Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

gmisk wrote: »
    Lots of holes as you say.
    One example why would he be shaking like mad from nerves while pouring out milk in prison if he is the feared H

I mentioned it at the time and thinking again it seems the most logical, H is a woman, not a man at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Think a seventh series is a given.

Way too many loose ends to wrap up in one episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

ShagNastii wrote: »
    Think a seventh series is a given.

Way too many loose ends to wrap up in one episode.

Will they identify who H is but not catch him/her, then 7 is then trying to catch him/her

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Loverlyhorse

would the other police not notice there was somebody there they didn't know?

In reality, yes. In this show, probably not. The whole thing is getting a bit ridiculous. Kate running away with the girl who tried to get her killed, please...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Loverlyhorse

gmisk wrote: »
    Lots of holes as you say.
    One example why would he be shaking like mad from nerves while pouring out milk in prison if he is the feared H

The whole show is full of holes. Anything is possible now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    People on LOD Reddit are also saying Carmicael clicked her pen 4 times before some of Jo's "no comment" replies

This is in addition to her tapping the pad 4 times

I'll need to go back and watch it, but possible coded warnings to Jo if this is the case

I noticed the tapping on the pad, but not the pen clicks. I did think it was strange cos they'd be audible on the tape recording.

If H is a woman, could it actually be Carmichael? And the OTTness of it all is throwing the audience off? Or Wise?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Just thinking about it. If instead of going on the run with Jo, Kate had just arrested and brought Jo into AC12, nothing would change from a storyline perspective in the episode. After all, Kate was free to go and back doing her job by the episode's end.

So... What was the point in the first 20 minutes, other than giving them an excuse to do the James Bond lite car chase?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

If she had succeeded, the “no comment” stuff would have been avoided as Jo was ready to spill the beans to Kate. That was the point.

If she had succeeded, the “no comment” stuff would have been avoided as Jo was ready to spill the beans to Kate. That was the point.

Was she though? Surely she would have told her everything in the sizable amount of time they were alone together, on the run. What were they waiting for, to chat about it over a coffee?

And why would Kate jeopardise her own career by harbouring a wanted bent copper and evading the police?

They've made Kate into an idiot just so the plot can happen.

Also, why was Kate free to go at the end? A suspension at least, you'd think... But no, right back on the job. She sped away from police!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

Hollyworth wrote: »
    Was she though? Surely she would have told her everything in the sizable amount of time they were alone together, on the run. What were they waiting for, to chat about it over a coffee?

And why would Kate jeopardise her own career by harbouring a wanted bent copper and evading the police?

They've made Kate into an idiot just so the plot can happen.

Also, why was Kate free to go at the end? A suspension at least, you'd think... But no, right back on the job. She sped away from police!

Jo’s evidence was that she forced Kate to do that.

• Advertisement

Jo’s evidence was that she forced Kate to do that.

Yes, but why would Kate do that in the first place? It makes no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Hollyworth wrote: »
    Yes, but why would Kate do that in the first place? It makes no sense.

To gain her trust and get information. And it nearly worked until they were caught. Simply arrest her and bring her in and she may have just said nothing and/or been killed before she had a chance to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Well that was a shocker last night . Strange to see 6 part series nosedive like LOD has . If it wrapped up at the end of season 4 it would have been one of the top shows i've ever seen .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

As many have said, the first 20 minutes was indeed bizarre. The only sense of Kate and Jo fleeing the scene is that Kate was trying to get more information from Jo. However the whole "we've been set up" narrative was very odd and the way Jo concocted the story about swapping guns was also very weird. Kate was perfectly entitled to shoot Ryan so I really didn't get that whole storyline. It did seem to be done this way purely to fit into the overall picture but it was a bit ridiculous really. Also the whole tracking AC12 cars bit was BS because this was Steves private car, not his work one. Again, Jed was taking a mallet to the script to make it fit here.
    On the whole Carmichael thing in the interview, I agree with how ShamboBuc and others put it earlier. She is a jobber, sent in to stop more muck being spread on coppers. Once you look at her that way, her behaviour towards Ted was quite understandable - I mean he was getting quite desperate at times in that interview, so to someone viewing him as having lost it somewhat, you could understand why she would want to stop him. Overall the interview scene was the best part of the episode and did set things up for next week.
    I do hope next week is the final episode as tbh parts of this have just gone beyond parody. "Alright, alright" for one, "Jesus, Mary, Joseph and the wee donkey" for another ... give me strength!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,495 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

People on LOD Reddit are also saying Carmicael clicked her pen 4 times before some of Jo's "no comment" replies

I'll need to go back and watch it, but possible coded warnings to Jo if this is the case

Time to call in Carrie Matheson from the early days of Homeland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

What a stupid episode. I get its a drama TV show but some of the writing is beyond shambolic i.e. the first 20 mins, does anyone have any rational reason why they left the scene, made no sense. Trackers on cars. Carmichael's constant over the top patronising behaviour.

Mercurio has form for this. Bodyguard went down the same route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

I genuinely think Osbourne NEEDS to be H.

I know it might be "too obvious" but at this stage we need a resolution to the story - so it should be obvious.
    There's already been too many misdirects; Hilton, Hargreaves, Hasting, Hunter...
    We're looking at some serious WWE moments if Ted, Kate, Steve or even Carmichael comes out as H.

Also think it's fairly flimsy how we've even gotten here, from H to the now "fourth man" that Ted shoehorns in to conversations. All based on some lad tapping our morse code in his dying moments.

Didn't care for that episode at all.
    Totally understand why Jo would say "no comment" but selling the show on a 29 min interview, and having very little revealed is wasteful.
    It's like they felt they needed the long interview - they did. They didn't need the bloody car chase though.
    They've set up their dominoes, use the interview to knock them down now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Keyzer wrote: »
    What a stupid episode. I get its a drama TV show but some of the writing is beyond shambolic i.e. the first 20 mins, does anyone have any rational reason why they left the scene, made no sense.

also how could Kate and Jo's stories tally, unless they made up Jo's story between them before being brought in. If not Kate should still be behind bars for lying.

Why she lied about Pilkington does not make any sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I genuinely think Osbourne NEEDS to be H.

I know it might be "too obvious" but at this stage we need a resolution to the story - so it should be obvious.
    There's already been too many misdirects; Hilton, Hargreaves, Hasting, Hunter...
    We're looking at some serious WWE moments if Ted, Kate, Steve or even Carmichael comes out as H.

Also think it's fairly flimsy how we've even gotten here, from H to the now "fourth man" that Ted shoehorns in to conversations. All based on some lad tapping our morse code in his dying moments.

Are H and the fourth man not just different names for the same person?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

What a stupid episode. I get its a drama TV show but some of the writing is beyond shambolic i.e. the first 20 mins, does anyone have any rational reason why they left the scene, made no sense.

From Kate's point of view and getting info out of Jo that there was no way they would have got with a straight forward arrest, it made total sense. Kate was being brought to the print shop by Jo so she was getting somewhere. She had taken Steve's car so as not to be caught and to get more information.

It would have been better if they had actually just let that run a bit longer rather than saying, "oh they were caught because of trackers". Give it another few minutes, get some more info from Jo and then show Steve being pressured into saying Kate has his car or Steve getting worried for her safety and telling Ted she had his car.

I don't get the prove you're not bent thing though. Regardless of her remorse for the things she has done, Jo is a bent cop by purely carrying out her orders, under duress or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Are H and the fourth man not just different names for the same person?

Assume so, yeah.
    Which makes the forceful shift in narrative a little pointless.
    It doesn't benefit AC-12 in terms of understanding, and it's not necessary to do it for us.

The other bit that makes no sense is that Jo was holding onto Pilkington’s gun.

So, Kate realises she’s been lured there by Jo. Pilkington and Kate have a standoff. Kate kills Pilkington with a double tap. Jo is then swanning around holding the gun! Why doesn’t Kate have both guns?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Didn't Dot tap his hand 4 times when he was dying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

What a stupid episode. I get its a drama TV show but some of the writing is beyond shambolic i.e. the first 20 mins, does anyone have any rational reason why they left the scene, made no sense. Trackers on cars. Carmichael's constant over the top patronising behaviour.

That show went from oustanding first episode to a complete annoying joke by episode 3 or 4.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The other bit that makes no sense is that Jo was holding onto Pilkington’s gun.

So, Kate realises she’s been lured there by Jo. Pilkington and Kate have a standoff. Kate kills Pilkington with a double tap. Jo is then swanning around holding the gun! Why doesn’t Kate have both guns?

She only put her prints on it she didn’t possess it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

She possessed Pilkington's gun - and put her prints on Kate's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Jofspring wrote: »
    From Kate's point of view and getting info out of Jo that there was no way they would have got with a straight forward arrest, it made total sense. Kate was being brought to the print shop by Jo so she was getting somewhere. She had taken Steve's car so as not to be caught and to get more information.

I'll respectfully disagree.

It made absolutely no sense to me for two seasoned police officers to leave a scene where a serving police officer has just been shot dead. Regardless of the information available.

What should have happened was Kate immediately arrests Jo once Ryan was neutralized, rings it in and waits for the Police to arrive. She was issued a firearm for her own protection, this would also be noted.

She was lured to the location to be murdered, evidence would later corroborate this, absolutely no reason to leave the scene. Why would Jo be so forthcoming with information to Kate yet goes full "No Comment" mode in the interview.

I was literally scratching my head for the first 20 mins.

Really poor writing in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I've just started watching Line of Duty. Series 1. Feels like I'm in a parellel universe to you all.

Binge watching the rest. Aiming to have done so by Sunday. It's a quiet week otherwise.

She had Pilkingtons and was half holding Kate’s to get her fingerprints on it. So, for a few moments Jo was in possession of both guns.

Wtf Kate! :D

• Advertisement

To gain her trust and get information. And it nearly worked until they were caught. Simply arrest her and bring her in and she may have just said nothing and/or been killed before she had a chance to.

I'm sorry, no. That makes no sense. Why would Kate do that? Jo tried to have Kate killed.

Advertisement