Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

The reveal of Buckles as H/4th man kind of makes sense. AC12 and the viewers thought H was the big boss, but when you think about it... Why? There was no evidence at all that H/4th man was running the show.
    Cottan expressed that there were three other versions of him. That was all. He never said that one of them was the boss of the OCG.

It was just Ted and AC12 jumping to conclusions that this last man was the boss.

So, in a way, the reveal of Buckles fits with the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm happy enough with it being Buckells. But it was the way that the story was told this series that is bothersome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I'm happy enough with it being Buckells. But it was the way that the story was told this series that is bothersome.

Nicely said.

To me it feels like they spent years building up a top class Who-Dunnit type show and then in the last episode they decide to turn it into the Wire.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭ginoginelli

I would have been fine with it being buckles if they had stayed within the basic rule of tv and film that the story ties together.

This didn't. It was obviously just made up as they went along. Its evident by the actor who played buckles, hes like an extra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Nicely said.

To me it feels like they spent years building up a top class Who-Dunnit type show and then in the last episode they decide to turn it into the Wire.

I'm not seeing any connection with The Wire unless I'm missing something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭sporina

Just finished watching this series.. jaysus.. and tbh I didn't like the series as a whole!

And, Buckles??!! ffs.. I was hoping Carmichael was gonna be somehow found guilty.. she's a b**ch - but she does it v well..

Actually loved Hastings in this series.. some great one liners and similes.. "her goose is well and truly cooked" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just rewatching Season 3.

It's actually amazing rewatching it with what we know.

Dot's character really was outstanding.

Dot and Gill together framing Steve.

Why or why did Jed p**s it all away with that ridiculous last episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

I would have been fine with it being buckles if they had stayed within the basic rule of tv and film that the story ties together.

This didn't. It was obviously just made up as they went along. Its evident by the actor who played buckles, hes like an extra.

This is exactly it. The ending wasn’t true to S1 to 5, it wasn’t true to the rest of S6 - hell it wasn’t true to the first half of the episode itself!

All along, LoD has been pretty OTT - but very enjoyable. The interviews were a particular feature, involving cat and mouse, and tension with the accused.

The end of the episode of Sun night felt like a few things:
    - a giant moralistic point being made by Jed M (I actually agree with his politics, but if I wanted BBC Newsnight, that’s what I would have watched)
    - a complete change in tone from the high tension and often high octane scenes (in the end, it just petered out)
    - a plot that in previous series focused very much on specific baddies, and the high drama chase to bring them to justice (E7 just seemed to be ‘oh well, that’s how it is, there is no justice - and while I do get that point, it would have been nice to have at least *some* lead up to that, rather than HHHHHHHH … Chief Constable … corruption is everywhere, explicitly or through incompetence)

I’ve seen comments about how JM is great at the dramatic stuff, but can’t end a series. I think I agree by now. The so called Jed herrings are only fun while the ride lasts - they just feel sloppy and unfinished if there’s no resolution of them. I too feel that there was a change of heart or direction towards the end of S6 - or perhaps the knowledge that they were definitely getting a 7th series). For me, S6 just ended completely half-arsedly, and even if they do a 7th series, I think the magic is broken by now.

I found the endings for Jo and Terry wrapped up in a bow too much. Which contrasted weirdly with everything else just left hanging.

A thumbs down from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

siblers wrote: »
    I'm not seeing any connection with The Wire unless I'm missing something

Jed Mercurio on the finale ""We knew attempting to explore the real nature of corruption in our society wouldn't appeal to everyone......"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Jed Mercurio on the finale ""We knew attempting to explore the real nature of corruption in our society wouldn't appeal to everyone......"

And that would have been fine if the entire series, or maybe even just the rest of S6, hadn’t been about specific corrupt police and criminals, and high drama - which probably draws in more viewers than an anti institutional corruption plot.

Or maybe David Simon is just a far superior writer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭trashcan

qwerty13 wrote: »
    And that would have been fine if the entire series, or maybe even just the rest of S6, hadn’t been about specific corrupt police and criminals, and high drama - which probably draws in more viewers than an anti institutional corruption plot.

Or maybe David Simon is just a far superior writer.

Yes, both really. The conclusion was a nonsense, and trying to dress it up post fact can’t cure that.

