Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

The only thing I disliked about this episode was Kate's motivations during the first 20 minutes. It makes no sense. But that isn't enough to ruin the episode or the season for me.

The only way those scenes would come to make sense was if it was revealed that Kate is working undercover for someone. Which team, I don't know. But working undercover, and trying to utilise that time with Jo to get more information from her. Otherwise, no one in their right mind would go on the run with someone who just tried to lure them to their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That's completely over the top, but each to their own

For me, I haven't looked forward to a TV episode as much as this Sunday's since the Breaking Bad finale. We're getting big answers and it might just be the last ever LOD

I say "might" in that I'm probably 70% sure there'll be another season, but 30% of me thinks this Sunday is the show's last dance

I was wondering would this be a change in LoD, in that the OCG are currently about open violence and ‘old school’ stuff, and S6 will end with Ted retiring (hopefully nothing worse!), and the OCG being smashed - with or without H having been caught.

And then S7 could be about cyber crime - the same themes of intimidation and bent coppers could work for that, but with our trio reduced to two, or maybe Chloe getting elevated as a junior member of the trio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

qwerty13 wrote: »
    I’m not convinced that the photo in Jo’s flat was her mother, given that she said “no comment” when asked about it, but talked about her mother later on.

It feels a very Jed thing to do though, to hide a major clue in what seems like a scene that didn’t advance the storyline, where the conversation could be interpreted differently depending on who is really a goodie, a baddie or who they are in league with. So I’m probably talking boll*x :)
    I thought the 'No comment' responses with regards to her mother's photograph was Mercurio's way of giving the audience a clue as to what to pay attention to later in the interview. Rather than affirm what AC-12 knew/suspected she would say 'No comment'. In doing so she wasn't technically revealing anything so she couldn't be considered to be a rat.
    Image 17 is a crime-scene photograph captured during the search of Apartment G, 9 Croxford Street. Who is seen in Image 17?

No comment.

Document 22 is a scan of Samantha Davidson's passport. The person seen in Image 17 is Samantha Davidson, correct?

No comment.
    AC-12 already knew the photograph was of Jo's mother. 'No comment' baseline established.
    One such high-ranking figure, once erroneously code-named H, we now refer to as the Fourth Man - is he running the show?

No comment.

Are you taking your orders from him? Who is the Fourth Man?

I don't know.
    She didn't say 'No comment'. :eek:

Did you plant evidence against Farida Jatri?

No comment.
    Moments later she admitted to planting the burner phones to frame Farida.
    To the best of your knowledge, was Terry Boyle involved in the murder of Gail Vella?

No, he was not.

To the best of your knowledge, was Carl Banks involved in the murder of Gail Vella?

No comment.
    Safe to say Jo thought that Carl Banks was involved.
    Did you know Gail Vella was looking into the Lawrence Christopher murder?

No.
    A denial.
    The initial inquiry into Lawrence Christopher's murder was led by DCI Marcus Thurwell. Do you know that name?

No comment.

On screen, Image 75. Who is shown in Image 75?

No comment.

Image 77 shows Marcus Thurwell. What's your relationship to Marcus Thurwell?

No comment.
    No denial of knowing Thurwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,916 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I was wondering what options were available to Irish residents if they miss an episode acutally the other day.

I use the UK players for all my catch up.
    I use smartdns on a local tunnel to direct my media streamers to the "UK".

I cannot countenance RTEplayer, it's an abomination once you've used anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    We're getting big answers and it might just be the last ever LOD

I say "might" in that I'm probably 70% sure there'll be another season, but 30% of me thinks this Sunday is the show's last dance
    If it is to be the last then it has to be Carmichael and Osbourne, if not then there'll be another season. I know there's a lot of theories on here but none of them add up from what we've seen. If there's some big twist or revelation about a minor character well then that's just bad writing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭Talisman

p.s. Osborne is bent, and so is Carmichael.
    I think Carmichael knows Osborne is the top man that AC-12 is after but for her own career she wants to be the one who takes him down. She's playing a long game, doing what Osborne asks of her, while seemingly thwarting the AC-12 investigation. By actively instructing Carmichael he is providing her with evidence to be used against him at a later date.

The surveillance on Jo and Ryan happened to get pulled hours before Kate was to meet them in a dimly lit area.

The tracking device on Steve's personal vehicle is a reference back to the ambush in series 2. Denton found the tracking device on her own car and transferred it to the car that had been carrying Tommy Hunter.

There are a few strings to the investigation that AC-12 have yet to follow up on. For instance, they know that Lisa McQueen lied when questioned about John Corbett's death.
    Who inflicted the fatal knife wound that caused John Corbett to bleed to death?

He's dead now too. Miroslav Minkowicz.
    That should see her kicked out of the witness protection programme and go into prison where Denton's tormentors can get to her.

I can't see it all being wrapped up in a single episode.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Louis Friend

So who is ‘H’?

- Buckles in a ‘Keyser Soze’ moment?
    - Ted Hastings?
    - Osborne?
    - Carmichael?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

So who is ‘H’?

Pasting from a previous post I did and updating my thoughts in red:

I can't see how the Main H reveal will be anything but disappointing no matter what Jed comes out with. He's kinda painted himself into a corner with this

The fans of the show (us) are so passionate about it, that we've looked at every person possible

Let's look at the candidates

- Any of The Main 3: nah I can't see them able to pull this off without ruining the show. And the only one of the three who really could be H is Ted, who we love

Update: I've since read that Mercurio has said
    none of the Main 3 are H

Tommy Hunter is still alive and is H? Nah, too mental

Osbourne - once my fav pick to be H, now I think it'll be a let down if he is

Update: feck it, if it's Osbourne it would bring the show to a nice circled close

Marcus Thurwell (James Nesbitt) - he's not long enough on the show for us to care

Ones that will be completely "meh? is that it?":
    • Rohan Sindwhani
    • Carmichael
    • Andrea Wise
    • DCI Mark Moffatt (the guy who gave Ted the 100 grand and tried to frame him)
    • Gill Biggeloe
    Other possibilities:
    • It's a character not yet seen
    • "H" = Hillside
    • "H" is the training academy Ryan and more were at
    • "H" is the maiden name of a female character we know well
    Curveballs:
    • Nick Huntley from Season 4 (purely a candidate because he was a bad guy and his surname begins with "H")
    • Update: The guest on this week's Obsessed With podcast thinks it's Steff/Scouse Ma (wow. just wow lol)
    • Nigel Morton (Neil Morrissey) - I don't think he is though based on his character and also (podcast mild spoilers) Spoiler:
      Morrissey has said on the official podcast that he's not in this season. Unless he's spoofing
    • Lisa McQueen - I don't think we've seen the last of her, but I believe she's deep undercover and not H (PS - if she's in any upcoming previews etc please don't spoil it here)
    • Update: Buckells as a Kayser Soze type character doesn't work for me. If he's H then why did Banks kill Lakewell on front of him as a warning?

The outright mental choice/put Mercurio in the funny farm: Ted's wife

I think that's everyone?! pacman.gif

TLDR: Make it Osbourne

Even though it won't surprise us, it'll bookend the show very, very nicely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Dexter is "H"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I bet the curve ball is there is no "H" - as in its not an individual...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I think Mercurio is steering people away from the letter 'H' with Hastings talking so much about 'the fourth man' in the last episode. I think it's probably Osbourne. Seems obvious but then Hunter was pretty obvious as Jo's father/uncle as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

I think a good curveball is that Carmichael is actually gathering higher level evidence against Osbourne and doesn't want Hastings tipping off Jo on how much her or AC-12 know, she might be even closer to getting Osbourne than AC-12 are. The wicked witch turns out to be the fairy godmother?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

H/4th man is obviously Steve's old girlfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

On the Jo and Kate on the run mystery, Kate has had issues with Hastings for a while. There’s a moment where she mentions Steve has told her something terrible about the gaffer. I believe Kate has suspicions Ted is H, she has previous form for going to a woman heading up another AC unit to carry on investigations as she “couldn’t be a mason”.

I reckon she’s gone to Carmichael with the Ted info, as has been said Carmichael is a jobsworth, she wants to please Osborne, pinning it on Ted is ideal. Pulling the surveillance gives Kate a chance to pump Jo for information, but Carmichael is afraid of letting her get too far out of sight so has the trackers in place.

Kate trusts Jo enough, she has some genuine affection for her and wants to use her information to bring down the whole OCG operation. It’s the best opportunity they’ve had. Jo is showing her loyalty by making it look like she shot Ryan (most disappointing exit from the show ever by the way), not sure why they feel the need to pin the shooting on Jo, but maybe it just frees Kate quicker to get back to the investigation and to work on whatever further information was shared in the car.

Looking forward to the finale. Having rewatched as far as season 4 it makes most sense to wrap it up with Osbourne as a single H or Hillside as the source of all the OCG leaks. There is a heap of stuff that puts Ted in the frame though and Buckles is a constant so the theory that he’s playing dumb is a possible (golf clubs in the boot a nice tie back to Tommy and the Caddie).

I think Chloe could well be Gates daughter. His eldest was older than Ryan in series one. Steve and Ted feel a bit guilty about how things ended, but don’t forget Gates was effectively cleared of everything and officially died a hero in the line of duty so every chance his daughter wanted to follow that path and Steve and Ted wanted to help her along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,137 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hollyworth wrote: »

Jolly Roger ? :)

https://lineofduty.fandom.com/wiki/Nicola_Rogerson

Could Kate be working undercover for Carmichael?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I think Chloe could well be Gates daughter. His eldest was older than Ryan in series one. Steve and Ted feel a bit guilty about how things ended, but don’t forget Gates was effectively cleared of everything and officially died a hero in the line of duty so every chance his daughter wanted to follow that path and Steve and Ted wanted to help her along.

Chloe was the younger one, for definite, I watched S1 with an eye on this recently, I don't think it works - Chloe Bishop is mid 20s at least, Gates' daughter Chloe was under 10 in S1 I'd say, although she was in the same school as the older one, I don't know how paid schools work in the UK, but 9/10 year olds don't attend the same schools as older kids here in Ireland - there were no children obviously older than the older daughter in any scene, so she could be in the equivalent of 6th class, and the younger be in 4th or 5th class equivalent.

I just don't think credibility could be stretched so much as to make people believe that

a. Chloe Bishop is somewhere in the 18-22 age bracket. The actor herself is 26.

b. She'd have made it up the police ranks to AC12 by that age. If she has then it's probably something dodgy, do we think Chloe Bishop is bent?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

No, the Asian one. Can't remember her name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can it be someone from within AC-12? They only get involved afterwards when there are signs of corruption. It seems that the OCG's are getting main police investigations altered or steered away down certain paths.
    That would be more align with someone within the 'main' police field and probably at a high level. So, based on that I think H is your doll up in the fancy wooden office. DCC isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I don't know how paid schools work in the UK, but 9/10 year olds don't attend the same schools as older kids here in Ireland

I went to a CBS in Dublin that had 1st class up to 6th year.

And also went to a private school that did infants up to 6th year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭passinginterest

Chloe was the younger one, for definite, I watched S1 with an eye on this recently, I don't think it works - Chloe Bishop is mid 20s at least, Gates' daughter Chloe was under 10 in S1 I'd say, although she was in the same school as the older one, I don't know how paid schools work in the UK, but 9/10 year olds don't attend the same schools as older kids here in Ireland - there were no children obviously older than the older daughter in any scene, so she could be in the equivalent of 6th class, and the younger be in 4th or 5th class equivalent.

I just don't think credibility could be stretched so much as to make people believe that

a. Chloe Bishop is somewhere in the 18-22 age bracket. The actor herself is 26.

b. She'd have made it up the police ranks to AC12 by that age. If she has then it's probably something dodgy, do we think Chloe Bishop is bent?

Had a bit of a look into it and she’s an entry level detective, police training in the UK is only 18-22 weeks classroom. If she joined at 18 straight from school and she has Steve and Ted looking out for her it’s very possibly she’s made it to AC-12 at 21-22. Don’t think she’s bent, I think the reveal in her character arc is that she’s Gates daughter and she could be a main character if it continues for another series and one of Steve or Kate is gone. It’s not crucial to the plot or anything, but the way everything seems to be linking back to series one, it’s a nice little tie in.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭magic17

Absolute nonsense no doubt but I like the theory that H is Hastings but not for the reasons we would have thought. He's so intent on catching bent coppers that he created this H character to out the bent coppers in the force. Osborne is the last big fish he's after which is why he's pushing so hard this season. It doesn't all add up of course and there's a lot of holes in it. He's left a trail of destruction but perhaps he lost control maybe as a result of his marriage trouble? We still don't have an explanation for the laptop he got rid of. Then you have things like the spelling mistake, the guilt for getting Corbett killed etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,302 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/line-of-duty-who-is-h-720895

And still no one considering Wise....

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Bootable password cracker disc, the brother got me one years ago still works perfectly. It doesn't tell you the password the person is using, it allows you to overwrite it.

Doesn’t work on encrypted hard drives, such as where Bitlocker is enabled which seems to be the default these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    I think a good curveball is that Carmichael is actually gathering higher level evidence against Osbourne and doesn't want Hastings tipping off Jo on how much her or AC-12 know, she might be even closer to getting Osbourne than AC-12 are. The wicked witch turns out to be the fairy godmother?

That's my theory too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MfMan

This bent coppers thing is becoming an epidemic;

https://www.rte.ie/news/crime/2021/0429/1212787-corruption/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Re H......

It's a possibility that Dot could've been just trying to say "Hi".

Alternatively, he may not have had a clue what Kate was saying nor what he was doing himself, considering he was 10 seconds from death.

I reached a point back in Season 4 where I decided to stop trying to figure things out and just enjoy the ride.

Hollyworth wrote: »

Whatever gets her back on the show

4966532-6266497-Standout_Aiysha_Hart_who_stars_as_Polaire_in_the_movie_went_for_-a-28_1539289470104.jpg

aisha-hart-facts_3604_6_deepfake.jpg

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

This is great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

I've given up speculating also and just enjoying it as the well-made ridiculousness that it is. You have to just accept that one of them can have a hunch and then go full steam ahead based on that. The idea that Kate would be straight back to work after being chased down as a suspect in a shooting....

Advertisement