Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychological Bullying

Options
  • 26-06-2012 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I work in the public sector and each year worry about budget cuts and job losses. About a month ago, notification was received from the Department stating that there will be significant cuts in our area next year but not confirming a figure.

However, today the Chairman came in for a (non budget related) meeting and casually said that we were going to get 30% cut. When I asked if it would effect each local office, he said that it would. I was absolutely stunned and felt sick with worry. When I spoke to my manager about this, she said that our Chairman likes to worry people by scaring them and that as there had been no more official government updates received, he didn't know any more than we did. She went on to give examples of the Chairman frightening staff unnecessarily on previous occasions.

While this was of some comfort to me, I still feel shakey and nervous at the prospect of my job being threatened. I feel that the Chariman should not be allowed to psychologically bully staff by doing this, but I also know that if I complain then my job will definitely be axed as it is he who makes the decisions. I feel really frustrated at being put in this position. I love my job and enjoy coming to work each day, but today I have not been productive as I feel sick with worry.

Also, on the occasions that my CEO visits our branch - today being one of those days - he speaks to me as if I am a receptionist or secretary. I have a PhD, hold an Officers position and resent this. He has just told me to 'ring down and order coffee' for them! I wouldn't mind if he was asking this as a favour, but he clearly doesn't see anything wrong with this. We have an open plan office and I can't shut a door when he comes in. Again, if I complain, I will 'pay' when it comes to them making cutbacks in October.

Has anyone else come up against anything like this?

(Posted anonymously for obvious reasons.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

That's awful, it seems employers can do whatever they wish at the moment, they know the job market is all but at a virtual standstill.
    At least your cut isn't happening until next year, it gives you time to explore your options.
    I think telling you in advance though is very demoralising and this a big part of the problem. Morale. I would say continue as you are, taking support from friends and family and prepare your sums how the cut will affect you, loans, cost of living etc., keeping your eyes peeled for other options. It's very tough, I understand that totally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Hi OP

I've had managers whose idea of a weekly pep talk was to point out how much stuff we still had to do , and how the deadline to get it all done was a week closer :)

I think a lot of managers think that scaring people is they way to get them to do more.

The other alternatives are that he/she doesn't care about what they are saying , or that they think they are being communicative by passing on such news.

I'd try and work out how realistic your worries about the effects of a 30% cut are , and then park them.

As for the CEO , I think forget about this , there are plenty rude /arrogent people about - just try and remember not to do this when your the CEO :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I'm going against the grain here, but I don't think this is bullying. It is highly likely the Chair knows more than your Manager, either through official communication or what he hears on the grapevine.
    He is giving ample warning that significant cuts are coming in the region of 30% and they will be applied across the board. The news has left you understandably worried, but I don't see how it's bullying.

Likewise with the CEO. Noone is above making tea/coffee. It's not some underlings job. Well not in the PS/NGOs IME.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Can you just confirm if you are in a public sector body, or an NGO providing services to a public body? Have you approached your union about this issue?

Advertisement