Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Game Critics

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If you seriously didn't get that reference then I suggest you sort your life out and watch Spinal Tap right now.
    Ive had Spinal Tap on my laptop for over a month now but Game of Thrones and Breaking Bad are above it in the pecking order im afraid.

You can't just ask a randomer on the internet to review a game and expect a response back. He gets paid to review games I doubt he is going to review one for free especially a game he hasn't played.
    Apologies, the few people ive come across that review games usually just had a website with their reviews and made ad money off the site, i didn't realise he was being employed.

Helix wrote: »
    I accept your challenge. However I need to go naughty and find grey area means to play it. Give me a week
    I was only kidding when i requested it seeing as you specifically mentioned not having reviewed any Final Fantasy games. Ill be happy to read it if you do it but i already have the game siting on my shelf. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Helix wrote: »
    So what constitutes the perfect review for people? What do you like to see covered in depth?

I agree with johnny_ultimate that there's no such thing. Everyone values aspects of a game differently and might feel the area doesn't get enough attention.

For example, I'm a bit of an audiophile and good sound design in a game is something I highly value, but I don't see it commented on much in a lot of reviews.

And even then, the importance of the different elements like story and graphics varies between games. If it's going for a lush, immersive style then visuals and sound to back it up are important. If it's something more fast paced and gameplay based, fun and controls are the priority etc.

That's why I'll always go for multiple reviews, cause no one person is gonna hit all the aspects in their review. What one person loves the other might hate etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Apologies, the few people ive come across that review games usually just had a website with their reviews and made ad money off the site, i didn't realise he was being employed.

I was only kidding when i requested it seeing as you specifically mentioned not having reviewed any Final Fantasy games. Ill be happy to read it if you do it but i already have the game siting on my shelf. :pac:

I'm fortunate enough to be editor in chief for the biggest gaming mag in Canada, and one of the biggest in the world distribution wise, which is nice :) we also have an Irish edition too

I know you were only kidding about the review, but I think it'd be fun to review something I genuinely hate for no good reason

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Agricola wrote: »
    Jeff Cannata of The Totally Rad Show and who also appears on Weekend Confirmed every week. He has years of experience is a wide range of genres, is knowledgeable about the culture of gaming going back a fair way (think hes 35 or that) and best of all he speaks eloquently when reviewing games. He can really dissect a game and tell you in great deals it strengths and failings. He also happens to have a very similar opinion to me on these matters, so I know if he thinks a game is good or shít, thats more than likely how I'll feel about it too.

I think he'l does great reviews. He seems genuinely passionate about games, more so than most.

Kieron Gillen also wrote excellent reviews during his days on PC Gamer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Kieron Gillen also wrote excellent reviews during his days on PC Gamer.

He went a bit pretentious with his 'New Videogame Journalism' bull**** a while ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Shit sandwich.

I thanked your post here but decided to remove it.
    I think that you are being unfair to bread here. FF8 is just shít

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He went a bit pretentious with his 'New Videogame Journalism' bull**** a while ago.

Any excuse to post this.

Games TM and the Giantbomb guys seem to share my opinions on games so I'd pay more heed to them. I'd be much more inclinded to give a game I know nothing about a chance if they're raving about it on the Bombcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

(Sorry if this is in the wrong place just looking for a few pointers).

Are there any gaming sites that you trust with their articles without question? And the same would go for their writers.

I know some sites have a bad reputation (the likes of IGN). And some publications are gospel (Games TM has never let me down). Just wondering would you have any others that you'd recommend reading?

Used to love Consolevania just for the reviews. Not sure if it was the accent or the wacky metaphors, but it was just a great show. (I'll include VideoGaiden in on that too...probably because it's the same two guys!).

Thanks a mil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Giant Bomb and Games TM are the only two I'd really trust. As in, buy a game I hadn't heard on the strength of their recommendations.

Used to feel the same way about Eurogamer but there have been a lot of recent 8/10 reviews that I just haven't been able to understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

chin_grin wrote: »
    Are there any gaming sites that you trust with their articles without question? And the same would go for their writers

This came up a few weeks ago. I've merged your question with that discussion. :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement