Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Istallation help

Options
  • 26-06-2012 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

well im panicing a bit here but my motherboard dosent seem to fit correctly, all the holes are several millimetres off as if they want me to push the mobo tothe left more but the ports wont move any more.

also the cpu to need too much pressureto drop the arm and as i do makes small scrathing noises

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

well im panicing a bit here but my motherboard dosent seem to fit correctly, all the holes are several millimetres off as if they want me to push the mobo tothe left more but the ports wont move any more.

also the cpu to need too much pressureto drop the arm and as i do makes small scrathing noises

What do you mean? Can you take photos?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

That's normal for the CPU, when closing the arm on the CPU it does take quite a bit of force to get down and it will cause some scratching noises but the only part that gets scratched is the little side pieces of the CPU cap which are there to hold the CPU in place. It's okay :)

I'd imagine the problem with the motherboard is as you said, the motherboard needs to go further over to the left. Make sure the motherboard I/O shield is in fully again it might take a little bit of force to get the shield in. Once the shield is in fully then the rear I/O panel should go right into the shield. It might take a few trys to get all the I/O ports to line up properly but the motherboard definitely fits into the case and all the screw holes will line up correctly.
    The motherboard & case are both ATX which has been the standard for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I notice with some motherboards that you do need to give them a very good push to keep them in place and screw them in. As in constant pressure while you're pushing. Don't screw them in too hard, just until the top is touching the board, they'll keep in place alright. Screw each one in a little, then tighten them up a bit more.
    As Fluffy said, check the I/O ports are lining up all the tiem.

About the CPU, just be careful. I was assembling an Intel system there a while ago and the closing mechanism was a little bit funny alright and I remember something scratching a bit like you described. I just tried again for a few minutes in slightly different ways and it went in a bit easier. Just open and close it a bit until it goes down smoothly. You'll still need a bit of pressure, but if you're not sure it's going right, try again. Look at a few videos of it to see it's going right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

sounds like the IO shield isn't clicked into the case properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭conorhickey

I think ive fixed the motherboard not going in right but their is still one screw that is milimetres off but it seems ok,

as for the cpu, i am getting resistance from the lever at about 87 degrees and a scratching noises as if the pins are rubbing together, so to avoid damage im leaving it to the expert whos coming tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the first time is always the scariest :)

the innuendo here is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

Did you end up going with the Merc Alpha and an AsRock ATX board? I had to put a Pro4 into the Merc Beta and by god I had to really shove the thing right into the I/O guard, there were all sorts of worrying creaking noises from the mobo but it seems to be working fine. As Sir Digsby says, first time's the scariest!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Yes but its an important part of becoming an adult, just be sure to use protection op

as in a wrist strap :)

Yeh i shoved the motherboard in and with some force got it in, and got a guy to help me with the cpu, turns out nothing was wrong and i was just overreacting. If i ever do it again it will be much easier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

now this thread is really starting to sound like my sex life :D

Advertisement