Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rights to British citizenship?

• 26-06-2012 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

We all know that certain allowances have been made by the Southern Irish government to entitle Northern Irish UK citizens who are nationalists to an Irish passpord should they wish to identify themselves as Irish. Now what i'm asking is thst should the reciprocal arrangement be made where the UK entitles those from Southern Ireland to become UK citizens if they wish to identify themselves as British.
    I would say it's only fair that it should work both ways.

I know it's already easier to become a British citizen if you're genuinely Irish to begine with, but is there an arguement to be made for this to be changes to an automatic entitlement on the basis that pre 1922, everyone was automatically a UK citizen.

Would the Irish Government have any beef with this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

While I'm not too sure about where this might end up, Irish passports for those born in NI are not the sole preserve of nationalist-minded people.

It may surprise some but quite a few unionists in NI possess Irish - along with UK - passports.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Bonus_Pack wrote: »
    We all know that certain allowances have been made by the Southern Irish government to entitle Northern Irish UK citizens who are nationalists to an Irish passpord should they wish to identify themselves as Irish. Now what i'm asking is thst should the reciprocal arrangement be made where the UK entitles those from Southern Ireland to become UK citizens if they wish to identify themselves as British.
    I would say it's only fair that it should work both ways.

I know it's already easier to become a British citizen if you're genuinely Irish to begine with, but is there an arguement to be made for this to be changes to an automatic entitlement on the basis that pre 1922, everyone was automatically a UK citizen.

Would the Irish Government have any beef with this?

The Irish Government has no issue with Irish citizens becoming british.
    There is a Wiki page about this very topic.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_and_the_Republic_of_Ireland
    Access to British citizenship for Irish citizens
    As a result of the above, there is generally no special access to British citizenship for Irish citizens. The facility for those born before 1949 to claim British subject status does not confer British citizenship, although it gives an entitlement to registration as such after 5 years in the UK.

Irish citizens seeking to become British citizens are usually required to live in the UK and become naturalised after meeting the normal residence and other requirements, unless they can claim British citizenship by descent from a UK born or naturalised parent. An Irish citizen who naturalises as a British citizen does not automatically lose their Irish citizenship.

Naturalisation as a British citizen is a discretionary power of the Secretary of State for the Home Department but will generally not be refused if the requirements are met.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Bonus_Pack

Well thats fine but there is some arguement imo for genuinely irish people to be automatically entitled to be a British citizen given that it is still debateable as to whether Ireland ought to be independent. Shure there are a lot of people getting more interested in rejoining the commonwealth for a start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Sorry, genuinely Irish? As opposed to what, fraudulently Irish?

No, it isn't easier - it depends on when your parents were born (before or after the declaration of a republic). People from the North now have the option of choosing whether they want a UK or Irish passport (or both). There's no reason why Irish from the Republic should have a similar choice; the fact that the country was part of the UK is not a good reason. We left almost a century ago - it's like arguing that Alaskans should have the right to a Russian passport.

Anyhow, Irish citizens have enjoyed many rights with regard to travelling to, and living and working in the UK since independence. Holding a British passport confers few other rights, particularly now we are all EU citizens.

I'm entitled to a full British passport, but I've never taken it up, because there just isn't any significant advantage - I can still live and work there (and AFAIK even vote in elections) on the basis of my Irish citizenship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Well thats fine but there is some arguement imo for genuinely irish people to be automatically entitled to be a British citizen given that it is still debateable as to whether Ireland ought to be independent. Shure there are a lot of people getting more interested in rejoining the commonwealth for a start.

Im sorry Irish independance is certainly not debateable!
    The Irish constitution was Enacted by the People on the 1st July, 1937, and has been In operation from 29th December, 1937.
    http://www.constitution.ie/constitution-of-ireland/default.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

I have met quite a few residents of the republic of Ireland who regard themselves as British and would like the right to have a British passport so yer it's only fair that they should have the right in the same way residents of northern Ireland have the right to Irish passports

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RonnieLimerick

" irish people to be automatically entitled to be a British citizen given that it is still debateable as to whether Ireland ought to be independent. Shure there are a lot of people getting more interested in rejoining the commonwealth for a start. "

Keep Dreaming !! there are many in this country who would resort to violence to keep us out of the commonwealth . i also like the way you spelled Irish with a small i and british with a capital B . The issue of Ireland's involvement with the UK is finished over kaput gefallen !

The commonwealth , now there's some real sh******s in that thing i can tell you , why would anybody want a club that included the windsors and mugabe's ! and just looking at the member states , why is Ireland taking in so many asylum seekers from the commonwealth surely that should be the uk's job .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

.... the Southern Irish government to entitle Northern .........Southern Ireland to become.....QUOTE]

Where is this place you call "Southern Ireland"? :rolleyes: I know of no such country.

Best you troll over to the Scottish independence thread where an edited version of your OP might have far more relevance in the not so distant future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Noone has a problem with someone becoming a British citizen if they want to but whats all this about it being "still debateable as to whether Ireland ought to be independent".
    I think Lizzie Windsors visit north of the border might have gone to your head a bit.
    And secondly very few people would want to go back to the commonwealth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

junder wrote: »
    I have met quite a few residents of the republic of Ireland who regard themselves as British and would like the right to have a British passport so yer it's only fair that they should have the right in the same way residents of northern Ireland have the right to Irish passports

Would that be at an Orange parade by any chance? That wouldn't really an accurate representation of general opinion now would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I believe my father is entitled to a British Passport as both his parents were born pre 1922.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

junder wrote: »

:rolleyes:
    I have met quite a few residents of the republic of Ireland Britain who regard themselves as British Muslim and would like the right to have a British passport Sharia Law implemented so yer it's only fair that they should have the right in the same way residents of northern Ireland have the right to Irish passports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16522447

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭paul71

europa11 wrote: »
    .... the Southern Irish government to entitle Northern .........Southern Ireland to become.....QUOTE]

Where is this place you call "Southern Ireland"? :rolleyes: I know of no such country.

Best you troll over to the Scottish independence thread where an edited version of your OP might have far more relevance in the not so distant future.

Well said sir.

Southern Ireland to my mind is Munster, which to my knowledge does not have an aspiration to a Government of its own. The official name of this country is "Ireland" not Southern Ireland, The Republic of Ireland or any other troll name people may invent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

OP, it is hard to see this thread as anything other than a wind-up exercise. Thread closed.

As a note to everyone else: please do not accuse posters of being trolls, as this is against the charter. If you think someone is trolling, rather than getting yourself carded report it and let the mods take care of it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement