Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Critics

Options
  • 26-06-2012 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

There is a similar thread currently being discussed in the Film forum. I thought it might make for an interesting discussion here too.

I tend to read from a number of reviews before buying a game [unless its from a series I really like]. However, reviews from Jeff Gurstmann or Brad Shoemaker over at GiantBomb tend to get more consideration as they seem to have similar taste to my own.

Are there any video game critics/journalists/reviewers whose opinion you value?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Otacon wrote: »
    There is a similar thread currently being discussed in the Film forum. I thought it might make for an interesting discussion here too.

I tend to read from a number of reviews before buying a game [unless its from a series I really like]. However, reviews from Jeff Gurstmann or Brad Shoemaker over at GiantBomb tend to get more consideration as they seem to have similar taste to my own.

Are there any video game critics/journalists/reviewers whose opinion you value?

Jeff Gerstmann, N'Gai Croal, Michael McWhertor, Brian Crecente. Off the top of my head.

Croal doesn't write as much as he used to (my perception anyway). Both Crecente and McWhertor have left Kotaku (Crecente is EIC over at Polygon, McWhertor writes a few things for them). If I check out Kotaku once a month now, that would be it. Went from a site I liked to one I don't like at all.

On this side of the pond, I like Johnny Minkley over at EG. Tom Bramwell is a decent writer too.

Interesting topic of conversation btw, thanks Otacon.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Helix is good! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Helix is good! ;)

i try

generally i do find though, that barring a few notable exceptions, i tend to get things fairly on the nose from speaking to gamers more often than not. i even manage to put my hatred of certain games aside occasionally to give them fair reviews

not final fantasy though - iirc ive never reviewed an FF game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I like David Jenkins of Gamecentral (formerly on Channel 4's defunct Teletext service, now on Metro.co.uk) and Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the guys are Giantbomb are dreadful, Dark Souls has terrible controls? Yeah right.

There's only a hand full of reviewers that I'd trust. 1up are usually pretty good until they merged with IGN and have had a few really bad IGN reviewers write reviews. I'd always trust a review by Jeremy Parish and Kat Bailey. Really liked Shane Battenhausen and Jon Davidson when they were around. Also like a couple of freelancers like Ray Barnholt and Frank Cifaldi and a few of the Eurogamer guys although they have their fair share of muppets as well in particular Dan Whitehead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I find Ben Croshaw's reviews to be fair, impartial, accurate, balanced and unbiased.

Ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I find the guys are Giantbomb are dreadful, Dark Souls has terrible controls? Yeah right.

To be fair that was not the consensus of all of them. Vinny Carravella had a love /hate relationship with that game.

I don't actually read that many reviews. I just tend to listen to impressions of games on various podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

The gamecentral team from the old channel 4 teletext service now operating on metro.co.uk, not once have i ever regretted buying a game from their reviews and will continue to listen to only their recommendations for as long as they operate.
    While i enjoy Ben Croshaw's reviews i find him to be more comedic then in depth.

I find it hard to trust any other critics "opinion" since the Kane and Lynch Gamespot scandal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,447 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be fair that was not the consensus of all of them. Vinny Carravella had a love /hate relationship with that game.

I don't actually read that many reviews. I just tend to listen to impressions of games on various podcasts.

Well that wasn't the only sticking point but it was the straw that broke the camels back where I decided that the giantbombcast wasn't worth listening to anymore after trying it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

so far games i was looking forward and after your (helix) reviews it was spot on. So if i am on the fence on some game, i am always looking forward to hear you out.

as for other critics... i cant name and i dont really listen much of what people say...
    most of the time, i just go to GT trailer to check review, then get as much of gameplay videos i can to decide for myself if i like it, or not.
    i like to watch some Totalbiscuit reviews or previews/quick looks. He can show some stuff that normal reviewers would skip and find it not important.

*yup, go one, i know you want to call me an idiot for liking TB stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,744 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Mr E wrote: »
    I find Ben Croshaw's reviews to be fair, impartial, accurate, balanced and unbiased.

Ha.
    i read that in his voice!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Helix wrote: »
    i try

generally i do find though, that barring a few notable exceptions, i tend to get things fairly on the nose from speaking to gamers more often than not. i even manage to put my hatred of certain games aside occasionally to give them fair reviews

Self praise is the best form they say.

Dcully wrote: »
    Self praise is the best form they say.

it's not self praise, it's being happy with my work

• Registered Users Posts: 40 chrismartin4u

I play any game according to my own choice because I believe that never judge anything until you don't use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 jimbob81

I tend to go on metacritic to get a more broad sense of lots of review scores.

i try

I would like a review of final fantasy 8.

