Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Feb 2013!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

hi everyone, sorry I wasn't replying recently-just didn't seem to find the time to log on! Firstly congrats to Thumby on your baby boy, you must be delighted its all over now.

I know this might not sound great but I'm so happy to see that others are just as panicked as me. I'm on day 3 of maternity leave and was going a little stir crazy. I was ironing earlier and i suddenly realised that there will be a baby in the house soon and I'll be at home alone with it and totally responsible for its welfare! Like I've only 9 days to go but i still keep thinking its months away. I think cos I've had an easy pregnancy, reality hasn't hit at all for either of us. We don't even have a nursery decorated yet!! I have such a fear of getting post natal depression cos I'm not accepting it or something. Am i a bad mother before the baby has even arrived??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Oh I worry about everything - what if something is wrong with the baby, what if I don't know I am labour, what if I cannot dress it by myself etc etc!

Also don't worry about the babies room not being decorated...how will they know :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Tilly Tally

bp wrote: »
    Oh I worry about everything - what if something is wrong with the baby, what if I don't know I am labour, what if I cannot dress it by myself etc etc!

Also don't worry about the babies room not being decorated...how will they know :-)

Thanks bp,it really is very comforting to know others feel the same. i'm usually a very organised and calm person so all this upheaval is going to take alot of getting used to!!

Does anyone else find that people are obsessed with telling you about people delivering early with major problems,emergency issues with babies and other horror stories? the OH's sister rang me last weekend just to tell me about someone having a Down's syndrome baby that was never picked up on scans. Why would I need to hear that??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

My friend was back in for a regular check-up today. She is 37+5.

However she got a glucose tolerance test last week and one of her bloods was high so they said someone would be in touch. She heard nothing so mentioned it to the midwife today.

The midwife got in touch with the diabetes team and they came to see us while we were waiting for the regular check up appointment. She said that she doesn't have diabetes as only one of her bloods were high and two of them needs to be high but that they will keep an eye on her.

So she said to come back to her after we have seen the consultant and she would arrange for scan to be done to check the size of the baby (7lbs 8), then we had to go see the dietitian and then back to her.

Dietitian just changed a few small things in her diet and said that should be enough.

She has to go back every week now.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Expecting The Unexpected

7lbs 8? How much more do babies grow in the last few weeks? I am 36 weeks now. Im back with doc at 37 weeks. I wonder will i be goig back every week after like your friend Kitten K.

How is everyone? anyone anything moving?? I wud imagine a number of ye have finished work? Hope ur are relaxing!

Started bouncing on the ball again this evening. Decided I want this baby coming on time. SPD is back with a bang and I haven't slept in a few nights. Serious agony and pain in hips.

Husband booked and brought me away for a spa night yesterday. Was so relaxed I didn't know what time it was in the day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Bummppd

7lbs 8? How much more do babies grow in the last few weeks? I am 36 weeks now. Im back with doc at 37 weeks. I wonder will i be goig back every week after like your friend Kitten K.

How is everyone? anyone anything moving?? I wud imagine a number of ye have finished work? Hope ur are relaxing!

Started bouncing on the ball again this evening. Decided I want this baby coming on time. SPD is back with a bang and I haven't slept in a few nights. Serious agony and pain in hips.

Husband booked and brought me away for a spa night yesterday. Was so relaxed I didn't know what time it was in the day!

Hi, Spa night? Ya lucky fecker! Sorry to hear ya haven't been sleeping there's nothing worse. I'm nearly at the 38wk mark now and I just want it over with now and for my little man to get here. 7lb 8 is a big baby for 36wks I think, At 35wks mine only weighed nearly 5, although I am pretty small anyway. They say they put on between half a lb and a lb in the last few weeks. I hope your pain won't last, And you manage to get some sleep ya poor divil x

That's a lot of growth!! Eek! At 38 weeks are u uncomfortable or sleeping ok?

U Dont have long to go!! Although if one more person says that to me I'll kill them. Have u finished work? Are u bouncing or trying any of the wives tales??

I'm useless as spivey things so may start trying other things.

They said they put on half a pound a week and that the weight given can be out by about 10-15% as they can't get an exact weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

How is your friend Kitten K? I think everyone would be lucky to have a friend like you!

I am off work now thankfully and for the first time this morning I wished for a little more time before birth because I amn't sleeping well and wrecked...imagine how bad I will be when I cannot just lay in bed and try to sleep when a little person needs attention!

