Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I suppose if absolute modularity is an issue, the TPN mightn't be the best choice as I'd class it a bit more as a semi-modular; there's still quite a few cables attached. The ZT is great in that regard.

Don't forget to look them up on the review database. There's not very many on the Adata PSU, but bear in mind that it's built on CWT's PSH II series, which is also the same used in Corsair's GS and TXm lines, so you can always look at those for a comparison of quality to expect. Adata are still new in the PSU world, which is probably why they are cheaper than their competitors. Corsair knows that people will just throw the extra money at them for their name. :D ...rightly enough too, I suppose, since any time they have released sub-par products, they have been quickly replaced when greeted by an uproar (e.g., CX line and the TX replacement line in their PSUs, as well as their recall of SSDs).

For reference if you're researching, the Antec TPN is built on a variation of Seasonic's M12D platform. There's more tweaks on this one so you can't directly compare it, but you could probably look at the likes of XFX's PSUs or Corsair's TXv2 (built on S12II, if I recall correctly) or Seasonics own PSUs for comparisions of quality.

By the time you've studied all the PSUs, I don't know if it will be worth saving a tenner but you will know a lot more! Have a read of the PSU guide in my signature if you want a starting place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

I got a Golden green 650W non-modular for €80 from HWVS.
    As I opened it last night and seen the thick mass of connections, I wondered to myself if I should've just ponied up the few extra lids & purchased a modular :D

Still waiting for my carbide series 500 case to arrive, hopefully it has good cable management options.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nazata

On some reviews on Amazon (I know it's hardly the best place to get info on components but I was looking for a place with the PSU in stock) the OCZ 750W ZT has some bad reviews due to being very noisy under load?
    Does anyone have experience with this PSU? Is this problem genuinely in all of these PSUs or did these people have bad luck and get damaged ones/ they didn't have them in a suitable environment?

I've been checking out some reviews and I think I'll pay the extra 20E for a Corsair HX Series 650W (essentially the CMPSU-650HXUK) from dabs, especially as the ZT won't be in stock for 1-2 weeks.
    Has anyone heard anything negative about it? If anyone could share their experiences of this PSU I'd be really grateful...
    I've been checking out reviews on the PSU Review Database (thanks for showing me that Monotype) and they all seem positive...

Edit: The PSU is cheaper on Amazon, is there any reason to go with the more expensive option of Dabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Both seem to be the older 650W HX, unless they just haven't relabelled them. The newer version has a gold rated efficiency - I'd expect it to show up more expensive as a result.

A good PSU in all, likely to be similar quality to the Antec TPN with extra modularity, although possibly slightly expensive for what you are getting. No reason not to get it from amazon really unless you don't like them.

Another line to look at are XFX high end ones, the 750W and 850W XXX Black Edition ones. Not as good value as they were unfortunately, with the 750W one now actually €5 dearer.
    http://www.dabs.ie/products/xfx-850w-xxx-edition-single-rail-semi-modular-psu-7TD1.html

It's a silver rated PSU and apparently very good and quiet. Made by Seasonic and should be a little better than the HX. Maybe you might find a 750W one when you're look around. The 650W is a little lower in quality.

• Advertisement

I'm tempted by the XFX, but I feel like I may go below 20% load at times on an 850W and the efficiency will be compromised (those links in your sig really helped regarding power efficiency).
    Have a couple of Amazon vouchers so I think I'll use them and go for the HX650 :)

Edit: Just got an email from Hardwareversand saying my packages have been given to DHL, very happy right now...

Advertisement