Shit sandwich.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Jeff Cannata of The Totally Rad Show and who also appears on Weekend Confirmed every week. He has years of experience is a wide range of genres, is knowledgeable about the culture of gaming going back a fair way (think hes 35 or that) and best of all he speaks eloquently when reviewing games. He can really dissect a game and tell you in great deals it strengths and failings. He also happens to have a very similar opinion to me on these matters, so I know if he thinks a game is good or shít, thats more than likely how I'll feel about it too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I find Gamespot to be quite good with reviews.
    I've read a few of Jeremy Parish's articles as well and he seems to know his stuff.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

I never really read reviews. I usually just go on YouTube before I buy a game and view gameplay videos to get a feel of it. But on the occasion I am about to buy a new game (where there may not be much gameplay) I tend to avoid IGN. Usually I just type in "...... review" into Google and pick a random result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

I find http://angryjoeshow.com/ very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭briany

I couldn't use a single review as a way to gauge anything no matter how many times I've agreed with a writer's opinion. I prefer to browse various ones from professional to amateur and get an aggregate opinion plus a play of the demo if available. We now have so much information available to us that to do otherwise would be foolish in my opinion. Thank god we're no longer so reliant on professional reviews from a magazine to find out what games are 'good' or 'bad'.

I find Gamespot to be quite good with reviews.
    The cake is a lie
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=11&gs_id=9h&xhr=t&q=gamespot+kane+and+lynch+scandal&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=gamespot+ka&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=aa371a1c4c8326fa&biw=1366&bih=613
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    **** sandwich.
    What the hell are you talking aboot?

Does helix always take this long replying to review requests?

What the hell are you talking aboot?

If you seriously didn't get that reference then I suggest you sort your life out and watch Spinal Tap right now.
    Does helix always take this long replying to review requests?

You can't just ask a randomer on the internet to review a game and expect a response back. He gets paid to review games I doubt he is going to review one for free especially a game he hasn't played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I tend to check out a few different reviews, but Mark, who runs Classic Game Room is one of my favourites.

Humorous reviews of old and new games. And I think the things he finds enjoyable in games crosses over with my own taste to an extent. So that's perfect for me.

Humour a plenty, but still gets across the impression of the game. His style definitely isn't for everyone though, and he tends to have a less critical view, as in will see the good in a otherwise bad game, for the most part (Which is fine with me but other people will want something more critical I'd say)

I accept your challenge. However I need to go naughty and find grey area means to play it. Give me a week

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

What bothers me about the vast majority of games journalism is that for most reviewers the main question seems to be simply 'should you buy it or not', which to me is only one angle, and one of the least important in proper criticism. It's why I can't read IGN or Gamespot particularly - it reads like a mere product review rather than a piece of analytical criticism.

So, who do I actually like? Gamecentral are certainly good for breaking down games in a simple, accessible and down-to-earth manner. Edge I continue to read because, for their occasional pretension or misjudged review, they tend to dive deeper into what makes any given game tick - especially with their excellent new Post Script analyses. Eurogamer tend to be interesting, but they're more hit and miss. Gamasutra and a few others tend to be good for the nitty gritty stuff of game development and design, although I don't read them as much as I should.

I'm one of those weirdos who appreciates a review after the fact rather than before, so I wish there were more sites / publications out there that were willing to delve a bit deeper. I must start getting Retro Gamer more, as that definitely seems to offer it, but alas Edge and Sight & Sound tend to take up my magazine budget for any given month.

Retro gamer is pretty much the best games magazine at the moment. I get it every month without fail.

So what constitutes the perfect review for people? What do you like to see covered in depth?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So what constitutes the perfect review for people? What do you like to see covered in depth?

There's no perfect review, that's the thing. It varies from game to game, and I don't think there's a singular formula that can be applied to the process. Again, I like the Edge model. To take Max Payne 3 this month, the actual review goes in to the mechanics and features in-depth. But more interesting is the post-script article which examines the cinematic influences in the game, and compares it to the predominantly noir-stylings of the earlier ones.

Basically, it's not just a matter of hitting the old graphics-gameplay-music-outof10 bullet points. It's about providing some level of original insight in to the experience. I'd love a publication, for example, that reviewed and analysed games for people who've actually played them. Spoilers be damned!

The 'should I buy it?' style of review will always have its place. But compared to film criticism, gaming journalism doesn't go far beyond that.

Advertisement