Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putting weight on pup

• 26-06-2012 4:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I have a 7 month old gsd and can't put weight on him , its not that he is very thin its just he could do with an extra pound or 2.
    His food drive is high so thankfully no problems there , I'm still feeding him 3 times a day(royal canine) a full cup each time. I'm over feeding him. He is wormed recently.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

GSDs can be prone to joint problems - I'd leave him skinny while he's still growing to give his bones/joints the best chance at developing properly. Bone problems are hard to manage - I have first hand experience of it and it's not easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Are you sure you are over feeding him? Whats the recommended daily allowance? It could be that the R.C. isnt agreeing with him and you might have to change food.

You can add other things like, Pasta, mince, rice etc to try and bulk up the meal. At 7 months the pup is still growing so they can tend to be a bit lanky or thin until they stop growing.

That's actually a good point about the RC maybe not suiting him? It never suited my GR - he was on the maxi junior one. He bulked out and really increased his muscle mass in the space of a few weeks from switching to barf/raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I padded out my fellow by adding something different to the dry food each day at dinner. A tin of sardines, some chicken, raw egg, a little bit of liver. It's made all the difference, and it's made dinner so much more pleasant for him.

planetX wrote: »
    I padded out

:pac:

Mash is my guys fav treat - he'll leave a bone to get some :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement