Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

alert@aib.ie scam emails

Options
  • 26-06-2012 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

This is the second time ive got an email from alert@aib.ie I do not have an account with AIB ive contacted the bank and they have not bothered with me,im presuming they are scam emails from somewhere.
    at least from a security aspect of their customers i would imagine they would have some intrest.

heres the Email did anyone else come across this??

Dear Customer,

Your AIB Code Card is about to expire.

You are kindly advised to follow the instructions below.

The update form is attached to this email. Please download the attachment, open it, and follow the instructions on your screen.

The data submitted will be transmitted over an SSL encrypted connection (128 bit Secure Socket Layer).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

sligono1 wrote: »
    This is the second time ive got an email from alert@aib.ie I do not have an account with AIB ive contacted the bank and they have not bothered with me,im presuming they are scam emails from somewhere.
    at least from a security aspect of their customers i would imagine they would have some intrest.

heres the Email did anyone else come across this??

Dear Customer,

Your AIB Code Card is about to expire.

You are kindly advised to follow the instructions below.

The update form is attached to this email. Please download the attachment, open it, and follow the instructions on your screen.

The data submitted will be transmitted over an SSL encrypted connection (128 bit Secure Socket Layer).

What do you mean they have not bothered with you?

I am with AIB and got this email twice. I reported it, like they recommend, both times. Now I see a notice on the AIB login page warning all their customers of scams

So, in what way did they not bother with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

ive contacted them a number of times and firstly i got told i must be on a mailing list nothing about fraudulent emails ,then i contacted the security dept and they didnt bother with the issue.

now the local branch tell me its a scam,

superscouse please dont make me the bad guy here,but a bit of clarity on the issue thats all im after

Im not trying to make you out to be a bad guy.

I just couldn't understand how they didnt bother with you. Im sure they get loads of reports about scammers. Considering anyone in the world can send dodgy emails claiming to be anyone they like, all they can do is notify their customers when they log in and try to have dodgy webpages taken down.

I am sure they appreciate you notifying them but what exactly do you expect them to do? Maybe they have an email list for big business customers, but I doubt they have one for every customer they have. Thats all anyone can do, notify them, and let them take it from there.

I get regular emails about halifax but dont get upset when they dont take any visible action.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

well arent you great where did i say i was upset,i was stating what happened that's all in you come if you bothered to read my OP which you clearly have not you would at least see i am not a AIB customer and all i was,was a littled that my details had some how landed with the AIB now all i was after was a little clarity on the matter nothing else,

some times this place sickens me when you have people like yourself putting their ore in with nothing constructive to add to anything just to criticise the OP:mad::mad::mad:

I only asked you in what way they never bothered with you.

What do you want them to do? Scammers send out millions of emails everyday. Its called Phishing, trying to hook people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, I think you're being a little unrealistic. There isn't an awful lot much more they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

sligono1 wrote: »
    i am not a AIB customer and all i was,was a littled that my details had some how landed with the AIB now all i was after was a little clarity on the matter nothing else,

Your e-mail details did not 'land' with AIB, it has been picked up by a scammer. The fact that you do not have an AIB a/c should tell you that this is someone trying it on in an attempt to defraud you if you did have an AIB a/c.

Millions of these e-mails are sent out every day, they ask people with eircom.net e-mail addresses to go to a fake website to change their password, they try to get Paypal users to do likewise and I often get e-mails telling me that my NatWest/Barclays/whatever account details have been compromised and would I please go to this (fake) website to change my PIN number.

When you get one of these e-mails, there is only one thing to do - delete it. Do not reply to it and do not bother reporting it to the institution which claimed to send it for the simple reason that there is nothing they can do about it. If you do a traceback, the trail will lead to an internet cafe in a third world country and that's where the trail will end so there's SFA anyone can do about it, that's the reality of it I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭rememberthis

I've had those emails in the last few days, one after another. I emailed the bank and they were very kind in responding to me within an hour to apologise and that they are investigating these issues. That's all I can ask for really!

They cannot really stop the emails. They can have the website it directs to shut down, but they just open another.

Anyone can send the emails so they are unstoppable really. Just report it to the bank at spoof@aib.ie or maybe its alert@aib.ie and make them aware of it.

Chances are, they know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭a5y

Just got one of them myself today.

213605.png

I'm no stranger to the concept of phishing or online scams, but there's a couple of disturbing things about this one.

Firstly, there's not one spelling, punctuation or grammar mistake in the thing (the caps on the Code Card thing maybe, but considering its not a really product its incidental).

Second, the tone of it is not that different from the kind of impersonal bank-speak-jargon I read on my statements.

Lastly, the email is spoofed to be sent from alert@aib.ie; when I was in my local branch today I reported this to the customer service branch.

alert@aib.ie is the email address that phishing emails are supposed to be sent to. So they've picked who they're impersonating especially carefully; since its undermining attempts to investigate the scam too.

Because of that it isn't getting flagged in gmail with the "suspicious email" banner that other fake bank emails have.

Also, that tone of "there's not a lot they can do" that's in this thread is sickening. I'd hoped the learned helplessness mentality concerning the banks might have changed, but clearly its still thriving. :mad: There's a ton they could do.
    • They could have a dedicated site showing examples of the latest to expect in fake emails, rather than continually allowing the scammers to have the element of surprise to use against their customers.
    • They could remind customers every time they do banking with them they don't have their email addresses on files so ANY email address claiming to be from their bank IS FAKE. If that appeared every time you used an ATM it'd sink in fast.
    • They could publicise figures for the numbers of fake emails reported daily, and publish the IP addresses so there's a naming and shaming effect and political consequences. As things stand now, they're keeping their mouth shut to no ones benefit and their own customers are wondering if anything is even done or if the banks would rather just delete it all and pretend that its not a problem.

Considering the culture of sticking their heads in the sand as things go to hell Irish banking seems to have nurtured that's not an unreasonable suspicion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement