Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

tretorn wrote: »
    Who was the man who was waiting for Hastings when he left the office, Hastings spoke to him for a few seconds, said he would be back to him and then there was no more about this.

The conversation seemed to be about property.
    Former DCI Mark Moffat. He was Rose Huntley's federation rep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭volchitsa

tretorn wrote: »
    Who was the man who was waiting for Hastings when he left the office, Hastings spoke to him for a few seconds, said he would be back to him and then there was no more about this.

The conversation seemed to be about property.

Pretty sure that was deliberate, to keep us in the dark about what is being offered to Ted exactly. We did see him telling his wife that he had hopes of getting all or part of it back (but is she really so venal that she is leaving a decades-long just because of a bad investment? That has to be just Ted's delusional thinking about finding a quick fix for his marriage, IMO)

By the way, the guy introduced himself as a retired police officer of some sort, now working for this property developer or picker-upper of failed companies or whatever. Ted knew him.

ETA (post above) Yes that was it, Roz Huntley's Union Rep when she was being questioned, season 4.
    ETA 2: just realized they're all called H aren't they!

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Jed Mercurio - you can't trust anyone!

Incidentally, there was a rather strategically placed laptop in Ted's hotel room. It's clear that he is a man burdened with stress - personal and professional.

Interesting that this season they've given a bit more of a view into the characters personal lives - albeit brief but more than before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭testtech05

Ted would seem to be too obvious alright but they are really putting the spotlight on him in this episode, even down to him having the same messaging app on his laptop in the hotel room as the OCG use to communicate with H.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

bemak wrote: »
    I reckon she's identified Maneet as the person who recruited her.

Nah I take Maneet's story at face value. Think she was genuinely helping her cousin and got in too far over her head. Probably didn't seem like being corrupt if it was Hilton. Like if my boss's boss asked me for info on something I'm working on without my boss knowing. You know it's wrong but maybe not criminal. They tried really hard to make it look as if it was Hastings, he's definitely going to be implicated this season but I don't think it was his photo. I do think she took it out and added to the lineup but she shouldn't have included it. I think she picked out
    Matthew Cotton....what if he's been in witness protection? The only way he would cooperate is if the OCG think he's dead. He even said something before he was shot to Kate like that if he came in like she was pleading with him to do he'd be a dead man. What if they made him a deal and he lived? And Hastings is in on it hence being really shady not because he's implicated but because he's afraid that she'll lead the inquiry towards Cotton? Far fetched probably and I'm not sure if she's supposed to have been recruited recently or years back but if it's not Hastings' photo the only other person who'd give that reaction to Kate and Steve is if it were Dot picked out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think on the Ted/Moffatt sub plot, it may end up showing another bad judgement call by Ted in his investments but I doubt it will be anything that links him to the OCG or the current case. However knowing Mercurio there will probably be some suspicion linking it for a while, just to keep us guessing. But Ted, involved in any criminal activity, nah, I'm not having that fella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,194 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

speaking of personal lives..... does anyone else find it strange that Steve's ex is now back on the scene all of a sudden. And guess who her boss is..... Lester Hargreaves

Really think I’m going to rewatch from season one. Its like I need grinds as this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Interesting that this season they've given a bit more of a view into the characters personal lives - albeit brief but more than before.

Just on that, is Kate back with her hubbie then? Seemed that way last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Incidentally, there was a rather strategically placed laptop in Ted's hotel room. It's clear that he is a man burdened with stress - personal and professional.

I'm surprised more people aren't discussing this, it was clearly open on a chat screen that was very similar to the one used when John was talking to H.

Really think I’m going to rewatch from season one. Its like I need grinds as this rate

Yeah it's great how much stuff goes all the way back to the early episodes. Last night had references to Karim Ali being shot in the very first scene of season 1 episode 1, and you also had the little kid Ryan from that series pop up in this week's episode as well as the bald thug from Jackie Laverty's Salon being in this season. One thing I don't think has happened yet is finding her body right? It went into that poor chap's fridge and that's the last we've heard of it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Unlikely to be Ted - why would they randomly have a photo of him in a drawer at all?

Dot was on the wall - they showed who she took down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Jed Mercurio - you can't trust anyone!

The laptop is pure misdirection.

Btw I think the there is a plan to make look Hastings look bent (by the OCG). I don’t trust that UCO at all but he knows what wires to pull to get Steve on board. Talk about bent coppers at the very top.
    Also I think the picture was Dot.

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Unlikely to be Ted - why would they randomly have a photo of him in a drawer at all?

Dot was on the wall - they showed who she took down.

Well he would have been as he used to be on the wall! Until he told Kate to take his picture down. That’s why the script made her go to that drawer, however i think that’s also misdirection.

8-10 wrote: »
    Nah I take Maneet's story at face value. Think she was genuinely helping her cousin and got in too far over her head. Probably didn't seem like being corrupt if it was Hilton. Like if my boss's boss asked me for info on something I'm working on without my boss knowing. You know it's wrong but maybe not criminal. They tried really hard to make it look as if it was Hastings, he's definitely going to be implicated this season but I don't think it was his photo. I do think she took it out and added to the lineup but she shouldn't have included it. I think she picked out
    Matthew Cotton....what if he's been in witness protection? The only way he would cooperate is if the OCG think he's dead. He even said something before he was shot to Kate like that if he came in like she was pleading with him to do he'd be a dead man. What if they made him a deal and he lived? And Hastings is in on it hence being really shady not because he's implicated but because he's afraid that she'll lead the inquiry towards Cotton? Far fetched probably and I'm not sure if she's supposed to have been recruited recently or years back but if it's not Hastings' photo the only other person who'd give that reaction to Kate and Steve is if it were Dot picked out

Very interesting suggestion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

IMG-20190408-110518.jpg

The drawer - "current AC-12 personnel" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

IMG-20190408-110518.jpg

Well done laddy!!!

We don't know the order they were put down either though, the one picked might have been from the wall not the drawer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Ted is in some way involved with the Masons. I'm sure that will come out during this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

IMG-20190408-110518.jpg

Mother of Gawwwd

• Advertisement

Myself and my missus been talking about this all morning. So many possibilities. One thing we have both ruled out is Hastings, if its him I'm done with the show after all his, I'm only interested in catching bent coppers shtick. It just cant be him. Also Hiltons pic was taken off the wall so cant be him.

Gonna have to get the brain thinking on previous seasons and come up with a possibility. It's all linked. I love it.

kerry37 wrote: »
    Also Hiltons pic was taken off the wall so cant be him.

Why not? I don't think it was him but his name was in the lineup, the photos she grabbed were:
    • Jeremy Cole
    • Dot Cotton
    • Manish Prasad
    • Patrick Fairbank
    • Derek Hilton
    • Mystery AC-12 photo from the drawer, likely Hastings

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it was
    Dot Cotton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

IMG-20190408-110518.jpg

You didn't float down the Lagan in a bubble, that's for sure!

Why not? I don't think it was him but his name was in the lineup, the photos she grabbed were:
    • Jeremy Cole
    • Dot Cotton
    • Manish Prasad
    • Patrick Fairbank
    • Derek Hilton
    • Mystery AC-12 photo from the drawer, likely Hastings

The more I think about it the more I'm convinced it was
    Dot Cotton

We have discounted all the pics taken off the wall as being too obvious. Surely they're not gonna have H hiding in plain sight for us

I'm convinced whatever photo she took out of the drawer, that's H and it isn't Hastings (I hope)

We have discounted all the pics taken off the wall as being too obvious. Surely they're not gonna have H hiding in plain sight for us

I'm convinced whatever photo she took out of the drawer, that's H and it isn't Hastings (I hope)

