Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speeding ticket - court apperance

Options
  • 26-06-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I got a speeding ticket in a post around 20th of June for speeding in early March. I was going 63km in 50km zone.
    The notice (from Garda) is dated mid of March but I have not received it till now?! This ticket came over the time limit to pay of 56 days. I am not questioning that I was speeding but the time that the ticket arrived which not allowed me to pay initial fee! There is no date stamp on the envelope so there is no prove when it was posted. I had previous problems with post in my area (Dublin 8) when some letters got redirected to different post offices and where bouncing back and forth between then, but then I got some sticker saying that it was delay due to that etc. Some of my letters got to wrong letterboxes (leaving in apartment block), etc.

What should I do? Should I still try to pay it or wait for court summons? How long the summons takes to come (56 days passed end of May)? Is it coming thru registered post or handed in by Gardai?

If I get a court date can I postpone it? I am going for holiday in early August which I have booked and paid in February. Would court agree to postpone it if court date will collide with my holidays? Or should I delay receiving of summons to make sure that court date won't fall at the same time with my holidays?

Finally, when I get to court could I challenge the fine (first time offence) as never got ticket on time? Plead guilty to speeding but question the delivery time of the ticket (never had a chance to pay in time)? How can Garda (or An Post) prove that I got ticket on time? Would judge look into it?

Had anyone had similar experience?

What your thoughts about it? What should I do?

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

You cannot pay once the 56 days is over, it's an automatic court summons. You could take your chance in court and tell the judge you did not get the fine.
    Re going on holiday, make sure to tell the court on time and get someone to act on your behalf.
    Summons is hand delivered by gardai.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056675992

you might get some info in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 evsonia

Thanks!

Do you know how long it will take the summons to come in?

Advertisement