Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Digweed's 16th European Championship

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Ildere

He is some competitor.

I bet he will regret not having one serious go at one of the Olympic shooting disciplines.

Richard Faulds made the switch with great success and you would imagine George would have been a serious contender at Skeet.

His records at FITASC are unmatched though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭kemen

i doubt he does. i've heard him shooting OT, gun down without a problem.. he just loves sporting

suppose he doesnt regret it at the moment anyway

P Harrington on record as saying that an Olympic gold medal would be bigger than any major championship in Golf. Nadal said the same about Tennis.

Is it that shooters have too many 'disciplines' with world and european titles available OR is Olympic competition the very top of the tree.

I think Olympic medal winners have a bigger achievement than any other.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Ildere wrote: »
    Is it that shooters have too many 'disciplines' with world and european titles available OR is Olympic competition the very top of the tree.

I think Olympic medal winners have a bigger achievement than any other.

That's impossible to say with any sort of reliability. It's incredibly hard to even qualify for the Olympics but that's as much a function of the small number of events and competitors than it is of the disciplines themselves.

Saying that Olympic shooting medal winners have a bigger achievement than any other is like saying that the team that wins the Olympic soccer gold has a bigger achievement than the team that wins the Rugby World Cup. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but there's no objective way of determining it and I don't think it would be fair on competitors in either sport to do so.

IRLConor wrote: »
    That's impossible to say with any sort of reliability. It's incredibly hard to even qualify for the Olympics but that's as much a function of the small number of events and competitors than it is of the disciplines themselves.

Saying that Olympic shooting medal winners have a bigger achievement than any other is like saying that the team that wins the Olympic soccer gold has a bigger achievement than the team that wins the Rugby World Cup. Maybe they do, maybe they don't, but there's no objective way of determining it and I don't think it would be fair on competitors in either sport to do so.

Your analogy is flawed and is constructed to advance your position.

I depart the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Your analogy is flawed and is constructed to advance your position.

I depart the discussion.

What's his position? Conor shoots an Olympic rifle discipline. And he's right, too. For those disciplines which feature in the Olympics, it could be said to be a pinnacle (Though a world championship, with far more competitors, could fairly be said to be a more challenging arena, in my opinion) for its prestige and special identity, but obviously if one doesn't shoot an Olympic discipline, then it can't fairly be said that an Olympic medal is worth more than the pinnacle of say IPSC competition or FITASC. For a start, it's thoroughly debatable whether the Olympic games are the most challenging arena even for Olympic disciplines.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Your analogy is flawed

I'm open to reasonable corrections. :)
    and is constructed to advance your position.

It would be a bit useless if it wasn't, no?

Advertisement