Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The 'baby box' returns to Europe

• 26-06-2012 3:45pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-18585020
    Boxes where parents can leave an unwanted baby, common in medieval Europe, have been making a comeback over the last 10 years. Supporters say a heated box, monitored by nurses, is better for babies than abandonment on the street - but the UN says it violates the rights of the child.
    It is an unlikely scene for the most painful of dramas. On the edge of a road in a leafy suburb of Berlin, there is a sign pointing through the trees down a path. It says "Babywiege" - Baby Cradle.

Things are getting worse by the day! :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Sweet baby Jesus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Well, that's cheered me up no end. Cheers, OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I kinda think it's a good idea! If it stops one baby dying from being exposed to the elements after being abandoned then surely it's justified?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Well, that's cheered me up no end. Cheers, OP.

It's okay the box had Ouroboros on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Rasheed wrote: »
    I kinda think it's a good idea! If it stops one baby dying from being exposed to the elements after being abandoned then surely it's justified?
    And it's cheaper than condoms, right?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's very sad, etc. etc. but not all that uncommon. Happened in Dublin just a few months ago

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/German-mother-tells-Irish-state-they-can-keep-her-abandoned-baby-147893925.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

It violates the rights of the child? Because the bin beside the park bench is way more suitable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

One of the things I found worrying in that report (there's a lot to chose from) is the assumption that it's not sooo bad for a woman to give up her baby via these baby boxes without telling anyone (father included?) but what was worrying people was men dropping off babies without the consent of the mother.

I think both are pretty horrible. The bias in the report is that its ok for a woman to keep a father in the dark but not vice-versa. Double standards.

I can't bring myself to totally condemn these boxes though - in the absence of alternatives (in the eys of the mother/parents) - they are better than a cold church porch or hospital carpark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

i suppose its better than throwing them off a 15 storey building though... but yeah it is kinda horrible to just abandon a baby... there are many couples both straight and gay that would love to give a baby a proper safe home to grow up in.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭herosa

Ficheall wrote: »

..and has less side effects than the pill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I blame apple and samsung.
    In my day there was a warm phone box on every corner to sleep in/have sex/take drugs and of course, abandon babies.
    There's no fúcking app for that, is there:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Doesn't that sort of normalise the act of abandoning newborns? I'm fairly bloody liberal but this just seems like a bizarre idea.

Suicide booths probably aren't far away now =p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

you mean one like this?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1077967070058

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

i suppose its better than throwing them off a 15 storey building though... but yeah it is kinda horrible to just abandon a baby... there are many couples both straight and gay that would love to give a baby a proper safe home to grow up in.

Yeah well something like this means they get the chance. The babies who are left in those boxes will be fostered and then put up for adoption.

I think it's a good idea. Although the thought of a mother being this desperate that she has to do something like this is very sad, at least the baby is going to be cared for and looked after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

There was an article in Saturday's Indo about these - sorry I don't have a link to it.

A guy from a prolife group wants to bring these into Ireland, they think it will provide more babies for adoption as well as cut down on abortion rates although I don't see how they figure that one out

Not sure what I think of them tbh, agree it is a better option than leaving a child in the elements but I always worry about the state of mind of the women who abandon babies, I wonder do they really want to give up the child or just feel under terrible pressure - you would imagine if they are giving birth in secret there is some fierce pressure there.

I notice the pro life guy gave a huge positive spin to the idea without really looking at the bigger picture.

Yeah well something like this means they get the chance. The babies who are left in those boxes will be fostered and then put up for adoption.

I think it's a good idea. Although the thought of a mother being this desperate that she has to do something like this is very sad, at least the baby is going to be cared for and looked after.

It's not 1950 any more. Services and help are freely available to anyone that finds themselves in a position where they feel like they don't want to keep a baby. Providing an alternative to seeking actual help is a step backwards imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

I can see "ya bleed'n box baby!" becoming a popular put down in our nations school yards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

It's okay the box had Ouroboros on it

Now that is a nerdy reference :)

eviltwin wrote: »
    but I always worry about the state of mind of the women who abandon babies, I wonder do they really want to give up the child or just feel under terrible pressure - you would imagine if they are giving birth in secret there is some fierce pressure there.

In fairness, the bbc report painted a very good picture in that regard. The letter in the box for any mother is very warm and supportive - not at all threatening. As the report says, women often/sometimes return after some time to collect the baby and get help.

This sounds awful - a box to leave an unwanted baby - but when you compare it to some of the alternative options some parents might convince themselves they are faced with, it would seem a compassionate service - saving baby's (and mother's) life in some instances.

It's not 1950 any more. Services and help are freely available to anyone that finds themselves in a position where they feel like they don't want to keep a baby. Providing an alternative to seeking actual help is a step backwards imo.

There are some people who might be terrified of seeking help. I'm not saying this should be the first option for people by any means but there are many women that are so desperate that they've left their babies abandoned in bins, etc. At least this way there is another option for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

In fairness, the bbc report painted a very good picture in that regard. The letter in the box for any mother is very warm and supportive - not at all threatening. As the report says, women often/sometimes return after some time to collect the baby and get help.

