Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

gXvgkRk.jpg

9g3pjc9kruw61.png

Agree with some of this, except Season 5 is miles above Seasons 4 and 6

I'd actually rate this Season the weakest

In order of best to weakest seasons I'd go:

2 and 3 - My joint favs, just incredible TV

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

The idea that Ted is H is laughable at best

This season started with Steve telling Chloe that the boss will never let it go

If Ted was H then why on Earth would he be constantly pushing for an investigation into institutional corruption?

Surely he'd happily let it fade off into the ether?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Now...to re-watch all of LoD or to start Unforgotten?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Here is a tweet from Jed today basically saying he knew the ending wouldn't satisfy everyone, which is fair enough. It is impossible to satisfy everyone. I just would have preferred if he didn't spend the whole season leading us in one direction (a single big villain left to take down) only to lead us in a totally different direction at the very end, and ultimately leaving our heroes with only half a win.

https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1389277507162148871?s=20

Anyway, I've done enough reading and thinking about LOD in the last 24 hours. It was a disappointment for me and many others and there were a few alternative paths he could have chosen that would have been much more satisfying and entertaining but may not have the "real nature of corruption" angle he decided to go with, but at least it would have been great TV. Anyway, time to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Definitely start Unforgotten!

Not as flashy as LOD, but still bloody brilliant.

Definitely start Unforgotten!

Not as flashy as LOD, but still bloody brilliant.

Plus the writer of Unforgotten actually has a clue how to wrap up storylines

It's an incredible show. Watch it without reading anything about or even Google-ing it

There's a huge, jaw dropping moment in Season 4 that you need to avoid knowledge of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭golfball37

Just watched it now haven’t not heard a thing about it. I enjoyed it, left it up the viewer to decide whether it stopped at Buckles or went higher. In real life you don’t always get closure or things spelled out to you, bad people often get away with things too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ShineOn7 wrote: »

It's an incredible show. Watch it without reading anything about or even Google-ing it

There's a huge, jaw dropping moment in Season 4 that you need to avoid knowledge of

I'd never heard of it until recently, on this thread. I don't have TV channels so hadn't seen any ads.

I'd say I could safely avoid any major spoilers.

golfball37 wrote: »
    In real life

Mercurio's writing right upto the final episode was as "suspension of disbelief" as TV gets

Then he wants the show to be "realistic" so he can get his political views off his chest

I'm approaching levels of Dexter finale disgust with this tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I'd pretty much agree with that graph above. 5 was my least favourite and I quite enjoyed this one apart from the last episode let down. It felt like an episode 5 of 7 or something. Just unfinished. Surely there is at least one more season. I think this is why I'm not so down about it. It seems obvious there is more but the tweets from Mercurio and the actors thanking everyone for watching seems a bit final.

If it is the end, then it's a disappointing way to end it. Not GOT levels of disappointment but just a waste.

But ... he's not H though

He's the 4th Man and Ted cleared this up numerous times. There was no H

So why is it being retro-fitted as him being H by everyone from the actors to TV stations who are interviewing Nigel Boyle?

https://twitter.com/Villaboycey/status/1388962219468148751

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

golfball37 wrote: »
    Just watched it now haven’t not heard a thing about it. I enjoyed it, left it up the viewer to decide whether it stopped at Buckles or went higher. In real life you don’t always get closure or things spelled out to you, bad people often get away with things too.

We have newspapers and Crimecall for that. This is supposed to be drama and entertainment.

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    We have newspapers and Crimecall for that. This is supposed to be drama and entertainment.

100%

Mercurio has switched on Titter replies

People, overall, aren't happy bunnies

https://twitter.com/gamer27832/status/1389290314960080898

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,144 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Terrible conclusion to a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

If I'm honest, I think that season 4 was probably the last high quality season. It's just been over promising and under delivering since.

Fully agree. I really loved the first few seasons and recommended it it anyone and everyone but I didn’t love season 5 and season 6 while it was an improvement - in my opinion - it overall wasn’t the same calibre of the earlier ones. Feel like it’s jumped the shark and I’m perfectly happy to leave it at that, regardless if there’s another season or not (although very much the impression I’m getting from cast/crew etc is that that’s the end).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭trashcan

100%

https://twitter.com/gamer27832/status/1389290314960080898

I think it’s fair to say that peoples problem isn’t that the ending sought to show the real nature of corruption. It’s the weak, implausible storytelling.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

A little disappointing that it was Buckles (talk about failing upwards) but it's nothing like 'Dexter' bad for a series finale (which it might try and salvage).

