need one...)

I enjoy constructive criticism and thoroughly appreciated all help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

That's way too much to spend on a PSU, and it's overkill. Get a super-flower Amazon 550 watt for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

You don't even need to wear an anti-static wriststrap if your careful. Just remember to touch the case every once and a while to discharge the static off of yourself.

You may as well just get this set of RAM from HWVS. 1600Mhz makes an iota of difference in an Intel based system Vs 1333Mhz.

That PSU is only barely modular, you only need a 650w PSU for SLI 670s. Have a look at the Super-Flower Amazon 650w or if you want the PSU to be modular have a look at the Super-Flower Atlas 680w.

I would also recommend bumping up the CPU Cooler to a Macho, but be warned it's a biatch to install.

The Samsung 830 is cheaper on HWVS than amazon as fair as I see. €206 on HWVS compared with €218 on amazon. If you really want the small discount it's 200 quid on dabs.ie.

EDIT: Just see that your getting the 830 from scan. With shipping factored in it's €194, it's not really worth while and you may as well just get it all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

Eboggles wrote: »
    That's way too much to spend on a PSU, and it's overkill. Get a super-flower Amazon 550 watt for €50.

Thanks, had specced that build for when I was going for a Fermi GPU, and wanted to be prepared for SLI, forgot how much more energy efficient Kepler is, will be adjusting my PSU :)

Are super-flower reputable? I only heard of them for the first time a week ago (though previously Scan was my primary place for looking at parts, so the fact that they aren't stocked there is probably why).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

I'd buy a Corsair Carbide 500R instead of that phantom, cheap(er) and a fantastically built case. Although if it comes down to looks it's all about opinion.

You don't even need to wear an anti-static wriststrap if your careful. Just remember to touch the case every once and a while to discharge the static off of yourself.

You may as well just get this set of RAM from HWVS. 1600Mhz makes an iota of difference in an Intel based system Vs 1333Mhz.

That PSU is only barely modular, you only need a 650w PSU for SLI 670s. Have a look at the Super-Flower Amazon 650w or if you want the PSU to be modular have a look at the Super-Flower Atlas 680w.

I would also recommend bumping up the CPU Cooler to a Macho, but be warned it's a biatch to install.

Cool, I guess I can skip the wriststrap then. I intend to overclock (to around 4.2ghz), would the difference in ram frequency still be minimal?
    Cool, I'll check out the Super-flower PSUs then.

Hmm Ivy Bridge runs cooler with Macho I'm guessing? Haven't seen it any benchmarks, might check some out later.
    Thanks Tij, I really appreciate all your help :)
    I'd buy a Corsair Carbide 500R instead of that phantom, cheap(er) and a fantastically built case. Although if it comes down to looks it's all about opinion.
    I was strongly considering that case, but it really came down to aesthetics at the end of the day, the Gunmetal Edition of the phantom is the only case near that price range that I really have an eye for...

Also what's the general consensus on this PSU? Which of the Super-flower PSUs should I be looking at?

• Advertisement

Nazata wrote: »
    Cool, I guess I can skip the wriststrap then. I intend to overclock (to around 4.2ghz), would the difference in ram frequency still be minimal?
    Cool, I'll check out the Super-flower PSUs then.

Hmm Ivy Bridge runs cooler with Macho I'm guessing? Haven't seen it any benchmarks, might check some out later.
    Thanks Tij, I really appreciate all your help :)

I was strongly considering that case, but it really came down to aesthetics at the end of the day, the Gunmetal Edition of the phantom is the only case near that price range that I really have an eye for...

The RAM makes no difference for overclocking on an Intel based system and here's the difference in FPS in Crysis.

The Macho is a better cooler, it will come in useful when overclocking because Ivy runs quite hot.

The RAM makes no difference for overclocking on an Intel based system and here's the difference in FPS in Crysis.

The Macho is a better cooler, it will come in useful when overclocking because Ivy runs quite hot.

Sweet thanks, I think I'll be going for that ram and cooler then.

Is there any point in getting the box version over the tray of the 3570k? If I get the tray will I still have remove whatever TIM they have on it?