I didn't say it was H. I don't think the person she identifies is H. Would be crazy to think of how secretive H is that he recruits someone at that level. Do you really believe she was recruited directly by H? I think we'll have to wait a few episodes before finding out who H is personally

I didn't say it was H. I don't think the person she identifies is H. Would be crazy to think of how secretive H is that he recruits someone at that level. Do you really believe she was recruited directly by H? I think we'll have to wait a few episodes before finding out who H is personally

Yeah missus said that too. We're gonna rewatch last nights episode again tonight. Haven't been this deep into a TV show for a long time. Really enjoying it

It doesn’t have to be H. H isn’t going to be revealed in the 3rd episode of the second last season, in fact we won’t find out until the next one.

An already known compromised officer would be a good explanation for the cliff hanger.

It doesn’t have to be H. H isn’t going to be revealed in the 3rd episode of the second last season, in fact we won’t find out until the next one.

An already known compromised officer would be a good explanation for the cliff hanger.

Ah ffs. Yes. Clearly getting wayyyy ahead of myself lol. I might be just a little excited with this show lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

H=Hargreaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Whoever 'H' , or the 'top man' is, I betcha it's a woman!

Bear with me, this was written/produced amidst the #metoo craic, by an organisation big into being seen as progressive and PC (the BBC), so it's obvious.

Either that advisor to the Chief Constable that reappeared last night, or maybe even Mrs Hastings!!

I dunno, many red herrings, but an excellent series all the same. Stephen Graham as John Corbett is an excellent actor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭brian_t

For most of the two episodes Lisa seemed to be somewhat subservient to Corbett who seemed to be the gangs leader.

Yet Lisa seemed to be more dominant when the communication between Corbett and H was happening.

Or was that just my imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

brian_t wrote: »
    For most of the two episodes Lisa seemed to be somewhat subservient to Corbett who seemed to be the gangs leader.

Yet Lisa seemed to be more dominant when the communication between Corbett and H was happening.

Or was that just my imagination.

I noticed this too but I think its a quirk of the writing. When they wanted us to think Lisa was an at-risk UCO she seemed nervous all the time and John was super confident. Now we know its the opposite Lisa is full of confidence and John is edgy, reflecting how he's vulnerable and she isn't.

Yeah exactly, she was like a different character in last nights , god it’s so clever

Right I’m starting season one here! I’m committed if nothing else!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,048 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I'm thinking she'll have probably have indicated Hilton.. too early for a Hastings reveal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,359 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Who did she identify?
    it looked like dot to me..mi might have paused it a few times..
    Another cracking episode

Hastings looking seriously shifty!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

H could be anyone known Jed Mercurio.

I don't think Ted, Steve or Kate will find out till the end of the series or even next series, but "H" identity might be revealed to the audience (or not).

Going by a few posts last night on Twitter, a few are saying it's
    Cottan
    picture she pointed to.

I re watched season 1 and Ryan Pilkington was a little pup to put it mildly. The last episode of season 1 had 3 people sitting with him when he was interviewed but we never really saw their faces as they were blurred out. I am wondering will one of these appear along with Ryan as H

I'm over analyzing :D

Going to start on season 2 soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Anyone else notice something a bit shifty about the new female detective? The one who drew attention to Maneet and her cousin?

It’s been great so far. I really like Stephen Graham, I think he’s playing his role well - a good actor, I remember him from way back playing “Tommy” in Snatch. I couldn’t believe he wasn’t actually a Londoner after I’d seen him in that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭This is it

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice something a bit shifty about the new female detective? The one who drew attention to Maneet and her cousin?

I was going to post earlier about her but didn't catch her name. Definitely shifty, whether that's because she found something or because she's up to something I'm not sure, I think she definitely has a part to play though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Anyone fancy getting drunk watching it?

