Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,141 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Can we put up a stickie to say that buckles isn’t H and he was a useful idiot for the ocg ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Maybe this is the new world we live in where everyone is on social media (and maybe people feel free to behave like this since the former US President set a precedent there!) but I have never seen a creator behave the way Jed has (recently or even in the past given his previous attack on Hannah Davies). It's incredibly unprofessional of him. His ego is obviously very fragile. As others said, surely the best thing for him to do would be to ignore all the reaction and leave it to others. I'm not sure the BEEB would tolerate this type of behaviour from others but obviously if you're breaking records with viewership numbers you're allowed to do as you please...

what can the bbc do about him being rude, the show is made by itv productions and bbc just air it

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭sporina

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Hahaha such a rediculous mistake I'm not even going to edit it out. I mean Stephen Graham!

lol I knew how you meant..
    Apologies if this is already asked and answered, but where does the 'H' business stand now? Was yer man somehow referring to Buckles when he tapped it out, and if not to who or what?

Well this is my take on it.. it seemed after series 3 that a "H" was the top dog.. but then in series 5 (I think), Steve suggested that perhaps it wasn't a "H" - but perhaps a 4th man (morse code).

In any event, H or 4th man were guesses based on Dot's dying declaration..

So Buckles was another man.. for sure - but not top dog.. he said that Tommy Hunter was top dog - but obviously there has to have been someone in higher power within the force acting bent.. ie: who helped Buckles climb the ranks? Osbourne? We dunno. My guess is that JM has a series 7 in mind but who knows.. a lot of controversy now after that led ballon of an end to series 6.. guess he thought he was invincible.. but his fans are that submissive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

sporina wrote: »

Well this is my take on it.. it seemed after series 3 that a "H" was the top dog.. but then in series 5 (I think), Steve suggested that perhaps it wasn't a "H" - but perhaps a 4th man (morse code).

So Buckles was another man.. for sure - but not top dog.. he said that Tommy Hunter was top dog - but obviously there has to have been someone in higher power within the force acting bent.. ie: who helped Buckles climb the ranks? Osbourne? We dunno. My guess is that JM has a series 7 in mind but who knows.. a lot of controversy now after that led ballon of an end to series 6.. guess he thought he was invincible.. but his fans are that submissive.

Fairbanks helped Buckles, IMO It was Fairbanks Jo was taking instruction from to apply to join the force when she was lead to believe he was her father by Hunter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

OmegaGene wrote: »
    what can the bbc do about him being rude, the show is made by itv productions and bbc just air it

Fair point. It just seems strange that someone with such a high profile can publicly behave like a spoilt child (but like I said there is a precedent established now!).

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Fairbanks helped Buckles, IMO It was Fairbanks Jo was taking instruction from to apply to join the force when she was lead to believe he was her father by Hunter.

yes true..

but it seemed that Fairbanks wasn't currently active in that regards.. well they didn't find anything in his cell anyway..

I think there was someone else holding the puppets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

yes true..

but it seemed that Fairbanks wasn't currently active in that regards.. well they didn't find anything in his cell anyway..

I think there was someone else holding the puppets

Does he need anything in his cell when he's got bent prison officers at his back and call? Fairbanks was the nastiest, most bent of them all. A child abusing, sneaky liar pretending to have dementia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

That for me is why the ending was so unsatisfactory.
    They found Buckles largely based on spelling and syntax from the laptop communications between OCG gang and a senior criminal. That was very much the narrative that was pushed.

The character on the other side of the laptop communications was a high ranking figure.

Now we know Buckles was the one they were communicating with on the laptop (Spelling sybtax etc) but we are now expected to accept that he wasn't a high ranking criminal just a bent copper willing to look the other way.

if that is the case why was he giving orders, eg approving the eastfield robbery, in a previous season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,602 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

joe40 wrote: »
    They found Buckles largely based on spelling and syntax from the laptop communications between OCG gang and a senior criminal. That was very much the narrative that was pushed.

The character on the other side of the laptop communications was a high ranking figure.

Now we know Buckles was the one they were communicating with on the laptop (Spelling sybtax etc) but we are now expected to accept that he wasn't a high ranking criminal just a bent copper willing to look the other way.

if that is the case why was he giving orders, eg approving the eastfield robbery, in a previous season.

was buckles just passing on info and communicating on the laptop and now he is the fall guy the take the heat while ac12 is dissolved, if buckles was the top bloke would the murder of the solicitor in prison have been such a shock to him ?

buckles is not the man running the show at all

The internet isn’t for everyone

joe40 wrote: »

yeah the fact that they identified him via a spelling mistake is v v poor imo.. where was the drama in that?!

