Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15,5 min bike improvement. 7 min run improvemnt

Options
  • 26-06-2012 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭

kilkee female winner hell of the west times in 2011...249 th place 480 Fem 6 35-39 T3 00:25:05 (055) 00:01:36 01:31:28 (369) 00:01:00 00:49:00 (270) 02:48:08

2012 27th place 02:27:49 Female 1 28:01:00 00:59 01:16:04 00:51 00:41:51
    from totaly non aero road bike to , tt bike cheap cosmic aero wheels and aero helmet.
    no hr no power meter. retul bike fit toally changed.

Bit like Fazz improvement I think he improveed in valentia from 81th to 10th or 11th
    she from 249 th to 27th ( and with out the swim f up and crash on bike-that left helmet cracked god knows between 15th and 17 th anyway that dosnt count but i always see and excuse section on this board ;-)

can we agree she dosnt need a power meter but bike handling skills first ????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Unless there's a control subject how do you know she wouldn't have gone even faster with a power meter? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I give up ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Using the second placed female as a control subject, she biked 4:30 faster this year and ran only 12 second faster.

So thats some impressive improvement, but anyone can improve without a power meter. Would/Could she have improved further with one?

2nd placed female did not have best day ( despit toe warmer very cold on bike) , and on the run needed to save legs for this weeks race and she was clear enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭speedyj

I like those transition improvements too :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

How many hours per week training this year vs. last?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Coach me for free next year and I'll be your control subject. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

So it only cost her €2400 to improve then?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

peter kern wrote: »
    kilkee female winner hell of the west times in 2011...249 th place 480 Fem 6 35-39 T3 00:25:05 (055) 00:01:36 01:31:28 (369) 00:01:00 00:49:00 (270) 02:48:08

from totaly non aero road bike to , tt bike cheap cosmic aero wheels and aero helmet.

Bit like Fazz improvement I think he improveed in valentia from 81th to 10th or 11th
    she from 249 th to 27th ( and with out the swim f up and crash on bike-that left helmet cracked god knows between 15th and 17 th anyway that dosnt count but i always see and excuse section on this board ;-)

so the TT bike made a big difference to her bike and run...technology does work;)
    PS-where can you get cheap cosmic wheels???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Very impressive improvements alright there indeed.

I have had similar fortune as you mention and to be honest folks, I've been open about it but I'd put the single most important reason down to a very good coach.

Hell I've probably tried more of the gadgets and other methods in the process but the real value is definitely quality coaching.

I think I saw she's in for Athlone too or was that just Vanessa?
    Will be interesting to compare splits and progress up with the likes of Aoife Lynch and Jennifer Duffy assuming both get to Athlone fit.

I'm sure you're looking forward to reviewing this as much as her!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Sweet fvck Peter. you are like a rabid dog with a bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

longshank wrote: »

so the TT bike made a big difference to her bike and run...technology does work;)
    PS-where can you get cheap cosmic wheels???

Oh I hadn't factored in the cost of the bike and cheap wheels. So maybe about €4000 in total? Could have bough a power meter, copy of TARWAPM and a copy of the training bible for a lot less ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

Peter,
    how long is she in the sport, was the improvement down to the bike, wheels and\or training.
    Will there come a point where these gain wont be easy to come by and that's where we need to start using tools, (HR Power etc)

thanks,

its the third year of triathlon.
    about 33 % more training but much more consistency and since she dosnt train much no rest weeks.
    I would say gear about 6 min advantage maybe a it less as rain slowed down a bit. so maybe 5-6 min
    2500 euro till the end of the year for 20 plus min improvement is not bad you need to deduce a few things a she trains with the club I coach,so I see her 3 times a week. then last year 0 prize money this year we are already at 1400 so its already down to 3000.so lets assume we go up to 2 k its 2500 p a the sponsorship offers have come in so this sounds all quite cost effective to me. if she wants she couldprob sell bike and wheels and then she has a almost a black 0 at the end of the year. for science gear and coaching.

BennyMul wrote: »
    Peter,
    how long is she in the sport, was the improvement down to the bike, wheels and\or training.
    Will there come a point where these gain wont be easy to come by and that's where we need to start using tools, (HR Power etc)

thanks,

A lot of improvement comes that we built a great positive environment with the t3 tri club with super positive training partner

Its unlikely that she needs a powermeter hr if I see her at 2-3 sessions a week.and at races and get frequent emails. I know whats happening ( and unfortunately i dodnt see many coaches at races, which I dont understand. since a powermeter can only tell you so much, seeing the athlete before during and after a race a powermeter will never be able to tell you .
    last week we had a session where we had athletes training togheter that combined 18 wins this year training at one session (its open to my athletes that are not t3 member)
    I am a firm believer that success creates success and this year we broke the critical mass and the plan is to now do the same with males. We have shown that we can do it . if you look where t3 was 2 years ago( one of the very slow clubs) then last year ago and this year you see a pathway. it was once one of the slowest clubs in ireland at kilkee 2012 we had 1st 7th and 9th place with less than 50 members. and trust me 7th and 9th wont be 7th and 9th next year. and they improved also 15 min from last year and one girl has 6 min improvement in gear the other 3min. that positive environment is key for me and everybody is happy if the other person performs. And then I am lucky that she is very smart and at the same time listens very well.
    the first person to congratulate her was last years kilkee winner also a pb3 athlete and this is the way I would like it a positive place. and likewise she would be thrilled if aoife does well this weekend or when vanessa won Athy .the kilkee winner wheels will be on the Bike of another pb3 dark horse this weekend..... At todays session a nat champ was towed on the run by another female that has won 3 nat series races this year and took it easeir on the bike today. I saw the best session I have ever seen from a p3 athlete) . So I feel its a win win situation and on a smaller scale what happens in Leeds at the moment.

