Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kasabian/Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Marley Park - 23 August 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,824 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

SB-08 wrote: »
    Only 12,000 tickets sold for the gig which is very surprising. Would've thought there was alot more there last night. Seeing as both have sold out the O2 which holds 14,000 it is a surprise both didn't sell the 22,000. But I suppose Noel has played 4 times in the past year.

They're both fairly dull acts though. Nothing music really. Something to tap your foot to at best.

Neither are the type of band where you'll get something different going to see them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Kasabian and Noel both usually play a 20 song setlist each. Due to the technical isssues, Noel only got to do 13 and Kasabian did 16. The gig was still great and well worth 50 quid but it is nonetheless annoying that we missed out on so many songs we should have heard. Only 12,000 tickets sold for the gig which is very surprising. Would've thought there was alot more there last night. Seeing as both have sold out the O2 which holds 14,000 it is a surprise both didn't sell the 22,000. But I suppose Noel has played 4 times in the past year.

Not sure about Kasabian but the only song cut from Noel's set was Mucky Fingers, one of my friends got the set list from the sound engineers

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

Amazing night that flair was beautiful ! When will they be back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

The Nal wrote: »
    They're both fairly dull acts though. Nothing music really. Something to tap your foot to at best.

Neither are the type of band where you'll get something different going to see them again.

Kasabian, a band to tap your foot to?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Frankie7

Kasabian, a band to tap your foot to?? :confused:
    We thinking of the same Kasabian here??:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭tedobrien98

What's the place like? Will we need wellies for Tom Jones and Van the Man tommorow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

They're both fairly dull acts though. Nothing music really.

You can't post something like that without telling us what you think is "something music".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

I just want to congratulate the Guards and security on a great job lady night. It was a really fun gig made better imo that everybody felt safe. Thought maybe security were a little ott at one point getting people down off shoulders, breaking up a non existent fight, but the guards were really brilliant. Jovial, tolerant, and enjoyed a but of banter with the crowd.

Guards don't normally come in for praise but i thought they were exceptional last night.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Couldnt disagree more . Kasabian keep getting better each time i see them especially Serge who over the years has really come out of his shell and become more confident . that was my 7th time seeing them and will still go see them again

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bru10

I just want to congratulate the Guards and security on a great job lady night. It was a really fun gig made better imo that everybody felt safe. Thought maybe security were a little ott at one point getting people down off shoulders, breaking up a non existent fight, but the guards were really brilliant. Jovial, tolerant, and enjoyed a but of banter with the crowd.

Guards don't normally come in for praise but i thought they were exceptional last night.

an unprovoked attack and arrest of my brother last night will be resulting in a complaint to the ombudsman. Was otherwise a well policed and managed event. Cracking concert aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 SuperBW

Kasabian and Noel both usually play a 20 song setlist each. Due to the technical isssues, Noel only got to do 13 and Kasabian did 16. The gig was still great and well worth 50 quid but it is nonetheless annoying that we missed out on so many songs we should have heard. Only 12,000 tickets sold for the gig which is very surprising. Would've thought there was alot more there last night. Seeing as both have sold out the O2 which holds 14,000 it is a surprise both didn't sell the 22,000. But I suppose Noel has played 4 times in the past year.

I cant believe only 12,000 tix sold although thinking back it makes sense as half way down the field (in front of the bar) was boarded up. Im not buying into the whole 'Noel has played here 4 times this year',. If Noel didnt play at all I would have thought Kasabian would still be able to shift 22000 tix - but now I see they couldn't.

I still believe having the gig on a Thursday night plays a big role as it means anyone who is not from in or around Dublin wont go as they would have to take 2 days off work.

The worst thing about this is MCD will most likely never give Kasabian an outdoor headline slot again as they now know they cant shift big numbers. What do you think Furious Red?

For the record 3rd time seeing Noel solo and 6th time seeing Kasabian - both immense.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

SuperBW wrote: »
    I cant believe only 12,000 tix sold although thinking back it makes sense as half way down the field (in front of the bar) was boarded up. Im not buying into the whole 'Noel has played here 4 times this year',. If Noel didnt play at all I would have thought Kasabian would still be able to shift 22000 tix - but now I see they couldn't.

I still believe having the gig on a Thursday night plays a big role as it means anyone who is not from in or around Dublin wont go as they would have to take 2 days off work.

The worst thing about this is MCD will most likely never give Kasabian an outdoor headline slot again as they now know they cant shift big numbers. What do you think Furious Red?

For the record 3rd time seeing Noel solo and 6th time seeing Kasabian - both immense.
    I find it hard to believe only 12,000 tickets were sold tbh since it looked like a lot more , the crowd size was about the same as it was for Green Day which was about 20,000 .

Nah it wont be the last time they get a headline outdoor gig

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I actually wouldn't be a big kasabian fan so had it just been noel headlining I would definitely have gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SuperBW

yellow hen wrote: »
    I actually wouldn't be a big kasabian fan so had it just been noel headlining I would definitely have gone.

That makes no sense it was a 'double headliner ' so you could have gone to see noel and then left (madness I tell ya):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Great gig!! Got in pretty early so we got into the pit, no cues and quick through security. Lots of security and guards around but after SHM I can understand. Kasabian were immense, will definitely be out to see them again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Anyone watch the Cribs at it?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

Anyone watch the Cribs at it?

