Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

Tigger wrote: »
    H is Hargreaves not Hilton
    Hilton is a pawn and important to the organisation because of his professional power not his gang position
    Hilton gave his secret gang number out to try to get sex with Roz.
    Hargreaves and the murdersquad girl Sam come in to interrogate hubby
    Sam and jimmy (sic) are watching Roz' confession and she jumps up and disappears and Hilton is tipped off but she answers to Hargreaves not Hilton
    Jamie waits instructions from Hilton
    If Hilton was the leader he'd not have had himself killed
    Hargreaves is the leader of the police ring

I don't doubt that Hargreaves is involved but wasn't The Caddy revealing information about a high ranking officer that was involved? ie Hilton...

I can imagine that it's Hargreaves calling the shots inside the police alright. Do we have any other info about the gangsters? Tommy wasn't the top dog there, sure he wasn't. Didn't we see him on the phone to his "boss" at one stage?

I thought this article sums things up well. (spoilers so avoid if you haven't watched the series 4 finale yet....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

HiGlo wrote: »
    I don't doubt that Hargreaves is involved but wasn't The Caddy revealing information about a high ranking officer that was involved? ie Hilton...

I can imagine that it's Hargreaves calling the shots inside the police alright. Do we have any other info about the gangsters? Tommy wasn't the top dog there, sure he wasn't. Didn't we see him on the phone to his "boss" at one stage?

I thought this article sums things up well. (spoilers so avoid if you haven't watched the series 4 finale yet....)
    hargreaves is on the H boards along with hilton and hastings at the end so ac12 were considering him high enough

seperatly tony pitts could throw steve around like the balaclava man did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    Balls.. but there was a 2 year wait for all other series. We were just lucky this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Guardian reckoned series 5 was already in the works, maybe everyone is busy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Mercurio hasn't even started writing it yet. He actually has another series in the pipeline to do first before he starts S5 of LoD. (Maya Sondhi on BBC breakfast this morning.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,014 ✭✭✭✭Basq

On the plus side, this will give me more time to hunt out Bodies. His acclaimed medical series with Max Beesley. Meant to be excellent!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Basq wrote: »
    On the plus side, this will give me more time to hunt out Bodies. His acclaimed medical series with Max Beesley. Meant to be excellent!

It is, fantastic drama and, for this layman, a very realistic depiction of hospital politics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Really enjoyed but it was total fantasy.

Every test result happened at impossibly fast pace, everything analysed and results concluded within days, DNA profiles on bacteria within hours, caseloads of data produced single handedly ( pun intended) while still getting the kids fed and the husband sorted all while everyone is helping/ hindering/ watching/ informing ( off the record) on everyone else.
    And not a toilet or smokebreak between them.
    No wonder Ifield didn't find a PULSE;)

thought that it was an ok series overall. thought that there could have been a bit more of a subplot in it to go with the main Thandie Newton storyline as they had done in other years (e.g. had the child abuse plot linked with the main plot in season 3), especially in the mid-point. they did bring in the over-arching top-level corruption thing back in towards the end but not completely effectively I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

That's a shame. The show has really taken off so you'd think they would have sped things up a bit. Is two years for a six-episode series the norm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This season has been the rushed to air one.

Season 1 was in 2012

Season 2 was in 2014

Season 3 was in 2016

This season was 2017

So two years to season 5 is more in line with the first 3 seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

So far it's been, #1 Aug 2012, #2 Feb 2014, 3# Mar 2016, #4 Mar 2017. I suppose it's down to Mercurio. In between series 2 and 3 he wrote Critical. Now he has something else on.

Edit: Slow typing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why did they make Roz so utterly unlikeable? There wasn't even a hint that she might be a human.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Why did they make Roz so utterly unlikeable? There wasn't even a hint that she might be a human.
    Yeah that'll only happen when she meets Anthony Hopkins though

I noticed this too. I'm guessing it was to sow seeds of doubt.

There were hints that the relationship with the husband was on the rocks and she seemed dismissive of him like when she jeered him afterpicking him up in the car post- Steve assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭buswankers

I only discovered Line of duty after watching a clip of it on Gogglebox UK a couple of weeks ago & cannot believe how gripping it has been to watch! I watched the first two seasons on Netflix over Easter weekend followed by season 3 & had the first 5 episodes of season 4 watched in time for the finale of S4 on Sunday night! I dont know how I'll survive for 2 years without the new series.

I really dont want them to make Hastings dirty as I think that would be just one step too far and would be an indicator that it is the end of the road for the show.

But overall hats off to the writer, I cant believe that I hadnt heard about this until a few weeks ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anyone know if season 3 is coming to Netflix soon? If not, where else can one (legitimately!) get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Anyone know if season 3 is coming to Netflix soon? If not, where else can one (legitimately!) get it?

I recently got the boxset, I couldn't find it in any bricks & mortar shop so had to get it online from HMV. Took about 3-4 days to arrive. I believe it's available on the BBC iPlayer if you are located in the North.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭dball

try your local library - they can order it in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Not sure why all roads would lead to Hastings but its a useful plot device to maintain suspense.

So far Hastings has defended the work of AC-12 to the last including against the wishes of corrupt superiors. If he was "bent", he'd just go along with those superiors. AC-12 have done most to uncover dodgy dealings and corruption, so why would he assist or defend their work?

If he does turn out to be "bent" there would need to be a massive twist. Having said that, the safest place for a corrupt officer would be as a member of or head of an anti corruption unit. I just hope Mercurio doesn't go for a safe resolution to all this, that it was obvious who it was all along. That would be an anti climax.

2 years to wait for the next series is way too long! BBC need to get out the chequebook if need be!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

:eek: They'll **** it up royally. They nearly always do

Loved Adrian Dunbars Jim MacDonald impersonations!

You would need to have been watching from Series 1 to understand a lot of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Why can't the Americans watch non-subtitled english language shows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

:eek: They'll **** it up royally. They nearly always do

The fact thT it's Netflix/Amazon, rather that one of the US networks means maybe not. People like HBO and AMC have produced some of the best TV drama ever made. However, it does seem more than a bit uneccesary. Just watch the original.

Now that the dust has settled a bit on the latest series, I have to say I think it was weaker than earlier series. Too many of the characters actions didn't really make sense, and the attempt to link it back to earlier series felt a little forced to me. However, I'll still be looking forward to series 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

I loved it as I watched it but roz's actions with regard to farmer make little sense in retrospect. She was clearly trying to frame him and if this was to catch Hilton some how (how?) she could have explained that to AC12.

Loved Adrian Dunbars Jim MacDonald impersonations!

You would need to have been watching from Series 1 to understand a lot of it.

Dunbar is from NI, I don't think he was doing an impersonation :confused:

oneilla wrote: »
    Dunbar is from NI, I don't think he was doing an impersonation :confused:

Here, now, Fella. Are you saying that he wasn't acting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Benzino wrote: »
    I recently got the boxset, I couldn't find it in any bricks & mortar shop so had to get it online from HMV. Took about 3-4 days to arrive. I believe it's available on the BBC iPlayer if you are located in the North.

Just noticed it's on Apple ITunes too for fairly reasonable cost...

Advertisement