Slightly different genres i'm talking impact; just finished the last season of Cracker... wow - absolutely fantastic stuff... soo bloody well written.. and having watched the final ep of LOD season 6 earlier this eve this really puts things in perspective; it was actually worse than I originally thought..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

just watched the last episode and it was a big let down and this series itself was too imo, line of duty is well known for twists and turns and surprises but this petered out like a damp sparkler
    Buckles living a double life with a big mansion ffs when would he have got time to use that being a working detective, it is like a teenager got hold of a good book and finished the last chapter

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭volchitsa

OmegaGene wrote: »
    just watched the last episode and it was a big let down and this series itself was too imo, line of duty is well known for twists and turns and surprises but this petered out like a damp sparkler
    Buckles living a double life with a big mansion ffs when would he have got time to use that being a working detective, it is like a teenager got hold of a good book and finished the last chapter

And how did none of these anti corruption people notice any of this?
    Wouldn't looking at this sort of anomaly between a detective's salary and their life style be one of the very first ways you'd look to idenitfiy possibly corrupt cops?

I do think that was one of the weaker explanations for it being Buckells. But I still think he isn't the main man.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls: "Very concerned about statements by the IOC at Paris2024 (M)ultiple international treaties and national constitutions specifically refer to women & their fundamental rights, so the world (understands) what women -and men- are. (H)ow can one assess fairness and justice if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

sporina wrote: »
    Slightly different genres i'm talking impact; just finished the last season of Cracker... wow - absolutely fantastic stuff... soo bloody well written.. and having watched the final ep of LOD season 6 earlier this eve this really puts things in perspective; it was actually worse than I originally thought..

Loved Cracker!
    Might watch it again myself ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I also doubt James Nesbitt's character was there to turn up dead, even though proven in the last episode. Maybe we are off to Spain next?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I thought series 6 was poor compared to other seasons but the finale was a steaming pile of dung.

So much lazy writing, so many stupid things happened, examples below:

1. Why was Jo allowed to go into witness protection and live the good life? Who did she give up for this? A nobody who turned out to be a real nobody. But no worries there, let Jo sail off into the sunset with her dog and girlfriend. Even though she conspired to kill a Police Officer and was guilty of perverting the course of justice. Just utterly non-sensical.

2. Buckells? Seriously? We've been waiting all this time for this guy? How could he operate a laptop in prison without being noticed? Sure there are dodgy prison guards but surely not all of them. Someone must have seen him on his laptop. But no, the audience are idiots so we'll just write whatever we feel fits the narrative.

3. The old switcheroo in the prison wagon? FFS, it was like something from the A-Team.

4. Nobody thought to check the word "definately" before? After all these years? When they are so meticilous with everything else. Nonsense.

The show, at this stage and after so much investment from its audience, was obligated to deliver a payoff. It's been building up to it for years but its clear the writers had no idea what they were doing and made it up as they were going along.

I could keep going but, at this stage and like the writes of LOD, I just couldn't be bothered.

That said, the actors gave it their all and can only work with the material they are given so kudos to them for their performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Keyzer wrote: »
    I thought series 6 was poor compared to other seasons but the finale was a steaming pile of dung.

1. Why was Jo allowed to go into witness protection and live the good life? Who did she give up for this? A nobody who turned out to be a real nobody. But no worries there, let Jo sail off into the sunset with her dog and girlfriend. Even though she conspired to kill a Police Officer and was guilty of perverting the course of justice. Just utterly non-sensical.

2. Buckells? Seriously? We've been waiting all this time for this guy? How could he operate a laptop in prison without being noticed? Sure there are dodgy prison guards but surely not all of them. Someone must have seen him on his laptop. But no, the audience are idiots so we'll just write whatever we feel fits the narrative.

3. The old switcheroo in the prison wagon? FFS, it was like something from the A-Team.

4. Nobody thought to check the word "definately" before? After all these years? When they are so meticilous with everything else. Nonsense.

The show, at this stage and after so much investment from its audience, was obligated to deliver a payoff. It's been building up to it for years but its clear the writers had no idea what they were doing and made it up as they were going along.

I could keep going but, at this stage and like the writes of LOD, I just couldn't be bothered.

That said, the actors gave it their all and can only work with the material they are given so kudos to them for their performances.

much worse people ended up in witness protection. Lisa McQueen and Tommy Hunter for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

The most nonsensical bit was Steve was allowed to be involved in a highly dangerous and armed tactical plan in which about 6 OCG had fully automatic machine guns and body protection armour with a single shot ****ing taser gun !!!!
    No c’mon, there is no way any commanding officer would risk an officer in such circumstances, the risk to his life would be too great .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

In regards to Steve and the gun. Why didn't they use they use the tactical plan as a pivotal point in Steve's issues. Let something happen at that which triggered him going to talk to someone, to get better.
    They kind of fell into it, removed his gun, then remember they had this big armed chase and oh sh*t we can't give Steve a gun. It seemed back to front to me.