A lot of improvement comes that we built a great positive environment with the t3 tri club with super positive training partner

Its unlikely that she needs a powermeter hr if I see her at 2-3 sessions a week.and at races and get frequent emails. I know whats happening ( and unfortunately i dodnt see many coaches at races, which I dont understand. since a powermeter can only tell you so much, seeing the athlete before during and after a race a powermeter will never be able to tell you .
    last week we had a session where we had athletes training togheter that combined 18 wins this year training at one session (its open to my athletes that are not t3 member)
    I am a firm believer that success creates success and this year we broke the critical mass and the plan is to now do the same with males. We have shown that we can do it . if you look where t3 was 2 years ago( one of the very slow clubs) then last year ago and this year you see a pathway. it was once one of the slowest clubs in ireland at kilkee 2012 we had 1st 7th and 9th place with less than 50 members. and trust me 7th and 9th wont be 7th and 9th next year. and they improved also 15 min from last year and one girl has 6 min improvement in gear the other 3min. that positive environment is key for me and everybody is happy if the other person performs. And then I am lucky that she is very smart and at the same time listens very well.
    the first person to congratulate her was last years kilkee winner also a pb3 athlete and this is the way I would like it a positive place. and likewise she would be thrilled if aoife does well this weekend or when vanessa won Athy .the kilkee winner wheels will be on the Bike of another pb3 dark horse this weekend..... At todays session a nat champ was towed on the run by another female that has won 3 nat series races this year and took it easeir on the bike today. I saw the best session I have ever seen from a p3 athlete) . So I feel its a win win situation and on a smaller scale what happens in Leeds at the moment.

Again you cannot get away from the lack of improvement in the field of the years, male and female. Are your athletes getting better in comparison to the field or is this just a changing of the guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Should this not be on www.adverts.ie?

Im almost sold, but will have to add it to the Confessions list to get past the wife,
    Peter do you cater for the budget athlete?

Im almost sold, but will have to add it to the Confessions list to get past the wife,
    Peter do you cater for the budget athlete?

before you cough up for a coach....have him prove that the coach improvements aren't just a coincidence.
    Taking a coach means you have decided to take your training to a different level and take the sport more seriously, if you made that decision but decided to self coach the knowledge you would gain having to figure it out for yourself could mean you would improve more in the long term?? Is the coaching effect purely coincidence/short-term/placebo effect??

longshank wrote: »
    before you cough up for a coach....have him prove that the coach improvements aren't just a coincidence.
    Taking a coach means you have decided to take your training to a different level and take the sport more seriously, if you made that decision but decided to self coach the knowledge you would gain having to figure it out for yourself could mean you would improve more in the long term?? Is the coaching effect purely coincidence/short-term/placebo effect??

At the moment I can't afford to pay for a coach anyway(based on the prices I have seen online).
    I do agree with you on the proving part, I have met a number of "cycling coaches" that have done a course but haven't a clue on how to actually train a person, only know the theory,
    personally I need to know why Im doing a set, what will be gained from it. I do not like the approach of dictating what to do with no more information.

As for next year (if Im allowed :p) I will probably self-coach, Read all the material I can get and find out what works for me (and silly questions here). however I would like the additional confidence that a coach who believes in you brings,

• Advertisement

At the moment I can't afford to pay for a coach anyway(based on the prices I have seen online).
    I do agree with you on the proving part, I have met a number of "cycling coaches" that have done a course but haven't a clue on how to actually train a person, only know the theory,
    personally I need to know why Im doing a set, what will be gained from it. I do not like the approach of dictating what to do with no more information.

As for next year (if Im allowed :p) I will probably self-coach, Read all the material I can get and find out what works for me (and silly questions here). however I would like the additional confidence that a coach who believes in you brings,

I help a few people with their training. I would like to think I have an idea of what I am doing I do a good job.

That being said I really miss my old coach. Self coaching is hard. I've tried to make myself accountable to friends and the wife but its not the same as having a programme done up on a weekly basis and then being accountable for hitting it. Too easy to rejig training in your head.

ups I thought this was adverts.ie since all race organicers go there and promote their races and athletes promote themselves with training blogs ;-)

ups I thought this was adverts.ie since all race organicers go there and promote their races and athletes promote themselves with training blogs ;-)

don't worry Peter....actually being at races coaching your athletes is better than any adverts.ie...despite my sceptical comments about coaches, I do believe in the good ones, I just think there are a lot of bluffers out there in the sports/fitness coaching world and the good ones can be hard to find.

few adverts use facts. I backed it up with numbers ;-)
    It will be hard for anybody to blow a hole in my advert, if one does a few google searches where those athletes where a few years ago.

Ouote I just think there are a lot of bluffers out there in the sports/fitness coaching world and the good ones can be hard to find.
    quote.

dosnt this go with everything from A -Z and not just sport.
    banks Politicians etc etc

few adverts use facts. I backed it up with numbers ;-)

Surely not???? Would that not be the application of science?

how many world champs has joe friel coached anyways. Since we are at this point . Or total immersion for arguments sake ?

people buy marketing so the sports industry gives them bull ****.

how many world champs has joe friel coached anyways. Since we are at this point . Or total immersion for arguments sake ?

people buy marketing so the sports industry gives them bull ****.

Whats this if not PB3 marketing? :)

tunney wrote: »
    Surely not???? Would that not be the application of science?

would application of facts sound better ?

do you have the answer dave?

its O for both and they are world famous ......

• Advertisement

than ask people who is john hellermans
    and they shrug their shoulders.

Advertisement