Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tax on Supervising Exams

• 26-06-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Please forgive me but when it comes to tax I seem to have a learning difficulty because I am always beyond confused about my tax. :confused:

I supervised the Junior Cert exams this year. I scribed 14 exams in one school for a student and supervised one Leaving Cert exam in another school. I got the payslip from the school I supervised the one exam in yesterday and out of €56.02 I cleared €25.83 :mad:

I rang Revenue today to have tax credits allocated to the SEC for correcting in July and asked them about this and they said I was emergency taxed and I can claim it back by sending in a letter and a statement from both schools with their employer number. Will a copy of my payslip do or do I actually have to ask the schools to send me out some other form of statement (a P45 perhaps?) and send this in instead. It seems like such a load of hassle but given that I'm going to get less than half of what I earned I'll crawl over hot coal to get something back! What does everyone else do when they get paid for supervising exams?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 574 ✭✭✭bdoo

khan86 wrote: »
    Please forgive me but when it comes to tax I seem to have a learning difficulty because I am always beyond confused about my tax. :confused:

I supervised the Junior Cert exams this year. I scribed 14 exams in one school for a student and supervised one Leaving Cert exam in another school. I got the payslip from the school I supervised the one exam in yesterday and out of €56.02 I cleared €25.83 :mad:

I rang Revenue today to have tax credits allocated to the SEC for correcting in July and asked them about this and they said I was emergency taxed and I can claim it back by sending in a letter and a statement from both schools with their employer number. Will a copy of my payslip do or do I actually have to ask the schools to send me out some other form of statement (a P45 perhaps?) and send this in instead. It seems like such a load of hassle but given that I'm going to get less than half of what I earned I'll crawl over hot coal to get something back! What does everyone else do when they get paid for supervising exams?

if you are in the higher tax bracket that is about all you will get. If the school paid it they should have looked after your tax as normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭lestat21

khan86 wrote: »

i called up the revenue and they sorted out my emergency tax over the phone!! Call 1890777425

I was supervising in a local centre... I hated and I dont think the money is worth it at all... drove over an hour to sit on my backside and do nothing for almost four hours.. I was dying but I did it cos its a lovely school and I'd like to teach there again. Sure anything that i can do to help out around the place might be a point in my favour one day...

Advertisement