RCcJU1K.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,664 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

JoeA3 wrote: »

It’s been great so far. I really like Stephen Graham, I think he’s playing his role well - a good actor, I remember him from way back playing “Tommy” in Snatch. I couldn’t believe he wasn’t actually a Londoner after I’d seen him in that.
    Graham is brilliant, remember him as Al capone in Boardwark Empire amongst other things, a fine actor.

Season 1 watched, this show is so addictive.
    Il have the 4 seasons rewatched by next Sunday

Cina wrote: »
    Anyone fancy getting drunk watching it?

RCcJU1K.jpg
    Where is the "staring over the balcony of judgement as someone comes into or out of the offfice"

Season 1 watched, this show is so addictive.
    Il have the 4 seasons watched by next Sunday

Stay away from this thread and spoilers! I'm jealous of you

Stay away from this thread and spoilers! I'm jealous of you

Oh I’m rewatching, thanks though!!
    Tbh it’s like watching for the first time again due to my concentration span and memory of a goldfish

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭tod1982

I'm wondering if Hastings was the picture picked out and is being set up by Corbett
    Corbett didn't seem to think much of Hastings when talking with Steve, is he trying to implicate him or set him up in some way as he thinks he's dirty. He doesn't care what happens to dirty cops
    The op to steal the ammunition wasn't approved by the OCG.
    When Lisa visits Jane Cafferty as the nurse does she tell her to point to Hastings as the one who recruited her. We don't know what conversation took place here.
    He tells Steve to watch her place. He drops the other fella off with the money knowing that Steve is watching and Cafferty will be arrested

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

tod1982 wrote: »
    I'm wondering if Hastings was the picture picked out and is being set up by Corbett

Yeah im leaning towards this too. This season could be about proving Hastings innocence resulting in the identification of the actual H at the end of the season which the capture of will be the focus of the final season.

tod1982 wrote: »
    Corbett didn't seem to think much of Hastings when talking with Steve, is he trying to implicate him or set him up in some way as he thinks he's dirty. He doesn't care what happens to dirty cops
    The op to steal the ammunition wasn't approved by the OCG.
    When Lisa visits Jane Cafferty as the nurse does she tell her to point to Hastings as the one who recruited her. We don't know what conversation took place here.
    He tells Steve to watch her place. He drops the other fella off with the money knowing that Steve is watching and Cafferty will be arrested

I think that this series will be about implicating Hastings as a corrupt officer, and we the viewer won't be certain either. Theres a few interesting interviews coming up when Steve and Kate ( and somebody of one rank higher than Ted) interview Hastings, if so.

But in the end I think he will be clean.

Alternatively all of this is misdirection by Mercurio, and its somebody else in the frame. That said, unlike other series theres no other bad cop protagonists at this stage.

Edit:

Well the UCO I suppose, but we don't know about him.

Ok quick question
    how was no one killed in that shoot out with the transportation of all the guns? The amount of bullets etc was insane?
    Were the criminal gang all firing blanks? It didnt look like it given the damage to the cars? Plus stephen graham elbowed that guy out of the way when he was about to shoot the armed police man.
    Why did the police not return fire?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,621 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

gmisk wrote: »
    Ok quick question
    how was no one killed in that shoot out with the transportation of all the guns? The amount of bullets etc was insane?
    Were the criminal gang all firing blanks? It didnt look like it given the damage to the cars? Plus stephen graham elbowed that guy out of the way when he was about to shoot the armed police man.
    Why did the police not return fire?

Bulletproof cars that absorbed the damage in the bodywork. And they didn't return fire as it was safer to stay in the car. They'd have a death wise getting out if the cars were under that much sustained fire - and one did and nearly died

Bulletproof cars that absorbed the damage in the bodywork. And they didn't return fire as it was safer to stay in the car. They'd have a death wise getting out if the cars were under that much sustained fire - and one did and nearly died
    I suppose that kind of makes sense, but I think there were 4 cars, the two at the back weren't involved in collision and didn't seem under fire hardly at all etc ...just seemed a bit odd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement