Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

airflow meter for hrv balancing

• 26-06-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi All
    Can someone tell me where I will get an airflow meter to balance a hrv system
    please? I'm using 5 inch diameter discs.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭nailer8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

I think you will need a hot wire anemometer.

I have just purchased this one myself.

The probe can be inserted into the duct.

It's also much more sensitive than the type that nailer8 linked too and can be used for leak detection when air tightness testing as well.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Espoo

Thanks all
    Do-more did you balance a hrv system with your device?

Espoo

Espoo wrote: »
    Thanks all
    Do-more did you balance a hrv system with your device?

Espoo

I've only ordered it this week, it hasn't arrived yet and I won't be ready to commission my HRV for another 4-5 months so I'm afraid I can't give you any feedback.

I intend to use it to help with my air tightness first.

invest4deepvalue.com

Interesting. Good idea. Yes I could do with checking my air tightness first too. Might get back to you soon to see what you think of the device.

Cheers
    Espoo

• Advertisement

I will give you what feedback I can when I get it, it's currently sitting in Shanghai airport and it's expected to be delivered to me at the end of next week.

I have read a blog that it can detect even tiny air leaks. Once I have finished my air tightness taping I intend to de-pressurise the house with a 12v car radiator fan so that I can detect any leaks with this and a smoke pen prior to doing the blower door test.

invest4deepvalue.com

Great thanks
    Best of luck with it.

The anemometer arrived yesterday, here's a photo with a small Nokia phone beside it for scale.

temporary-20.jpg

It's quite small but the probe tip is wider than many others I have seen (thanks to a protective cover around the probe which can be closed to protect the probe when not in use)

temporary-21.jpg

Fine for commercial ducts where you have little hatches to insert the probe through, but I'm not sure how that is going to work when taking measurements at the cowls in a domestic HRV system.

BTW it was stopped by (Swedish) customs for inspection but they seem to have accepted the enclosed invoice which declared it as a commercial sample with a value of US$28 as they didn't request any documentation from me and no charge was made, Irish customs would probably request a payment receipt, they seem to be applying charges to everything these days.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Yeah, when I saw your photos was wondering how you're supposed to use that with a domestic HRV but as I'm no expert I didn't comment.

The guy that commissioned mine had one of the fan type instruments connected to a plastic cone which covered the entire ceiling cowl.

sas wrote: »
    a plastic cone which covered the entire ceiling cowl.

That's an idea, thanks.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Condenser

You should really have got a vane anaemometer like this http://www.testo.co.uk/online/img/products/normal/regular/highres/0560_4170_03.jpg

Are you sure yours is genuine. What was it doing in Shanghai? Testo are a German company with their UK arm serving Ireland

Condenser wrote: »
    You should really have got a vane anaemometer like this http://www.testo.co.uk/online/img/products/normal/regular/highres/0560_4170_03.jpg

Are you sure yours is genuine. What was it doing in Shanghai? Testo are a German company with their UK arm serving Ireland

There is German warranty documentation with it, but it's possible it's fake.

From a little research I just need a lenght of pipe of know diameter to place over the cowl as in the photo above and place the probe into the middle of the pipe.

invest4deepvalue.com

Do-more wrote: »
    There is German warranty documentation with it, but it's possible it's fake.

From a little research I just need a lenght of pipe of know diameter to place over the cowl as in the photo above and place the probe into the middle of the pipe.

I buy alot of stuff off testo. If you go to the Testodirect.co.uk website you'll see the 405-v1 that you just bought. They're 107 ££'s plus vat and from experience they don't drop from that price unless you're buying thousands of euros worth.

Try the pipe though its worth a shot.

Just reading the comments there. Yes the one with the funnel would seem to be the real deal. Just looking at prices, Should one expect to pay in the region of €400-€600 for one of these? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    As mentioned its worth a shot at trying the pipe with that one though. Chat later.

Condenser wrote: »
    Try the pipe though its worth a shot.

I can't see why it won't work, all you are doing is extending the duct (I'll use about 1.5m so I should get a reasonably stable flow after the cowl) and taking the reading in the extended duct.

Testo do in fact sell a cone adapter for the hot wire anemometer which is 190mm diameter and designed for low flows, I will use a pipe diameter less than that so should be fine.

invest4deepvalue.com

Espoo wrote: »
    Just reading the comments there. Yes the one with the funnel would seem to be the real deal. Just looking at prices, Should one expect to pay in the region of €400-€600 for one of these? Correct me if I'm wrong.
    As mentioned its worth a shot at trying the pipe with that one though. Chat later.

Yes I use one in commisioning. The funnels were actually more expensive than the anemometer itself. You could always buy just the vane anemometer and use a pipe to channel the flow as Do-more is doing.

Advertisement