Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kasabian/Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds - Marley Park - 23 August 2012

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭BornToRun88

Clanket wrote: »
    In all fairness, did you not think to sort out your travel arrangements earlier? Showing up and expecting to get on a bus at 6pm isn't my idea of being organised.

Regardless they should have had more. 30,000 people went to the gig and I wasn't the only one that got stranded, loads of fans couldn't get a private bus or the 16 bus around 6ish and Noel Gallagher was due to start at half 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

Regardless they should have had more. 30,000 people went to the gig and I wasn't the only one that got stranded, loads of fans couldn't get a private bus or the 16 bus around 6ish and Noel Gallagher was due to start at half 7.

You arrived to get a bus you hadn't reserved 90 minutes before the gig. You knew the numbers that were travelling to the gig yourself, surely you should have given yourself a bit of time to actually get to the venue and allow for even the extra traffic.

Be fair, strolling up there 90 minutes before Noel Gallagher kicks off and expecting to have a seat kept for you is woeful organisation on your part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭bren2001

You arrived to get a bus you hadn't reserved 90 minutes before the gig. You knew the numbers that were travelling to the gig yourself, surely you should have given yourself a bit of time to actually get to the venue and allow for even the extra traffic.

Be fair, strolling up there 90 minutes before Noel Gallagher kicks off and expecting to have a seat kept for you is woeful organisation on your part.

Its not really. Usually for Marlay Park gigs Dublin Bus run a brilliant shuttle bus that leaves every few minutes. Anybody who has been to Marlay before would know that and assume it was running again, I know I would of.

bren2001 wrote: »
    Its not really. Usually for Marlay Park gigs Dublin Bus run a brilliant shuttle bus that leaves every few minutes. Anybody who has been to Marlay before would know that and assume it was running again, I know I would of.

It's hardly MCD's fault if it doesn't run though. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

It's hardly MCD's fault if it doesn't run though. Assumption is the mother of all **** ups.

well it is their fault. I am assuming they usually come to an agreement with Dublin Bus on the matter. Clearly the transport links were not good enough and that is their responsibility.

• Advertisement

well it is their fault. I am assuming they usually come to an agreement with Dublin Bus on the matter. Clearly the transport links were not good enough and that is their responsibility.

There's that word again.

Inter County games, soccer matches, rugby matches etc go on week in week out without the GAA, FAI or RFU putting on buses for people. They expect them to be able to find their own way to these things and in general people do. There are plenty things you could hit MCD with, and they're getting it from all angles at the moment, but this notion that you rock up somewhere expecting a lift to the venue to be put on for you as well without ever pre-ordering one is ridiculous.

There's that word again.

Well imagine that....making an assumption about something....I'm some sort of rebel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

it really isn't.
    they'll tell Dublin Bus that there'll be large numbers going to Marlay Park, it's really up to Dublin Bus to organise their fleet at their own discretion to take advantage of that to make money. at peak time on a Thursday evening, they quite possibly didn't have enough drivers/buses to put on for every single person to get their comfortably at whatever time they choose to bother wandering down at.
    MCD will I'm sure have made all the neccessary transport arrangements required by the licence.
    at the end of the day, the transport situation was absolutely fine for the vast majority of people.
    you were disorganised and didn't allow for delays and waits, which is pretty stupid, and not remotely the fault of MCD.

to use one of the examples above, if I turn up 3mins before a train leaves for Dublin and it's full, it would be pretty stupid to start blaming the GAA because i have to wait for the next one and miss the start of a match...

Well imagine that....making an assumption about something....I'm some sort of rebel.

Maybe MCD assumed that people making their way to the gig wouldn't be completely helpless

There's that word again.

Inter County games, soccer matches, rugby matches etc go on week in week out without the GAA, FAI or RFU putting on buses for people. They expect them to be able to find their own way to these things and in general people do. There are plenty things you could hit MCD with, and they're getting it from all angles at the moment, but this notion that you rock up somewhere expecting a lift to the venue to be put on for you as well without ever pre-ordering one is ridiculous.

Comparing the gigs in Marlay Park to established venues is completely different. Croke Park and the Aviva have transport systems that have been defined for many years. They have been adjusted to suit the matches when they are o. This happens several times a year as opposed to one weekend. The transport links should be compared to that of Oxegen, EP and any other one off events.
    it really isn't.
    they'll tell Dublin Bus that there'll be large numbers going to Marlay Park, it's really up to Dublin Bus to organise their fleet at their own discretion to take advantage of that to make money. at peak time on a Thursday evening, they quite possibly didn't have enough drivers/buses to put on for every single person to get their comfortably at whatever time they choose to bother wandering down at.
    MCD will I'm sure have made all the neccessary transport arrangements required by the licence.
    at the end of the day, the transport situation was absolutely fine for the vast majority of people.
    you were disorganised and didn't allow for delays and waits, which is pretty stupid, and not remotely the fault of MCD.

to use one of the examples above, if I turn up 3mins before a train leaves for Dublin and it's full, it would be pretty stupid to start blaming the GAA because i have to wait for the next one and miss the start of a match...

It may not be MCD's responsibility at all. I worked in CIE for a period of time and know that they have plenty of buses to accomodate these events (unless they scrapped them all since last year). They have a very large "scrap pile" of old buses used for this.

I wouldnt call people who turned up expecting a bus disorganised. They should have checked wether their was buses in advance but this is the first time that Dublin Bus have not run a shuttle (to my knowledge). I know I wouldnt of checked in advance.

If MCD knew that Dublin Bus were not putting on a shuttle, they should of arranged something with somebody else. Certainly next year, if gigs happen in Marlay park people would be stupid to assume that there would be sufficient transport links.

• Advertisement

I wouldnt call people who turned up expecting a bus disorganised. They should have checked wether their was buses in advance but this is the first time that Dublin Bus have not run a shuttle (to my knowledge). I know I wouldnt of checked in advance.

There it is in a nutshell. They should have checked but they didn't. That is the epitome of disorganisation.

There it is in a nutshell. They should have checked but they didn't. That is the epitome of disorganisation.

Do I check if the Darts are delayed/running before I go to the Aviva? No. Do I check if my local bus is running when I go to Croke Park? No. Do I check if Dublin Bus are running a bus to oxegen before I go? No. I leave the house assuming they are running the same way I would of assumed that Dublin Bus were running their usual shuttle bus to Marlay Park. They have run that bus for the past several years. I've been a fair few times at this stage and use my prior experience and knowledge to get me to the event. I wouldnt of seen the need to check. I would not call is disorganisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Darts and buses granted, you wouldn't check to see if they're running because that's what they're there for - to always run.

However, a one off event (Marley gigs, Oxegen etc), if you don't check to see if a bus is running then it's your own fault.

Do I check if the Darts are delayed/running before I go to the Aviva? No. Do I check if my local bus is running when I go to Croke Park? No. Do I check if Dublin Bus are running a bus to oxegen before I go? No. I leave the house assuming they are running the same way I would of assumed that Dublin Bus were running their usual shuttle bus to Marlay Park. They have run that bus for the past several years. I've been a fair few times at this stage and use my prior experience and knowledge to get me to the event. I wouldnt of seen the need to check. I would not call is disorganisation.

So it's Dublin Bus you should be taking it out on, not MCD. Why did they stop the service all of a sudden when there was money to be made off the back of the gig?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

I didn't have to get a bus but reading back it seems that Dublin Bus did indeed run a shuttle bus service. The original complainer just says they didn't put on enough then blamed MCD.

As someone already said, Dublin Bus probably based the number of buses they put on based on advance ticket sales. They can't be blamed if no-one bothered to pre-book.

Advertisement