Was at the doc last week so baby is fully down and engaged but they say it can still take a few weeks after that so we will see. Just playing the waiting game to see if it will be a Jan or Feb baby at this stage!

Not sure what to do with myself tomorrow....my first proper day of maternity leave!

Does anyone else have to pee every half an hour, and then get to the loo and have the smallest pee ever?

bp wrote: »
    How is your friend Kitten K? I think everyone would be lucky to have a friend like you!

I am off work now thankfully and for the first time this morning I wished for a little more time before birth because I amn't sleeping well and wrecked...imagine how bad I will be when I cannot just lay in bed and try to sleep when a little person needs attention!

Was at the doc last week so baby is fully down and engaged but they say it can still take a few weeks after that so we will see. Just playing the waiting game to see if it will be a Jan or Feb baby at this stage!

Not sure what to do with myself tomorrow....my first proper day of maternity leave!

Does anyone else have to pee every half an hour, and then get to the loo and have the smallest pee ever?

Yes on the bathroom trips! So I have been thinking. I am not naive i know sleep will be minimal however sleep right now is minimal AND it's poor quality. I am thinking onCe the baby is born and I get a chance to sleep it will at the very least be quality sleep as I will konk! That can only be a positive thing????

My plan ( and u can all copy me) is to go to the library and rent out box sets. There are so many great ones at the moment and I would love a day or two of relaxation and box sets. With the bad weather it's perfect. I have two more weeks of work left and its beyond a joke at this stage. I have to write everything down or I will forget it.

Last night I was awake with sharp pains in what I can only describe as my cervix. Travelling down from the bottom of my stomach and then a sharp or stabbing pains. It was only for 15 mins or so but it's something. I have gotten stabbing type pains previously but this was more intense.

• Advertisement

BP - she is good. Getting pretty uncomfortable at this stage and not sleeping great. She got a real strong pain last night (she said her whole stomach just tightened) but nothing since. We were minding my nephew last night and were joking that it would be mad it the baby picked that night to come.

Expecting - the box sets sound like a good idea. You need some time to relax on your own before baby comes!

That's a lot of growth!! Eek! At 38 weeks are u uncomfortable or sleeping ok?

U Dont have long to go!! Although if one more person says that to me I'll kill them. Have u finished work? Are u bouncing or trying any of the wives tales??

I'm useless as spivey things so may start trying other things.

Sooo uncomfortable, Feel like a big bloated beached whale!!! Not really sleeping, awake every hour mostly, Suppose it's just practice might as well get used to it! Yeah everyone is saying the same to me, Feel like throttling them! Am bouncing, and trying to go for walks as much as I can but my back isn't really able for it at this stage. I'm so nervous about it all, The birth and everything after, But I think I just want it over with now! Hope your feeling ok! Finished work at 32wks, Worked in a busy Hotel and was on my feet all day and was working long hours so decided to leave early just to be on the safe side!

Working from home and currently drinking my raspberry leaf tea as I type. Sorry to hear you are so uncomfortable Bummppd. I would say any kind of walking would be good for you. Are you taking anything for your back pain?

I am completely shattered. I have no energy and didnt get out of bed till 10:30. Missed a meeting with my boss this morning turned out OK but i think the next two weeks of work are going to be very hard.

Is everyone all set to go? rooms painted and items bought etc etc? I am sorted except for a few items around the house.

No not taking anything, Have heard so many horror stories that I won't even take a panadol. So my trusty heatpack is all I have. Oh take the sleep when ya can that's what I say! Have most things myself, Just assembled my moses basket and stand last night, keep going in now and looking at it!! Hope work won't be too bad, Just remember to take it easy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Working from home today too. Its great to have that option. Finishing at the end of next week myself too. Had to go for a nap after lunch as felt wrecked. To be honest that's the first time I've felt like that in ages. Don't think this baby has any intention of coming out as I don't feel any different than I have done for the last few months - that is, pretty normal. Maybe it'll just change all of a sudden at 40 weeks (hopefully) :)

Cot and dresser arrived from M&Ps today and husband is painting the room this weekend. All starting to get very real! Am very excited at this stage!!

Working from home today too. Its great to have that option. Finishing at the end of next week myself too. Had to go for a nap after lunch as felt wrecked. To be honest that's the first time I've felt like that in ages. Don't think this baby has any intention of coming out as I don't feel any different than I have done for the last few months - that is, pretty normal. Maybe it'll just change all of a sudden at 40 weeks (hopefully) :)

Cot and dresser arrived from M&Ps today and husband is painting the room this weekend. All starting to get very real! Am very excited at this stage!!