Room for a new series as a potential spin off with Carmichael in charge of a re-branded AC-12.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

Unforgotten is not finished, it will have a new series next year......

salmocab wrote: »
    Leaving aside the anger over this where do people think the story is? Over as in wrapped up with Buckles as H or at least the latest H. I think it’s still a bit open, Buckles smirk at the end, Ted confessing to Carmichael about giving the information, is he testing her, is there more to play out. I really don’t know but I suspect it’s going to go again next year. Ted announced he’s pushing back against his retirement and things like that need to be tied up. I think the H thing isn’t actually sorted yet. That all said as I posted earlier I feel the writers didn’t really know where it was going to be themselves and managed to give an odd ending that doesn’t clear too much up.

I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago that Jed wrote this season unsure if there would be a season 7 (unsure if that was BBC related or just would he himself want to write a 7th) so I think this finale is meant to be both......
    If it ends there, the message is that there will always be a H and it doesn’t matter how hard Ted/AC-12 fight their work will never be acknowledged.
    Or if they continue there’s the possibility to explore more perhaps in the direction of Osbourne - the summary scene at the end where it indicated that Osbourne was putting all his mates in charge of anti-corruption leaves it open to a complete takedown....

I took Teds confession as a bit of a “getting the weight off my shoulders” / I challenge you to do the right thing, kinda crossroads. I actually thought that scene was really very good. There was just SO much to it.
    I feel like while Carmichael may not have much professional respect for Hastings, she believed him to be a good man so I feel like she wasn’t overly keen on having to go after him but Ted pretty much told her she had to do it to prove her herself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

100%

In future for Mercurio it'll be a case of

103465305_frankie-howerd-titter-ye-not-unofficial-tribute-cult-tv-.jpg

In future for Mercurio it'll be a case of

103465305_frankie-howerd-titter-ye-not-unofficial-tribute-cult-tv-.jpg

Feck it

I'm leaving it as is ;)

Edited

Not gonna lie............. In my opinion, people who tell people theres a (massive) twist/shock, are the worst kind of people.... I really DON’T understand people who do this, at all. This is on par with actually telling people what happens - even if you kid yourself it’s not.

I’ve had WAY too many movies and shows ruined by people who tell me to expect a twist. The whole point of a twist is it’s unexpected............
    If someone tells me there’s a twist I’m spending the whole time playing out “mad” conclusions and generally end up considering the version that actually ends up happening so the surprise element is gone. :(
    Please, I beg you, for the love of the wee donkey don’t warn people about impending twists..... pleeeeeeeeeeeease......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭raclle

I haven't seen Unforgotten yet so I'll be starting that next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,916 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The ending I was expecting for this show was H being captured and Ted being promoted as a hero and telling the media that there's no room in the police force for bent coppers.

HiGlo wrote: »
    Not gonna lie............. In my opinion, people who tell people theres a (massive) twist/shock, are the worst kind of people.... I really DON’T understand people who do this, at all. This is on par with actually telling people what happens - even if you kid yourself it’s not.

I’ve had WAY too many movies and shows ruined by people who tell me to expect a twist. The whole point of a twist is it’s unexpected............
    If someone tells me there’s a twist I’m spending the whole time playing out “mad” conclusions and generally end up considering the version that actually ends up happening so the surprise element is gone. :(
    Please, I beg you, for the love of the wee donkey don’t warn people about impending twists..... pleeeeeeeeeeeease......

Over-react much? "the worst kind of people"?

I was trying to give the poster a heads up to avoid all Google-ing of Unforgotten

That's all

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Was there any actual new information revealed last night?
    Some things were revealed to the carachters and other things were added up in a way (ctrl-f 'definatly') but was theres anything I know now that I didn't know this time yesterday?

The spelling was known before.
    The senile peado was known before and went nowhere
    Steve's self medication was known before and went nowhere.
    Hastings being the one who touted on Stephen Graham was known before.
    Buckles being bent was kinda known but in a different capacity.
    The mysterious crate was introduced and explained away a lot of things the viewer always knew.

They found the misspelling of definately going back to the Lawrence Christopher murder which I think was when reports were handwritten, before the force used computers. Doesn't explain how nobody thought to search for the misspelling before last night but here we are unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

I had kind of given up on this season so was only watching bits here and there

Was it not already revealed that Buckles was in the OCG when the solicitor was killed in his cell ?

And how was it not a flag to AC12 that he was killed in buckles cell when they were on the lookout for a corrupt cop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Sorry if it's already been answered but

Who faked kates signature on the moving order from prison?

Buckles was in custody.

Suppose either of those angry women prison officers could have.. any better suggestions?

• Advertisement

Sorry if it's already been answered but

Who faked kates signature on the moving order from prison?

Buckles was in custody.

Suppose either of those angry women prison officers could have.. any better suggestions?

I doubt the show runners even viewed it as a loose end

Advertisement