I was thinking more along the lines of the pressure women and girls face from family and society in general that they would even contemplate having a baby in secret and then leaving it somewhere. To feel that is your only option is just something I can't get my head round at all. What could be so bad you couldn't tell your loved ones you were pregnant. Then there are the health issues for the mum, if she is not getting medical attention before and after the birth it could be very dangerous.

It's not 1950 any more. Services and help are freely available to anyone that finds themselves in a position where they feel...............

There are plenty of great services to help people battle depression and suicidal tendancies too.......unfortunetly this doesn't mean they're always availed of.

Unless you've been in that particular corner (feeling like you have no option but to give away your child anonomously) then I don't think we can fully understand the motives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Ficheall wrote: »

Sure what's that got to do with it? If a girl gets pregnant by mistake, there is no point in preaching about contraception.
    Do you really think a girl is going to start practicing unprotected sex because there is a place she can leave the baby if she gets pregnant? Come on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

They have been around here for a long time, wonder why this is hitting the new all of a sudden :confused:

eviltwin wrote: »
    There was an article in Saturday's Indo about these - sorry I don't have a link to it.

A guy from a prolife group wants to bring these into Ireland, they think it will provide more babies for adoption as well as cut down on abortion rates although I don't see how they figure that one out

Not sure what I think of them tbh, agree it is a better option than leaving a child in the elements but I always worry about the state of mind of the women who abandon babies, I wonder do they really want to give up the child or just feel under terrible pressure - you would imagine if they are giving birth in secret there is some fierce pressure there.

I notice the pro life guy gave a huge positive spin to the idea without really looking at the bigger picture.

what the fcuk, adoption isn't some basic necessity everyone is entitled to and consequently means that more babies should be churned out for them

did they really word it like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Fecking babies, ppl are either trying to steal them or throw them away.

This sounds awful - a box to leave an unwanted baby - but when you compare it to some of the alternative options some parents might convince themselves they are faced with, it would seem a compassionate service - saving baby's (and mother's) life in some instances.

I don't need to understand the motives, I just feel that dealing with the problem in such a disconnected and cold way is wrong.

In France, women have the right to attend hospitals and give birth completely anonymously. Surely something like that would be much better?

jester77 wrote: »
    They have been around here for a long time, wonder why this is hitting the new all of a sudden :confused:

I think it's been seen as a sign that thinga sre getting worse as their use is expanding to other countries that may have not had them for years (or centuries)!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Doesn't that sort of normalise the act of abandoning newborns? I'm fairly bloody liberal but this just seems like a bizarre idea.

i hope so, also maybe this would be less of a problem if abortions were more accessible and there wasnt such a big deal made about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I have mixed feelings on this- even with a change in moral attitudes and support systems in place, babies still get abandoned a couple of times a year- only last week I read about the body of a baby buy being found by a stream in the UK.

If this system can provide a bit of hope to a very desperate woman in a vulnerable situation, and keep a baby alive when they would otherwise be exposed to the elements, what's the problem? It's not like it's going to make a load of women more relaxed about an unwanted pregnancy- it's a facility for a truly desperate person in the hour of genuine need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Are the rules of the box the same as a pick a penny leave a penny dishes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Here we go again....babyloving Ireland where hardly anybody understands that not everyone wants children or can provide for them (and I will skip the contraception issue now, because we all know that there are unwanted pregnancies, no matter the reason).
    This "baby box" is an alternative for people who find themselves in uncontrollable conditions, rather than to simply drop the child off at a park, orphanage or in a bin. Bet if you watch a movie and see a desperate person dropping off their baby so it can have a better life than they can provide you weep and pity the poor parent, whilst you now condemn those who give their child up for adoption in the safest way for the baby, without having to fear judgement for their decision. It is really reactions like those in this forum that make people feel ashamed for giving up a child for adoption.

It is the safest option for the child which is cared for immediately, rather than suffering needlessly. What would you prefer? That it is left lying around in a bin bag until it suffocates? Hypocrites...

Here we go again....babyloving Ireland where hardly anybody understands that not everyone wants children or can provide for them (and I will skip the contraception issue now, because we all know that there are unwanted pregnancies, no matter the reason).
    This "baby box" is an alternative for people who find themselves in uncontrollable conditions, rather than to simply drop the child off at a park, orphanage or in a bin. Bet if you watch a movie and see a desperate person dropping off their baby so it can have a better life than they can provide you weep and pity the poor parent, whilst you now condemn those who give their child up for adoption in the safest way for the baby, without having to fear judgement for their decision. It is really reactions like those in this forum that make people feel ashamed for giving up a child for adoption.

It is the safest option for the child which is cared for immediately, rather than suffering needlessly. What would you prefer? That it is left lying around in a bin bag until it suffocates? Hypocrites...

Who are you talking to? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Who are you talking to? :confused:

Not you, but the self-righteous brigade ;)

Advertisement