Maybe he loses it on the tactical plan, is about to pull the trigger but they talk him down or something. I don't know. But better than hopping out of a car with a taser and a criminal just saying "ahh crap my gun is useless now"

Loved Cracker!
    Might watch it again myself ;)

its class! I know its more about Fitz but none the less.. it delivers with impact. The last episode brings it all full circle notwithstanding a sad ending of sorts..

agree 100%

IMHO - Series 3 was brill - 4 was meh, 5 was v good - 6 was pants!

Bron/Broen - last episode - THATS how to wrap up a series/show!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

This 25year old quote from the creator of Cracker dismissing Prime Suspect could easily apply to Line of Duty
    In an interview with the NME, McGovern dismissed Prime Suspect, noting that "Good TV writing has narrative simplicity and emotional complexity," and characterising the series as "A narratively complex story going up its own arse."

oneilla wrote: »
    This 25year old quote from the creator of Cracker dismissing Prime Suspect could easily apply to Line of Duty

oh i wouldn't agree with that re: Prime Suspect - lovvvved it!

But yeah its v apt for LOD - or even an little understated!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

1. Yes, this was stupid.

2. I think 'H' was so built up, it was always going to be a disappointment no matter who it turned out to be. Osborne was obvious. Nesbitt wasn't in it long enough for anyone to care. The DCC was in it to little to care about either. No-one wanted any of the holy trinity to be 'H'. Carmichael - meh but would have been more believeable.
    Actually, the old bloke who pished himself would have been a better option and the interview with them trying get his 'faked' dementia to drop would have been great viewing.
    No one else really was an interest to the audience.

3. When they got Jo at the underpass, why not put armed response in the van instead of mate #1 and mate #2. As said previously, mate #1 was up against machine guns with a taser - dumb.

4. When Ted order Chloe to cross reference this, I thought eh? did they not do this already? Again, dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The only thing I can think of that might save the series is of teds lecture to Carmichael sparks her off to investigate how buckles rose threw the ranks etc and starts her own covert op away from the eyes of those in charge with ted and mate 1 and mate 2
    Carmichael did seem to be lost for words after teds lecture/rant

The internet isn’t for everyone

sebdavis wrote: »
    In regards to Steve and the gun. Why didn't they use they use the tactical plan as a pivotal point in Steve's issues. Let something happen at that which triggered him going to talk to someone, to get better.
    They kind of fell into it, removed his gun, then remember they had this big armed chase and oh sh*t we can't give Steve a gun. It seemed back to front to me.

Maybe he loses it on the tactical plan, is about to pull the trigger but they talk him down or something. I don't know. But better than hopping out of a car with a taser and a criminal just saying "ahh crap my gun is useless now"

Yeah I think that the bit about Steve and the taser gun was really stupid - like as if that would be allowed.. but anyway... as it was, they cudda used this as a way to instil some drama into the ep.. by him getting injured or something.. (I assume they couldn't kill him off as they obviously plan to keep him in series 7)..

Further thoughts.. there is obviously another man.. we still don't know who Jo's father is.. there has to be another top dog..
    To add to this further - who helped Buckles climb the ranks?
    And other than Tommy Hunter, who was coercing Jo? Her father? Obviously wasn't Buckles..

I wudda been happy had this been the last season but seems not.. I just hope the next one is better.

Will Ted win his appeal and resume duty? I guess so.
    Will Kate go back to AC 12 or whatever the new dept is? Yep
    Will Kate and Steve become more than mates? I think so..

You know, the episode was really lazy.. like they way we wer just delivered Buckles on a plate - come on - they cudda let us see him being caught in the act somehow.. but for Chloe to just offer it up? lazy.

And yes, silly - no one batted an eye at the misspelling of "definitely" in ep 6.. Even we copped that.

Man there was so much wrong with this series..

At least we had the van swap scene - that was about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Jo's father is Tommy Hunter, her mother's brother. The man she believed to be her father was Fairbanks,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Will Ted win his appeal and resume duty? I guess so.

I predict he escapes from a maximum security stockade, invests in a black van and teams up with Kate and Steve (and a wee donkey) to form the AC-Team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Madelyn

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Jo's father is Tommy Hunter, her mother's brother. The man she believed to be her father was Fairbanks,.

I dont buy that at all.. Hastings and Fairbanks were good friends.. He would have known JO. Fairbanks was not married to JOs mother.

Advertisement