Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭almostover

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Nah mate, I'm not having it.

Buckells.....no.

OCG lads that shoot anything that moves with automatic weapons..... but they decided to lay down on the ground instead.

So much expectation but I'm totally disappointed having expected a 'boom' episode but got one closer to 'bust'.

That scene was such horse manure. Steve has his firearms licence revoked and immediately takes on a criminal gang armed with automatic weapons and subdued them at point blank range with a taser without a single shot being fired. Mother of god who let that scene be recorded. It was like something from the A-team. All it was missing was Ted stating 'I love it when a plan comes together', while puffing on a cigar!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭davetherave

I'm assuming the outrage is that people wanted it to be Osbourne was H, he was caught and the OCG empire eliminated?

If that is the last episode, then maybe the message is that no matter how much of a good, moral, and ethical person you are, the whole system is corrupt and there is nothing you can do about it. The system will protect the system. Carmichael didn't seem to concerned about Teds statement because she doesn't want to hear or deal with any corruption, be it organised crime or Ted Hastings.

The whole "Systematic restructuring of Anti Corruption units continues with close colleagues of the Chief Constable appointed to senior positions."

jojofizzio wrote: »
    The retriever brings it up to 5.....definitely a 1 otherwise:D

The redhead helped as well. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭appledrop

Don't think I want another season - they've basically said that the charges against Buckells will be dropped so theoretically he'll be back at work soon enough

Carmichael is a puppet who will thwart any attempt at reopening the investigation on an official level

Unless our three intrepid heroes go totally off book with a private investigation but that would make a sham of the show and take it in a completely preposterous direction altogether

I think this really is the end, and it's a shame because it's gone out with a whimper

Yea I agree don't see anyway back.

A crap way to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

In hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, they should have stuck with a "suspect of the season" format because it's obvious that Jed doesn't have the ability to do a satisfactory, long running plotline

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

appledrop wrote: »
    Yea I agree don't see anyway back.

A crap way to finish.

It was Game of Throne'd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Nah mate, I'm not having it.

Buckells.....no.

OCG lads that shoot anything that moves with automatic weapons..... but they decided to lay down on the ground instead.
    Which makes me believe there'll be another season. That interview looked like it ended prematurely just when it was starting to get interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,025 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In hindsight, which is a wonderful thing, they should have stuck with a "suspect of the season" format because it's obvious that Jed doesn't have the ability to do a satisfactory, long running plotline
    That's exactly it..

.. 'H' was never going to be a shocking revelation!

Everyone, and their wee donkey, was suspected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Osbourne was the obvious choice to be the Forth Man but Jed decided to have a twist with Buckles despite not making much sense. Classic example of an obvious plot being more satisfying than an unnecessary twist if the obvious plot is done right.

Osborne wasnt really in the show bar tv clips and references to him , would have been difficult to bring him into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

Usually i think that some of the comments are a bit extreme when people complain about "bad" episodes.

But in this case everything i've seen is pretty much justified.

I mean, it was just a whimper of a finale; especially, as others have said, when you consider the quality of previous finales. Dot escaping, Gil texting "Urgent Exit Required," Ted shooting the fella with the hostage in the head without a moments hesitation.

This had nothing like that. Even the one scene where there could have been a shootout with the OCG was pretty poor.

And the thing is, the 5th episode was really good. One really would have thought that we were in for 2 rip-roaring final episodes but they were anything but.

It doesn't really have any redeeming features IMO, barring maybe yes Adrian Dunbar's performance. If there is another series though i'm not sure how he fits in. Surely his appeal would not be successful seeing as Carmichael knows what happened with Corbett. What it felt like was Murcurio making sure that he went out with his head held high - not a bent copper, redeemed in a way.

Buckles was an interesting choice. if he did a 360 and proved himself a criminal mastermind, but he didn't.

I'd bet heavily that there is a 7th series. I'll definately watch it but they really need to sort themselves out after this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

That was fecking awful.
    I don't think it could have been worse. The action scenes this series were shíte and it all lacked the vibrancy of the early series.
    Dot was by far the best story line.

How the feck did they watch that and think it was okay to put out?
    I don't really want another series as the are ripping the ârse out of it now.

Unless Jed watched No Country for old men before devising the outline for series 6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,388 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Degag wrote: »
    Usually i think that some of the comments are a bit extreme when people complain about "bad" episodes.

I mean, it was just a whimper of a finale; especially, as others have said, when you consider the quality of previous finales. Dot escaping, Gil texting "Urgent Exit Required," Ted shooting the fella with the hostage in the head without a moments hesitation.

This had nothing like that. Even the one scene where there could have been a shootout with the OCG was pretty poor.

And the thing is, the 5th episode was really good. One really would have thought that we were in for 2 rip-roaring final episodes but they were anything but.

It doesn't really have any redeeming features IMO, barring maybe yes Adrian Dunbar's performance. If there is another series though i'm not sure how he fits in. Surely his appeal would not be successful seeing as Carmichael knows what happened with Corbett. What it felt like was Murcurio making sure that he went out with his head held high - not a bent copper, redeemed in a way.

Buckles was an interesting choice. if he did a 360 and proved himself a criminal mastermind, but he didn't.

I'd bet heavily that there is a 7th series. I'll definately watch it but they really need to sort themselves out after this.

Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Remember the lad who plays Buckells will now be on the main breakfast TV shows of both the BBC and ITV tomorrow

And it's meant to be a big deal :pac:

This actor was woeful throughout. Why should anyone care?

Osbourne/Main H/Owen Teale doing the PR rounds tomorrow would've given the show gravitas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Not the best season finale after an overall another good season but clearly another 2 seasons remaining, there would have been more 'outrage' had H been revealed tonight and the show finished for good so lesser of two evils for me

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Osborne wasnt really in the show bar tv clips and references to him , would have been difficult to bring him into it

But that's what would have made it brilliant.

We could all tell from clips the arrogance of the man and interview would have been amazing if Jed let it be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭scooby77

Yes was underwhelming, but it answers the question of who "H" is but leaves door wide open for Season 7. To be fair BBC hardly going to unequivocally end show attracting 11 million uk viewers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,447 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The bit with the three of them going down the glass elevator was peak cheese

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭archfi

It was hilarious, a few episodes ago the OCG were perfectly happy to engage in a ferocious shoot-out, this episode they were nullified by a tazer and a bit of shouting.
    Yep.
    Now I know where dopes in real life conclude cops should use tasers etc when directly in immediate danger of death
    TV shows!

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Actual audio from BBC high level meeting, obtained during an illegal search:

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.
    Series six finale, meeting number 73. In attendance are Jed, also BBC Top Brass.
    Top Brass: So, as agreed during meetings 34 to 72 LGBTQI and disability groups happy endings are fully on track and signed off. Can we move on now to plot points 3 to 17 in the remaining 36 minutes before filming is to commence?
    Jed: Definately.

Hmmm....

Go on!

scooby77 wrote: »
    Yes was underwhelming, but it answers the question of who "H" is but leaves door wide open for Season 7. To be fair BBC hardly going to unequivocally end show attracting 11 million uk viewers...

It won't have 11 million viewers if they try another Season after that muck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Jed on the podcast was basically saying that it is Buckells. It might seem like he's not the top man, but that's yet another seed planted by Jed just in case they decide to make a season 7. But for now, it's Buckells. He said he wanted it to be someone that was there from the start. And that although Osbourne has been, he hasn't been in it enough for the audience to care. As was discussed at length in this thread too.

Ohmeha wrote: »
    Not the best season finale after an overall another good season but clearly another 2 seasons remaining, there would have been more 'outrage' had H been revealed tonight and the show finished for good so lesser of two evils for me

I disagree, if the series ended with a fantastic episode but there was no more it would be more accepted than a terrible episode than led to further sub-par series'

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Possibly intentional, it makes him out to be untouchable.

Fairly depressing ending, they basically never had a chance of bringing "H" down, whole system is too far gone. Hastings leaves his own misdeeds on a plate for Carmichael knowing she might do nothing about it because of the system she works in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think the complete absence of an explosive, shocking moment was a bigger twist than anyone expected? The lack of a twist IS the twist? Also it's a show about corruption and power and the failings of institutions. Who says that the "good" guys were ever going to win? Considering all of the social commentary throughout the show, it's apt to highlight it in such a manner?

Don't get me wrong, my reaction was pretty much: "F*cking Buckles!!!!". But it was either him or Osbourne realistically, and at best Osbourne is guilty of neglecting his duty over the course of his career, and at worst is rotten!

In terms of plot, what is most intriguing at this point is what would Carmichael do with her newfound information? That's genuinely interesting and worth exploring

I guess what I'm saying is that I hate it less than I did an hour ago :pac:

Plus hopefully we'll find out soon if it's the actual end or not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Degag wrote: »

Exact same here. There can be right moany-holes picking every little thing apart, but this was terribly disappointing. Down to just an hour-long series finale when there were feature-length specials for previous, less critical series.

I think they're messing with us - surely they too know that this is crap. Buckles is not H ffs - he was taking orders. Whoever from - that's H. A series seven is needed to confirm who it is. They keep referring to the person in question as a man too - no reason why they can't be a woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭banie01

There's probably some "deeper" meaning, that the appearance of incompetence can mask corruption.
    That Jed believes his framing of Buckles as the 4th man, is really highlighting the useful idiot that others make use of in the grander scheme of corruption.

Thinking that it's a timely nod to the current UK situation where competence seems to be a bar to high office ;)

But FFS it was a mess, clearly buckles isn't H.
    Who forged the signatures on the production order when he was in prison for 1 thing?
    There are so many holes, it's a mess.
    A hamfisted attempt at political allegory that made season 8 of GoT look like world class TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Honestly can't see whats left for a series 7. Credibility has been stretched to the limit. Ted is dodgy, revealing a mole, giving away cash, but he's not "H". Neither is Kate or Steve and it would be laughable if they are. Does anyone really care about anyone else being "H"? More a case of dodgy, lazy police officers than criminal masterminds. Nowhere else to go with LOD so best to wrap it up.

They keep referring to the person in question as a man too - no reason why they can't be a woman.

Was sure when they kept referring to "He" that it was going to be Wise or Carmichael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

appledrop wrote: »
    But that's what would have made it brilliant.

We could all tell from clips the arrogance of the man and interview would have been amazing if Jed let it be.

i kept thinking of our own former commissioner Martin Calinan whenever he spoke

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,925 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

scooby77 wrote: »

Does it answer who H is??? Buckles said he was just pulling things together - the message was clearly that someone higher up promoted him to have power - surely that is the real H.

Advertisement