Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless broadband in rural Carlow

• 26-06-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Would anyone know a good isp that provides a dedicated wireless broadband in rural Carlow, near Tullow. I mainly do remote access and desperately need a higher upload speed and lower contention ratio. My phone line is no good for wired so I am currently using a wireless modem from Meteor - terribly slow and unreliable. I am willing to pay the extra $$ for the service, as I am self employed and do a lot of work from home but I can't seem to find anyone that would be recommended.

I would really appreciate any advice out there.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

try these and see if they cover your area.

Reach Broadband - http://www.reachbroadband.com/
    Aptus - http://www.aptus.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

I am with Aptus and I am home office based too and have had Aptus with nearly 4 years now and have very very rarely had an issue with them.

Have a look in the Carlow forum (Link) aswell as there are some threads over there on different providers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 surfiemike

Thanks for that, tommycahir, do you mind me asking what download/upload package you have?

Hi

I am using their rural broadband option and have the Aptus Tres package which is 5Mb Download, 512K upload and a 30GB traffic limit.

tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi

I am using their rural broadband option and have the Aptus Tres package which is 5Mb Download, 512K upload and a 30GB traffic limit.
    [/Quote

Thanks, I'll be talking to them today, it seems reach and aptus are te only two in rhis area but no one is responding to me from Reach, poor start already.

• Advertisement

surfiemike wrote: »
    tommycahir wrote: »
    Hi

Thanks, I'll be talking to them today, it seems reach and aptus are te only two in rhis area but no one is responding to me from Reach, poor start already.

If you do decide to go with them mention that I referred you ;)

You should also ask them about what their current special offer is as in the past they have had free installation or discounted installation.

I think this gives you a good idea on what you can expect from Aptus during the office day also

2031828714.png

Will do, I'm currently talking to Wicklow Broadband, they have suggested I might be able to get their service as well since I'm reasonably close to the Wicklow border. If I go with Aptus, I will definitely mention you :).

Your speedtest is bang on for what you are paying for.. Have you any problems with congestion in peak hours around early morning or evening times? I often have to work these hours given the time difference with Australia.

No issues that I have noticed but if you want I can get another speedtest up and running at around 6-7 this evening.

I'd appreciate that, that has been my major concern, consistency in speeds is not a guarantee from anybody unfortunately.

sorry got distracted yesterday evening here is a capture from a minute or 2 ago

2034148955.png

Not sure why the screenshot is saying 3:57 it was defo 4:57 when I took it. :S

• Advertisement

Pretty good for consistency, I have an engineer coming around to assess viability from my place, so will see how we go. Thanks for all you help.

Advertisement