Yeah I got in for most of The Cribs set,
    They sounded great, vvv loud, good sound for a rock show!

The crowd tho mostly chatted and strolled about not bothering to listen,
    The only people that seemed to be into what was going on was the pit which was half full all day long, despite stewards saying the wristbands had been giving out.

They played most of there new album which sounded very good live, and some tunes from Ignore the Ignorant and Mens Needs, Womens Needs Whatever,

I'll look forward to hopefully seeing them again soon, indoors hopefully, and with a crowd that would rather listen than talk about turbo shades and hotpants.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Kasabian are on BBC3 now pretty much same setlist as Thurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭Marty McFly

Great concert, Ive seen Kasabian five times now and they never dissapppoint always immense live, a band you foot tap to? Really? Fair enough if your not a fan but to make that statement is a bit ridicilous.

Only 12,000 tickets sold if true is shocking but like others have said id blame that on the fact it was on a Thursday even though I work in Dublin I had to take the Thurs and Friday off work for it which is not an option for a lot of people plus with the pcinic coming up id say a lot of people are counting the pennys for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Went up from Cork, mainly for The Cribs and Noel, who were both AMAZING. The Cribs are a hilariously dodgy band I've followed for some time, was delighted to finally see them, great setlist and ending with Ryan hurling his Mustang around! Wish the crowd had been better but as a support act I suppose it was never going to be brilliant.

Second time seeing Noel after the O2 gig in February, he was much better this time, crowd went mad for him even after the worrying technical problems at the start. Great performance, pure legend.

Finally, despite not being a great fan of Kasabian prior to the gig, I had heard great things about them as a live band, and they certainly didn't disappoint. Top class, Tom was one of the best frontmen I've ever seen live. Crowd went wild for the big songs and the stuff from Velociraptor, which I've since become more familar with, was equally well received.

All in all great gig and well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 AsanteSamuel22

There is always one flare at each Kasabian concert, roughly in the exact same area of the crowd at roughly the exact same song in he setlist. With the security being so tight I'd say it was planted. Just a thought

Clanket wrote: »
    You can't post something like that without telling us what you think is "something music".

Anything from Chopin to Tom Waits to Billie Holiday to Ry Cooder to Toumani Diabate to The Prodigy etc etc. Something interesting. Kasabian are ok but fairly bog standard. 3 chords and white noise. And a **** singer.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, could hear the gig from my house. They sounded good.

Anything from Chopin to Tom Waits to Billie Holiday to Ry Cooder to Toumani Diabate to The Prodigy etc etc. Something interesting. Kasabian are ok but fairly bog standard. 3 chords and white noise. And a **** singer.

Just my opinion.

Anyway, could hear the gig from my house. They sounded good.

what! i think his voice is excellent even though most of their songs are very demanding on the vocals. The a cappella version of "She Loves You" at the end shows his voice is very solid, its not easy to do something like that

Just my opinion.
    what! i think his voice is excellent even though most of their songs are very demanding on the vocals. The a cappella version of "She Loves You" at the end shows his voice is very solid, its not easy to do something like that

I wouldn't bother arguing with "his opinion". It's embedded and will not change. Although why he finds the need to spout it in a thread about the two bands he calls boring is beyond me.

Tom is a great singer and the a cappella was indeed extremely solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

There is always one flare at each Kasabian concert, roughly in the exact same area of the crowd at roughly the exact same song in he setlist. With the security being so tight I'd say it was planted. Just a thought

Was standing directly behind the guy who lit the flare and I highly doubt he was a plant, he was in a big group of lads who were fairly well on it, and passed the flare around between them when security came over. Security ended up throwing it on the ground and throwing themselves on top of it to put it out...ouch!

I wouldn't bother arguing with "his opinion". It's embedded and will not change.

Not true. I've seen both bands enough times to have a valid opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Glad I finally found this thread.

I was pissed off at the travel arrangements for this concert. MCD didn't organise with the private bus company to have enough buses and when me and my friend went to try get on one we were told they were all sold out. This was at 6 o' clock. Very poor event management on behalf of MCD. We then tried the 16 bus but they were all full up. We then tried a taxi but couldn't get far in traffic. In the end we didn't go to the gig.

It's because of this I will never go to a gig outside of Dublin City or any city ever again and I was at Slane 2009 when the travel arrangements were very bad. Gig finishing at 10 and then not getting home by bus till 4 in the morning.

In all fairness, did you not think to sort out your travel arrangements earlier? Showing up and expecting to get on a bus at 6pm isn't my idea of being organised.

In all fairness, did you not think to sort out your travel arrangements earlier? Showing up and expecting to get on a bus at 6pm isn't my idea of being organised.

Agree yeah. Shabby behaviour. I'm no fan of MCD but thats taking it a bit far.

I strolled into the premiere of the new Batman movie 20 minutes after it started and couldn't get a ticket! Bastards in Dundrum. Their fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

MCD didn't organise with the private bus company to have enough buses and when me and my friend went to try get on one we were told they were all sold out

If you ordered in advance then they might have had some idea about how many buses to put on.

Advertisement