Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Due Feb 2013!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭elly123

I am completely open to whatever needs to be done to get baby out safe and sound (although im not very comfortable with the idea of Forceps). I am actually more worried about breastfeeding than labour but maybe after my ante natal classes I'll feel more comfortable, again i know it doesn't work for everyone but i want to try it and i wont be too disheartened if it doesn't work.

Yeah im going to say it to the midwife in future that i want to see Crowley rather than waiting to see who calls me. Its defo important to feel more like a person, it defo does wonders, well it does for me anyway i always come out with a smile on my face for 3 reasons 1. I've seen babs on scan, 2. i know everything is good and 3 because Crowley makes you feel important, and you don't feel like your just another pregnant woman on the conveyor belt! the amount of ppl ya see coming out and ya know by the look on their face that they are not happy and can hear them give out before they even leave the clinic.

I cant speak more highly of Prof Crowley, i just love the lady! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Thumby

It's like a meat market in there sometimes with the amount of us in there. My first app with herself was for half nine and it was just shy of two before i seen her. But like ya said it's worth the wait she always scans me as well :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Expecting The Unexpected

Hi ladies. Had my appointment yesterday. Went fine except the doctor was concerned about how big the baby is. So she sent me for a big scan and they confirmed that at 33wk +1 I had a 5lb 9oz baby!!!! Sheasked me was I still hoping to have a vaginal delivery and I said I was. She said she would do a sweep at 39 weeks and we would go from there. I know it's a big baby but maybe it will slow down growing and I am so nervous of a cesarean so so far I am happy.

Just before I left work today I bumped Into the head of HR. she proceeded to tell me about her two friends who had still births this week and how she felt it was just one of those things and the women were both grand. Needless to say I spent the 45 mins I the car on my own half in tears. The fear!

Hi ladies. Had my appointment yesterday. Went fine except the doctor was concerned about how big the baby is. So she sent me for a big scan and they confirmed that at 33wk +1 I had a 5lb 9oz baby!!!! Sheasked me was I still hoping to have a vaginal delivery and I said I was. She said she would do a sweep at 39 weeks and we would go from there. I know it's a big baby but maybe it will slow down growing and I am so nervous of a cesarean so so far I am happy.

Just before I left work today I bumped Into the head of HR. she proceeded to tell me about her two friends who had still births this week and how she felt it was just one of those things and the women were both grand. Needless to say I spent the 45 mins I the car on my own half in tears. The fear!
    Oh at least a nine plunder you'll be grand though hun. As for your head of her I'm sorry to hear about her friends but she was bang out of order telling you that. She should have had more cop on than that ffs. Don't let it get to you though like you said everything wentgreat and babs is a nice big healthy weight. Just concentrate on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

@Expecting, It's so hard to know how accurate those measurements really are. I feel like I've gotten very big and still have 2 months to go. I'm not worried yet although I admit, I wish I was a tad smaller. I'm open to whatever delivery method they need to do to get this child safely into the world. We've waited a while for it so whatever needs to happen ill be ok with.

What I'm most nervous about (and yes, I know this absolutely is not a big deal BUT)..... I'm terrified of p**ing myself in the throws of labour!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

Hi all, I am not really sure how far along I am exactly because they kept bringing the date forward due to size (what is with the big babies!)....but lets go in or around 35 weeks.

I am getting nervous...but cannot wait to meet babs! Bags all packed and ready to go! :-)

Took today off work to rest....I am just tired all of the time so was asleep by half eight last night, which unfortunately meant I was awake at half six, but sure sleep is sleep!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Does everyone know an approximate weight and position of baby at this stage??:rolleyes:

All I know is that is has been head down for approximately 10 weeks.....it got comfy and is seemingly staying there until show time! :-)

weight, no they last time they took that was at 20 weeks - would love to know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 annegreen

annegreen wrote: »
    As an active mother I am always looking for things to do. As I am due in February I just joined a belly cast class in drogheda and booked a photography session to keep the memories. Is there any other things I can do for before the big day? This is my second pregnancy and I missed out on everything before.

