Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

obviously they're protected by corrupt police but it's surprising that AC12 take no notice of them.
    I was also wondering this back in season 2 but totally forgot about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There'll have to be at least one spinoff so.

'Hould Your Whisht", about Ted's early years in the Garda Siochana...be an Irish version of Life on Mars...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

'Hould Your Whisht", about Ted's early years in the Garda Siochana...be an Irish version of Life on Mars...

Sign me up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Trex.

I'm up to episode 3 ATM but finding it a bit turgid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MfMan

How were AC-12 able to read and track Jo's conversations on the laptop with Unknown? She was using crypto software. Did she leave her password on a post-it under the keyboard?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

MfMan wrote: »
    How were AC-12 able to read and track Jo's conversations on the laptop with Unknown? She was using crypto software. Did she leave her password on a post-it under the keyboard?
    Was wondering that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Rewatching last Sunday’s episode now. What if Jo is in league with our trio - on the side of the angels - as she knows that this is her one and only chance to break from her past, as staying in thrall to them means that she’ll be killed or forced to send someone else to their death. So she’s going all in, pretending to the OCG that she’s still their minion, but is on the side of good.

Can’t quite explain why that occurred to me on the 2nd watching of it - something about the conversation with Jo, and I think she said sorry to Kate or was it Steve when they were arrested, and the questions that she wasn’t prepared to answer.

Probably nothing in it! But now I’ll have to watch it again to see how the episode plays if I approach it with that ‘theory’ in the back of my mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Thought Ted was gonna have a heart attack in that scene where he crumpled up in I think the lift.

He was echoing the audience when he had a mini meltdown after the Spanish raid, and asked, nearly sobbing, "How much more can a man take?" He's unravelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

Forgot about that!
    Yeah, and I would imagine the messages on something like that wouldn't hang around too long either - I mean, a spotty teenager's phone with snapchat can do that.
    the more I think about it the more episode 6 is ruining the show for me/annoying me :(

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,799 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Re those psycho wardens in the women's prison - poured boiling water on Lindsay, put faeces in her food... wasn't there an attack on her in the gym with a piece of equipment too?

Then breaking Farida's wrist... obviously they're protected by corrupt police but it's surprising that AC12 take no notice of them.

AC-12 would have no juristiction in Prisons

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Bootable password cracker disc, the brother got me one years ago still works perfectly. It doesn't tell you the password the person is using, it allows you to overwrite it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Bootable password cracker disc, the brother got me one years ago still works perfectly. It doesn't tell you the password the person is using, it allows you to overwrite it.

Yeah I'm fairly certain a cyber crime expert can get into Jo's laptop fairly easily, it's not like she's portrayed as a tech whizz or anything like that

Edit: while things like Snapchat's deletion of messages exist so they can't be viewed on the app itself the metadata for all of the messages are retained - unless she professionally wiped the laptop (like Ted did with his) anything that was on it can be retrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Terence Rattigan

I havent thought this through, but did Kate flee the scene of the shooting because she was afraid that whoever showed up might be corrupt cops and clean up the scene by taking them both out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yeah I'm fairly certain a cyber crime expert can get into Jo's laptop fairly easily, it's not like she's portrayed as a tech whizz or anything like that.

From someone who works in that field...

That laptop would have been provided by the OCG, the group are portrayed as technically proficient so they wont be effing around.

I would expect the laptop to be encrypted (full disk encryption) - while not impossible to crack it (it is highly unlikely though), it would require a lot of time and significant resources, definately not something you'd do in an hour or two.

Even if it wasn't encrypted, it would still be difficult to crack the logon password, again, this would take a considerable amount of time and effort.

Then we have the messaging platform itself, same as above, considerable time and effort.

Not an easy feat at all...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Hollyworth wrote: »
    The kind of drugs Mercurio seems to be on this series, I wouldn't be surprised if the 4th man turns out to be Vince McMahon.
    Mmmmm.....you could be on to something.....

"Vince McMahon"

Real Name "Vincent Kennedy Mcmahon"...

Which is an anagram of.....

"H My Naked Conmen Vincent"
    Hollyworth wrote: »
    "It's me, Hastings. It was me all along, Hastings."
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Final scene

6e960fbeebbe33e9-600x338.gif

/fade to black

/credits roll to silence Sopranos style

The BBC announce the next day that they're paying for Mercurio's DMT rehab and that the show is over

No chance in hell of any of this happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Keyzer wrote: »

That laptop would have been provided by the OCG, the group are portrayed as technically proficient so they wont be effing around.

I would expect the laptop to be encrypted (full disk encryption) - while not impossible to crack it (it is highly unlikely though), it would require a lot of time and significant resources, definately not something you'd do in an hour or two.

Even if it wasn't encrypted, it would still be difficult to crack the logon password, again, this would take a considerable amount of time and effort.

Then we have the messaging platform itself, same as above, considerable time and effort.

Didn't the FBI have to beg Apple to unlock an iPhone for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

every time we seen her use the laptop she just opened it up and starting typing in the chat window. the previous chat was always there as well. full disk encryption is no good if you leave a laptop permanently logged in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MfMan

every time we seen her use the laptop she just opened it up and starting typing in the chat window. the previous chat was always there as well. full disk encryption is no good if you leave a laptop permanently logged in.

Even if you do, as Keyser mentioned, the Crypto app would still be further encrypted, probably time-out after a while through inactivity and may have multi-factor authentication set up. Definitely not something that can be overcome with a bootable USB key.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Didn't the FBI have to beg Apple to unlock an iPhone for them?

Yep...

I'm just saying... if she leaves the laptop on 24 hours a day and its not password protected, then no effort required.

This is an entirely unbelievable scenario for me though, she's a serving senior police officer who would be well used to locking her screen in work (for security and privacy purposes) - locking the screen would be second nature to her, or at least should be.

Additionally, I don't know anyone who leaves a laptop on 24 hours a day without a screen lock. Even when you're a serving senior police officer in collusion with a criminal organisation and said laptop, if found by the police, would serve as incriminating evidence.

Anyway, its a tv show so the writers can do what they want.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

A lot of over analysis and overthinking going here on I reckon.

p.s. Osborne is bent, and so is Carmichael. Steve is whacked out on wowee sauce, Ted is conflicted by the search for H, and inventing new Tedisms for his retirement booze up. Kate and Jo are quietly in love. Jimmy Nebitt's wig is H.

• Advertisement

Yep...

I'm just saying... if she leaves the laptop on 24 hours a day and its not password protected, then no effort required.

This is an entirely unbelievable scenario for me though, she's a serving senior police officer who would be well used to locking her screen in work (for security and privacy purposes) - locking the screen would be second nature to her, or at least should be.

Additionally, I don't know anyone who leaves a laptop on 24 hours a day without a screen lock. Even when you're a serving senior police officer in collusion with a criminal organisation and said laptop, if found by the police, would serve as incriminating evidence.

Anyway, its a tv show so the writers can do what they want.

in terms of the real world you are, of course, correct. but as you say this is a tv show and the realities of IT and cybersecurity don't make for interesting TV.

in terms of the real world you are, of course, correct. but as you say this is a tv show and the realities of IT and cybersecurity don't make for interesting TV.

True... but given the level of detail with respect to portraying police accurately, its a bit lazy to cut corners just to support the narrative.

Would have been cool to see them in a race against time trying to crack the laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭buswankers

sydthebeat wrote: »
    AC-12 would have no juristiction in Prisons

But they're still police no? and the female staff in the prison are clearly breaking the law by breaking bones and pouring boiling water etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gilly1910

Piehead wrote: »
    This is utter nonsense. Full of plot holes. It’s so poorly written real case of emperor’s clothes here. It’s tied itself in knots like Lost. Pure dung. It’s stinks

Much like your analysis really!!

buswankers wrote: »
    But they're still police no? and the female staff in the prison are clearly breaking the law by breaking bones and pouring boiling water etc...?

they only investigate crimes committed by the police.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Jo's interview was kind of curious. She mostly "no comments" everything except to admit that she framed Jatri and Buckells. She's finished as a police officer but she was trying to help Kate on the Gail Vella murder so what's her motivation to keep schtum on the OCG?

I wonder if her mother's suicide was faked to get away from Tommy Hunter and if Jo is still somehow protecting her. It might explain the wine glass thrown at the picture in the first episode. Quite how it ties together I'm not sure but Jo obviously has no love or loyalty for the OCG and was working under duress but simple self-preservation is not her only motive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

True... but given the level of detail with respect to portraying police accurately, its a bit lazy to cut corners just to support the narrative.

Would have been cool to see them in a race against time trying to crack the laptop.
    There's very little accurate in the portrayal of police either!

This is turning into a fantasy series at this stage.

Still hugely entertaining, don't get me wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,283 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Definately.... It's you isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Following on from the Chris Lomax being bent theory, the red lion and the mugshot photos.

How about this for a theory...
    Lomax is one of the 5 who killed Lawrence Christopher.
    Further not only is he one of the 5, he is actually Darren Hunter!

As part of the fallout from the Christopher case, those 5 were given new identities.
    Lomax's "new" identity and the position of Dot in AC9 and witness protection allowed for Lomax/Hunter to join the police without raising flags.
    His clean sheet was used to gain Tommy another bent copper.
    Now Lomax is also working to subvert the Vela investigation and keep the OCG in control.

I do think Osborne is the bent senior copper tho, it ties so nicely back to season 1 aswell.

Advertisement