Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overhauling Website/New USP/Partnering up with others...?

Options
  • 26-06-2012 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

This may be the wrong forum (possibly should be the business forum), but seeing as it''' be an internet marketing focused post, maybe best here.

I have mentioned on other threads that I am in the process of overhauling my website (www.creedclicks.com). I have shamefully neglected it and to date, it has been more of an experiment than a full on business, but I am exploring the possibility of getting more serious with it.

I have been lucky enough not to have to source work via my site,but do want to try and use it to my advantage in the future.

As it stands, I think the selling point (if any!) of my site is too niche, and it's just not going to work I think. Nobody wants to get just one strand of online when they could get multiple services somewhere else.

My original idea was using the multilingual angle to source small projects and to go after businesses which would use multilingual campaigns. However at the time, my expertise was only in PPC. I am slowly slowly going down the road of SEO, and I think this is where it is at.

Ideally a good selling point would be: SEO, PPC, web design, (can do this in different languages). Or partnering with someone who builds ecommerce sites or can do email marketing...

I can't compete with agencies who have been around longer and have a good track record so I need to look for an angle. However, I know, from having worked in an agency that I would be well able to take care of certain aspects of the online marketing world.

So, apart from re-jigging the site, I think the message has to change.

One idea was to do some networking to see if I could buddy up with, for example, a web designer, or a graphic designer, or an SEO head, social marketing etc, so multiple services could be advertised (maybe even a new domain name?)

I am not 100% sure of the best places to meet these people apart from networking events and the likes, but I imagine a lot would pass through this forum too.

As I mentioned I have been doing work over the last year or so through contacts I would have had from working in an agency but there comes a time when I need to "get the finger out"....

Has anyone any thoughts or advice for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

Or, that translations aren't an issue but that people want a company that can improve their business and focus on conversion optimisation? Maybe the track record and experience is exactly what they want because the cost of paying someone to learn on the job is too risky, expensive and possibly life threatening.

I took a look at your site and really?
    I should really be posting more often here! I have dipped my toes into the murky world of SEO recently, and am finding my way around it slowly but surely. All I know is people are telling me to stay away from paid link building for obvious reason, and reminding me that content is king!

Things seem to be changing so much online, it’s like everything I was aware of 2 years ago is now obsolete. I mean, a few years back, who would have been diving into Facebook with the intention of using it for SEO? Or youtube? Or Twitter?

Look at Google+. It’s been pushed quite a lot lately, so it’s going to be great to experiment with it this year to see what happens! Don’t even start with mobile device users.

Should you be posting about SEO at all? I'm not trying to be rude - I'm actually asking - are you doing yourself any favours? What is a user supposed to expect to read.

A) Avoid! AVOID! MOVE NOW!
    B) I don't know what I'm doing, but I'd like your money and maybe I could figure it out?
    C) What's with all this web stuff anyway? Twitter? that siht's crazy dude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, my intention is to eventually be advertising SEO. I don't have it all on my site now. Anything SEO wise I am doing is not through my own site, and is well within my depth.

I should say it will be my intention to do this. I don't get what you are trying to say. I could do what most people do, advertise SEO, and just pass it on to someone else or do the bits I can, and outsource the rest.

There are some well known Irish agencies who advertise SEO services, and I know for a fact they aren't doing it in house...

It's all about perception. I could also charge €100/hour, as some people do,and for someone who doesn't know the first thing about online marketing, they might not have a problem with it. I know of people in agencies who are 80% sh*te talkers and they charge over €100 "for an hour of their time".

I could advertise Outer Mongolian translations and space rocket design, and for all a client could know I could do it......

The general trend in online marketing is I have found when you ask a question, you never get a straight answer....

If I don't post about SEO, I don't learn, simple as.

Advertisement