I got my maternity photos done and belly cast in Drogheda on Monday. I wish I done this for my first. Anyway that's the last one so it was well worth it! I recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Does everyone know an approximate weight and position of baby at this stage??:rolleyes:

No idea of weight, they told me at last hospital appointment that it was right for dates. Head down for the last month or 2 though. Hopefully will stay that way :D

• Advertisement

Had serious pain all morning in my stomavh and back and belwo and got so nervous I went in to get checked. They are keeping me in over night for monitoring and giving me steroids for the babies lungs but all seems to have calmed down a lot and now i feel completely dramatic. and I feel like I am in a 3rd world. I am semi private and seemly on a semi private ward but there is no way in hell that's true with the type of people in this room. Seriously I am in hell.

All the the new mothers are spending the entire time on the phones txting and phoning. It's like a zoo in here. Everyone is shouting from one end of the ward to the other havin conversations. Mothers going out for 'a smoke' and then coming back in and picking up the brand new child up and then coughing disgustingly all over the baby. The entire ward is like a third world. I just need to leave so badly.

I know I am dramatic but it's horrific.

Had serious pain all morning in my stomavh and back and belwo and got so nervous I went in to get checked. They are keeping me in over night for monitoring and giving me steroids for the babies lungs but all seems to have calmed down a lot and now i feel completely dramatic. and I feel like I am in a 3rd world. I am semi private and seemly on a semi private ward but there is no way in hell that's true with the type of people in this room. Seriously I am in hell.

All the the new mothers are spending the entire time on the phones txting and phoning. It's like a zoo in here. Everyone is shouting from one end of the ward to the other havin conversations. Mothers going out for 'a smoke' and then coming back in and picking up the brand new child up and then coughing disgustingly all over the baby. The entire ward is like a third world. I just need to leave so badly.

I know I am dramatic but it's horrific.

Ah sounds horrible, what hospital are you in?

yellow hen wrote: »

Ah sounds horrible, what hospital are you in?

The Coombe. There are 5 of us on the ward. 3 have been talking across the ward Fing and blinding and cursing in front of their new babies for the past half hour describing their labours. 1 has been sneaking in visitors even tho the vomiting bug restrictions are in place. I have been here an hour and sha has had 4! She thinks its hilarious.

The Coombe. There are 5 of us on the ward. 3 have been talking across the ward Fing and blinding and cursing in front of their new babies for the past half hour describing their labours. 1 has been sneaking in visitors even tho the vomiting bug restrictions are in place. I have been here an hour and sha has had 4! She thinks its hilarious.

I was afraid you were going to say that :(. My sister has had three babies in there and has had lovely quiet 4-person wards. Luck of the draw I guess. Lets hope you dont get a ward like that when you are actually in for labour :eek:

Sounds similar to the ward i was in just before xmas for overnight observation and im public. I could here the full blown conversations going on from the next rooms up. I think i will be purchasing ear plugs and putting them in my bag as a just in case in future and my ear phones for phone.

elly123 wrote: »
    Sounds similar to the ward i was in just before xmas for overnight observation and im public. I could here the full blown conversations going on from the next rooms up. I think i will be purchasing ear plugs and putting them in my bag as a just in case in future and my ear phones for phone.

Being discharged after 12 hours is beginning to sound more attractive :o

Being discharged after 12 hours is beginning to sound more attractive :o

Will they allow that on your first YH?

elly123 wrote: »

Will they allow that on your first YH?

Yes, once you live in a certain catchment area. I don't think I'd like it though.... Would be too nervous on my first!

My husband just left and did a sneaky look at all the charts. They are all pink except mine. So I am on a public ward (pink public and white for private). Mid wife lied.

Pains are back but not severe. Just constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭annamarie2013

Thats a bit smart when you're paying well for the privilege?? A friend of mine had the same experience there....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There's probably no room on private/semi private. Paying doesn't guarantee you get a private/semi private room. If it's bothering you ask to be moved.

I understand your frustrations though.

Yes, once you live in a certain catchment area. I don't think I'd like it though.... Would be too nervous on my first!

Thats handy but as you said i think i would be too nervous on my first aswel, i think id like the 2-3 days help from the midwives as at the moment I feel completely clueless. Im well outside the catchment area anyway so it wouldn't be an option.

Ah hell expecting I'm so sorry to hear that you're having such an awful time in there. What ward are you on? I found a massive difference with my two stays in there. The first on was horrible but on my second they made sure I was never in a ward with newborns as they felt it wasn't very fair on me.
    I will admit to being one of those mothers who smokes but I had gotten down from 30 a day to 2/3 a day. Would have been completely off them by now except for my last stay in hospital the stress had me gone insane but hopefully I'll manage to stay off them now that I'm home again. I'm shocked year one was able to sneak so many people in. Security was very strict on my last stay, not so much on the one before though. Then again I was on two different wards. Hugs though and hopefully you get home soon. Don't panic about the pains though you're just shy of 34 weeks now so everything will be fine.have they said what they think the pains are?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Not long to go now girls, wonder who will be first (probably you Thumby!)

An update on my friend. We were in Holles St this morning (she is 35+6), the head is down but not engaged.

We have pretty much everything sorted for the baby. We just need to pack the hospital bag, we are going to pick up the last of the things needed on Saturday and pack it on Sunday.

Can't believe she only have 4 week left to her due date (9th Feb). Will be so strange, but exciting having a baby in our house.

kitten_k wrote: »
    Not long to go now girls, wonder who will be first (probably you Thumby!)

An update on my friend. We were in Holles St this morning (she is 35+6), the head is down but not engaged.

We have pretty much everything sorted for the baby. We just need to pack the hospital bag, we are going to pick up the last of the things needed on Saturday and pack it on Sunday.

Can't believe she only have 4 week left to her due date (9th Feb). Will be so strange, but exciting having a baby in our house.
    Hopefully anyway kitten. I'll know more tomorrow after my app with my head consultant. That's good that the head is down. Won't be ling for her now. Get your bags packed as soon as. Although I'm one to talk I've still only got my labour and emergency bag packed. Gonna give myself a couple of weeks to rest and get settled into the school routine again and then just go out and do one massive shop for the rest of my own bag ( although my parents went out and bought me a load if new pjs and big fluffy dressing gown for Xmas for my bag) and the rest of the stuff I need for babs. Car seat buggy baby bath etc. After that its just the small bits that I always forget about. Jays us I may make a list of what I have and what I need. Lol.

We should have it all packed by Sunday and then it is just a waiting game, she is back to her GP next Thursday and the hospital the following Thursday.

I need to make sure I keep all my own work up to date as I am her birthday partner so will need time off for that and then I am going to take a week off when they come home to help get the baby settled. (I have to prepare an instruction manual on how to work our system while I am off as nobody else knows how!!)

oh it is getting so exciting! I think it is just rude for people to be having full blown conversations in the middle of the night - there should be a phone call ban after 10pm unless absolutely necessary...babies and mammy's need their rest!

Anyway I hope everyone is doing well....it is getting so exciting now! I hope your app goes well today Thumby

I had my last antenatal yesterday and asked a bit more about the early discharge from the coombe. Although discharge has to be between 12 and 24 hours after birth, most people end up spending one night there. Once home then, you are guaranteed a visit from a midwife for 5 consecutive days. In a way, I thought you might get more value from your midwife if you didnt have to share her with other patients. What do you think? I am seriously considering this now (assuming I have a normal birth and all goes well!)

We have just finished packing my friends hospital bag and last night a friend came up and put the pram and baby chair together, starting to feel real that we will have a baby in the house soon.

My friend has to get a GTT test on Wednesday, what exactly happens on the day?

Also a bit of a strange question but do you need to be shaved down below going into have the baby?

• Advertisement

kitten_k wrote: »
    We have just finished packing my friends hospital bag and last night a friend came up and put the pram and baby chair together, starting to feel real that we will have a baby in the house soon.

My friend has to get a GTT test on Wednesday, what exactly happens on the day?

Also a bit of a strange question but do you need to be shaved down below going into have the baby?

GTT in the coombe required me to be there at 8am and they took a blood sample and then made me drink a bottle(ish) lucozade. You go away and report back exactly one hour later for another blood test. Then you go away and report back in another hour for your third blood test. It's actually ok, had heard horrible things about it beforehand. They ring you then that day if they find anything of concern.

Advertisement