Sweet thanks, I think I'll be going for that ram and cooler then.

Is there any point in getting the box version over the tray of the 3570k? If I get the tray will I still have remove whatever TIM they have on it?

There's no TIM on the processor itself. The TIM is pre-applied to the stock heatsink itself. Go for the boxed version since it has a longer warranty.

There's no TIM on the processor itself. The TIM is pre-applied to the stock heatsink itself. Go for the boxed version since it has a longer warranty.

Perfect, I'll go for the boxed version then. Thanks again Tij!

Is the Antec True Power 750W meant to be good? It's very reasonable on Scan's today only page, and so I'll probably order it this morning along with a Samsung 830 SSD...
    Also does anyone have any recommendations for 120mm fans?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

One game doesn't really tell the fully story. While RAM doesn't make difference in limiting your overclocking capabilities as it did in previous generations, it might make a difference in the performance of an overclocked system.
    Take a look at the results for Civ 5 at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_7.html

Granted, 4.7GHz is a substantial enough overclock, but it is pretty clear that some games and programs will benefit from faster RAM. Since 1600MHz RAM is now officially support by Ivy Bridge, I would be inclined to go for that. That is assuming budget allows and you're not sacrificing other high priorities like an overclockable CPU or SSD.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/1600+Low+Voltage/44321/8GB-Kit+G.Skill+RipJaws-X+PC3-12800U+CL9.article

Would the Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W struggle with SLI 670's due to only having 29A max output on +12V?
    Could someone clarify what the significance of this figure is please?
    Monotype wrote: »
    One game doesn't really tell the fully story. While RAM doesn't make difference in limiting your overclocking capabilities as it did in previous generations, it might make a difference in the performance of an overclocked system.
    Take a look at the results for Civ 5 at the bottom of the page.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/memory/display/sandy-bridge-ddr3_7.html

Thanks Monotype, think I will go for 1600mhz ram after all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Is that frame rates in Civ5? That does strike me as a bit redundant :D

Point taken though - guess I need to OC my RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I'd maybe go for the wrist-strap for a bit of added peace-of-mind. I mean, you can get them for about a fiver and that's definitely worth it so that you can be sure that you don't fry something very expensive. :D

Would the Be Quiet Pure Power L8 730W struggle with SLI 670's due to only having 29A max output on +12V?
    Could someone clarify what the significance of this figure is please?

It's got two 12V rails at 30A each. The significance is that that it can deliver 660W of 12V power according to the specifications. Most components in your PC, including the hungry graphics cards, use 12V so that's why it's important.

Review and info on the PSU here.
    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/beQuiet/PurePower_L8_730W/2.html

Is it scan that you're buying from? Over the weekend on their today only page, they usually have a few reasonable PSUs. The Antec True Power New 750W has been showing up lately there at around £65/€80.
    A good 600W PSU could carry SLI 670s with a bit of overclocking. 650W-750W would be plenty to cover expansions and some extreme overclocking. Going beyond that would be overkill.

Is it scan that you're buying from? Over the weekend on their today only page, they usually have a few reasonable PSUs. The Antec True Power New 750W has been showing up lately there at around £65/€80.
    A good 600W PSU could carry SLI 670s with a bit of overclocking. 650W-750W would be plenty to cover expansions and some extreme overclocking. Going beyond that would be overkill.

I'll probably be ordering it from either Hardwareversand (where I'm ordering most of my build from tomorrow), or Komplett (where I'm ordering my monitor from)...
    So if I were to use the L8 730W I would be able to use 670's in SLI even though the max +12V output is 29A?

Will be ordering some stuff from Amazon too soon, so they're also a contender (though their PSUs are usually priced terribly) will also pick up a wrist-strap from them (good call v.e.r.b.a.l).
    Would there be any PSUs that would be more suitable for this price range? (Will be ordering from Hardwareversand tomorrow morning, so would love if someone could reply tonight...)

It's not 29A, it's 2 x 30A. (Where do you see 29? Is it on their website?) I'm not bowled over by the quality of that PSU. It's okay, but if I had the opportunity, I'd go for some others first.

The 850W Adata PSU from komplett is good value, even though 850W is far above your needs.

You're right about amazon and their PSUs. Bad selection too. Sometimes their XFX ones are competitive enough with free delivery. They can be cheaper for cases as scan will charge a fortune for shipping the heavy ones.

Scan have a reasonably good selection of PSUs. As I said, the weekend is usually the best time for them. Hardwareversand have some good PSUs too:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/24479/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+650W.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/39875/XFX+PRO650W+Core+Edition+Full+Wired+Power+Supply.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/48787/Corsair+GS+Series%2C+700+Watt.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/46158/Corsair+Enthusiast+Series+TX650+V2.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/38006/Super-Flower+SF650P14XE+Golden+Green+Pro+80plus+gold.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/600+-+700+Watts/33057/Super-Flower+SF700P14XE+Golden+Green+80plus+gold+Modular.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/700+-+800+Watts/42451/XFX+PRO750W+Core+Edition+Full+Wired+Power+Supply.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/700+-+800+Watts/30071/Super-Flower+Amazon+80Plus+800W.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/700+-+800+Watts/48798/Corsair+GS+Series%2C+800+Watt.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/700+-+800+Watts/38017/Super-Flower+SF750P14XE+Golden+Green+Pro+80plus+gold.article
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/700+-+800+Watts/46160/Corsair+Enthusiast+Series+TX750+V2.article

Mind you, I wouldn't buy Corsair's GS line over the Adata PSU as you're buying nearly the same PSU for dearer but not modular. The XFX PSU is probably not that much different from the TXv2 PSUs.

It's not 29A, it's 2 x 30A. (Where do you see 29? Is it on their website?) I'm not bowled over by the quality of that PSU. It's okay, but if I had the opportunity, I'd go for some others first.

On the Scan page for the BeQuiet 730W L8 it says Max. Output +12V:29 A
    after saying each rail is 30A.

Of the PSUs you suggested which are modular?
    Once again Monotype, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've heard great things about that PSU myself, I think I may just pick it...

• Advertisement

Turns out that PSU is 24 euros more expensive than it says on the website...
    Will probably just change my PSU, but can't decide which to change it to :/

Edit: Think I'll order an Adata 850W from Komplett.ie on Monotype's recommendation, thanks Monotype your knowledge of PC components seems second to none :)

Good modular ones that come to mind, are the modular Superflower golden greens - they come in modular and non-modular flavours. You'll see clearly in the picture. Usually the ones ending in 50W aren't modular, so the modular ones are the 600W, 700W, 800W ones while 550, 650, 750 aren't.
    Other ones on hardwareversand are the HX as uncle sam said, of course,... usually kind of expensive though. The TXm from Corsair is also modular, but this is very similar to the Adata on komplett which is cheaper. There's also their high end AX line, which is also pretty expensive and competing with high-end Enermax and Seasonic X series.

On scan, there's a load of PSUs, a quick look at their modular 600W+ range, I see the XFX XXX edition (core edition is their non-modular line - the 750W and 850W of this line are very good quality). XFX 650W, Corsair HX, AX, a load of Enermax PSUs, and good Antec ones too (e.g TPN). Some of the Bequiet ones are actually decent enough but I can't remember their series straight off. Scan have a good selection but you'd really need to be buying other stuff from them to make their shipping worthwhile.

Ah, they've got loads of them, how much do you want to spend?

You could get an OCZ 750W ZT for €94.53 delivered from dabs.

On scan, there's a load of PSUs, a quick look at their modular 600W+ range, I see the XFX XXX edition (core edition is their non-modular line - the 750W and 850W of this line are very good quality). XFX 650W, Corsair HX, AX, a load of Enermax PSUs, and good Antec ones too (e.g TPN). Some of the Bequiet ones are actually decent enough but I can't remember their series straight off. Scan have a good selection but you'd really need to be buying other stuff from them to make their shipping worthwhile.

Ah, they've got loads of them, how much do you want to spend?