Oh that's so exciting. We also went with M&P's. got the Hayworth in walnut. So nice. We painted the room a light grey as we don't know what we are having. We have walnut floors also. I wud imagine the tiredness is here to stay for us.

I am the same. I'm only 36 + 2 but looking for signs every day. Nothing tho and I don't know what I am looking for! ;)

I suffered badly with migraine before I was preg. It was so bad I was on epilepsy tabs ( which I had to wean off as soon as I found out I was preg) I haven't had one head ache let alone migraine since being preg!! But now I am petrified they will come back!! I wonder does anyone else have experience with this?

I wonder how Thumby and her little man are getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Morning all, I apologise in advance for jumping in, but I am hoping someone can help me , and maybe I will help them, I am doing a course in voluntary community mother to mother support and I need to see some mothers and babies, pre-delivery and post delivery. Just a call beforehand and afterwards if formula feeding or a visit afterwards if you are breastfeeding. I can offer some support in the form of an experienced mother and some breastfeeding support.
    I am near Naas/Newbridge in Kildare. please pm me if you have an questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

Hey girls. Just popping in to say a quick hello and see how everyone is doing.
    Lorcain was taken off the oxygen after 16 hours and was out of the incubator within 36 hours. He spent a total of 4 nights in the nicu and one down on the ward with me. We were both allowed home on Thursday evening.
    @ expecting my sod played up something fierce in the hospital. I finally managed to get some decent sleep though when I accidentally fell asleep on the birthing ball. I.d been bouncing away on it but got sick of doing that so I piled my pillows up at the side of the bed and leaned forward into them (plan was to watch some TV) but it was a lot more comfortable than I'd been in ages and just drifted right off. I was still in an upright position so that was helping with lorcains head but the pressure was taken off my lower back and hips. The midwives had to wake me a few hours later lol.

Delighted to hear that you are both home Thumby. How are the other kids with Lorcain?

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    Delighted to hear that you are both home Thumby. How are the other kids with Lorcain?

Thanks kitten.
    The lads are great with him, but my little girl was a bit wary of him at the start. Which is understandable, i think she was waiting on me to disappear on her again the poor little madam. For the first couple of days she would just poke her head in over the moses basket but when he cried she's run and hide and start crying herself, although she's grand with him now. She even tried to give him a bottle when i was breastfeeding him yesterday (i'm expressing as well for when his dad has him). His kids all took to him brillantly as well, the four year old started reading him stories the min we brought him into the house lol.

How's everyone else doing? Any sign of your friend going yet kitten?

Ah that's good Thumby. It's always easier when the kids get along!

No sign of her going. She is finishing up work tomorrow so hopefully we won't be waiting too long after that. Back in the hospital on Friday for a check up.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Ah that's good Thumby. It's always easier when the kids get along!

No sign of her going. She is finishing up work tomorrow so hopefully we won't be waiting too long after that. Back in the hospital on Friday for a check up.
    Tell her to give the raspberry leaf tea a try. Both my midwives and my consultant swear by it!

Where in Dublin can you get it Thumby?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Great to hear that you are home and all is well Thumby!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

I've been drinking the raspberry leaf tea. You can get it in health food stores. I got it in Holland & Barrett. They're having one of their 1 cent sales at the moment so you buy a box and get a second box for 1 cent

Thanks Househunter, should be in town over the weekend and will pick some up.

We went for a nice lunch today to celebrate her starting maternity leave.

Thanks annemarie. @ kitten ya can also get it in dunnes in the herbal tea section. I paid just over a euro for a box of 40 I think it was.

Does it have to be raspberry only? I have seen Twinngs that has raspberry and other stuff in it.

• Advertisement

Yeah. It's raspberry leaf tea. Not raspberry flavor tea. So be careful as there is a big difference. I have had my tea fill for today. It's not that bad a taste.

Kittenk you are a great friend! No one is bringing me out for lunch. I am in terrible form today. I miss my husband a lot and he was only in work!! At least it's not like the first 4 months of my preg where I was living in Switzerland on my own in a hotel mon to fri.

I can't believe Friday is the first of feb!!! Please god we will start getting some good news soon. For some reason everyone has been telling me horrible stories recently and now I don't care what I have to go through all I want is the safe arrival of my baby!!

Advertisement