You could get an OCZ 750W ZT for €94.53 delivered from dabs.

Will check the OCZ out...
    I may be able to wrangle half price delivery from Scan as I have more than 20 posts on the Bit-Tech forums and their representative there said I should be able to get the discount equivalent to UK delivery if I rang them.
    Would like to spend around €90 for a decent modular PSU somewhere near the 600-750W range.
    I'd probably need more SATA ports and Molexes than the Adata provides, (maybe 4+ of molexes and 3+ of SATA) preferably with x4 6 Pin molexes (even though I can't see SLI happening any time soon, would like to be prepared...)

Edit: I'm really liking the look of the OCZ, reading some reviews right now, seems to have ample connectors, good performance and a 5 year warranty to boot. Will have a look at some of the others you suggested but this is on top at the moment...

Oh yeah, I heard someone getting discounted shipping alright by ringing them on this forum. I've ordered from them a few times but couldn't really be bothered talking an order through on the phone.
    I'd still wait until the weekend or late Friday to see if that Truepower New shows up again. Don't know if their offices would be open on the weekend but late Friday/early Monday, the stuff would still be the same on today only.
    Have you got a lot of old hard drives that you need so many molex cables? What's that about 6pin molexes? The PCI-E connectors is it?

Oh yeah, I heard someone getting discounted shipping alright by ringing them on this forum. I've ordered from them a few times but couldn't really be bothered talking an order through on the phone.
    I'd still wait until the weekend or late Friday to see if that Truepower New shows up again. Don't know if their offices would be open on the weekend but late Friday/early Monday, the stuff would still be the same on today only.
    Have you got a lot of old hard drives that you need so many molex cables? What's that about 6pin molexes? The PCI-E connectors is it?

Sorry, yeah I meant PCI-E connectors. I have a couple old hard-drives I'd like to use and a few case fans (though I think the fan controller in my case should be able to distribute power to them from one or two molexes). Will take up your advice and check out Scan's weekend Today Onlys, will probably arrive before HWVS's items with a Monday order anyway.

They're on yesterday's (for £64.79) which haven't changed yet, do you reckon I should get it?

The Adata PSU has 2x6pin and 2x8pin. The 8 pins are 6+2 pins, so you could use them as 4x6pin!

If you're going to have old hard drives, have you considered the IDE (PATA) connectors that they need? There's none on your board...

You can buy adapters or even different modular cables to get extra 4 pin molex connectors. You can get IDE->SATA adapters too.

The Adata PSU has 2x6pin and 2x8pin. The 8 pins are 6+2 pins, so you could use them as 4x6pin!

If you're going to have old hard drives, have you considered the IDE (PATA) connectors that they need? There's none on your board...

You can buy adapters or even different modular cables to get extra 4 pin molex connectors. You can get IDE->SATA adapters too.

Yeah I already picked up some IDE adapters which were going cheap.
    Do you reckon I should go with the Adata, True Power New or the OCZ ZT (which won't be in stock for 1-2 weeks in dabs)?
    Hmm interesting, if I do go for the Adata will look into getting some extra 4 pin adapters...

They're on yesterday's (for £64.79) which haven't changed yet, do you reckon I should get it?

~ 82-83 euro.

If you're sure that it has everything that you want. You can always add it to your basket now and buy later today. Might disappear if you close the browser window. I don't know how a telephone call or saving the basket will come into effect. I wouldn't make a rushed decision anyway (but it's a good PSU ata good price).

• Advertisement

~ 82-83 euro.

If you're sure that it has everything that you want. You can always add it to your basket now and buy later today. Might disappear if you close the browser window. I don't know how a telephone call or saving the basket will come into effect. I wouldn't make a rushed decision anyway (but it's a good PSU ata good price).

Yeah I think that's a good call, will wait and do some more research on the PSUs, it'll take around a week (quite possibly more) for my HWVS order to get here since I'm only making the bank transfer today. Thanks for all the help Monotype, it's very hard to find someone knowledgeable about PSUs, most people I know tend to just buy a branded name and be done with it..

Advertisement