I dunno.. part of me thinks that JM shud leave it at that and start afresh..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

They are preposterous for the most part. But the audience doesn't mind that. Suspending belief is the viewers part of the tacit contract you enter with the creator when you watch their work - their side is to stay true to the fundamental rule of film, that everything has to add up.

Jed broke that contract; He wrote himself into a corner, and then decided to cheat his way out of it with an illogical childish conclusion.

His ego driven bitch-fit about the wholly fair criticism the finale received is just adding insult to injury now. Implying that the audience are not smart enough to "get it" is just condescending and deflecting.

He must really be living in an echo chamber if he thinks that poorly written, pseudo political, disparate nonsense was a satisfactory conclusion to the story.

giphy.gif

His agent needs to tell him to take a holiday and delete the Twitter app from his phone

https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1390006332372180992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Like many writers, they just can't help themselves on Twitter.

This post stood out on LOD Reddit

BBC 1 LOD Versus BBC 2 LOD
    The show is too large now to be smart. Not saying the original viewers were super smart and the new ones aren’t but the show clearly had a target audience in the BBC2 days where it was a niche enough show to allow for amazing writing.

The success has pushed it be even more mainstreamed, and therefore its target audience has expanded from those who wanted to keep guessing to those who want to sit down after work/in their spare time and be entertained without to much thinking.

The show will never return to the BBC2 season 1-3 level because its changed and apparently Jed has been fully supportive of his endowing despite the backlash. You’ll never get a Gates, Denton or Dot because that’s not what the show is anymore.

They are preposterous for the most part. But the audience doesn't mind that. Suspending belief is the viewers part of the tacit contract you enter with the creator when you watch their work - their side is to stay true to the fundamental rule of film, that everything has to add up.

Jed broke that contract; He wrote himself into a corner, and then decided to cheat his way out of it with an illogical childish conclusion.

His ego driven bitch-fit about the wholly fair criticism the finale received is just adding insult to injury now. Implying that the audience are not smart enough to "get it" is just condescending and deflecting.

He must really be living in an echo chamber if he thinks that poorly written, pseudo political, disparate nonsense was a satisfactory conclusion to the story.

I don't think Unforgotten is preposterous - but LOD? Definitely! (not in a bad way though - v entertaining - until the last series that is!)

Totally agree with you on the rest - but as much and all as I hate to admit it, if there is a season 7, I probably will watch it.

This is coming up on a million views and it's excellent

Carmichael is so well done

https://twitter.com/KieranCHodgson/status/1389186251564142598

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    This is coming up on a million views and it's excellent

Carmichael is so well done

https://twitter.com/KieranCHodgson/status/1389186251564142598

Steve too. Really good :D

I don't think Unforgotten is preposterous - but LOD? Definitely! (not in a bad way though - v entertaining - until the last series that is!)

Totally agree with you on the rest - but as much and all as I hate to admit it, if there is a season 7, I probably will watch it.

I work in IT Security. Aspects of my job sound really cool, there are even bits that sound sexy to the right kind of person.

The reality though is 99.9% of my job is boring, mundane stuff. Meetings and Excel.

A realistic dramatisation of the work AC-12 does would be as dull as dishwater.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I work in IT Security. Aspects of my job sound really cool, there are even bits that sound sexy to the right kind of person.

The reality though is 99.9% of my job is boring, mundane stuff. Meetings and Excel.

It would be Chloe doing all the work she currently does off screen and the main three would barely feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Jed Mercurio was really self-indulgent. He was in the very rare position of having a significant portion of the UK hanging on his every word, but he decided to use that as a soap box to comment on the government at the expense of entertaining story telling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

As another who works in this field, this post is bang on the money. For the most part, its boring as fock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Jed Mercurio was really self-indulgent. He was in the very rare position of having a significant portion of the UK hanging on his every word, but he decided to use that as a soap box to comment on the government at the expense of entertaining story telling.

'Take back control'. Subtle as a brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    His agent needs to tell him to take a holiday and delete the Twitter app from his phone

https://twitter.com/jed_mercurio/status/1390006332372180992

The fact that he used one of his own creations as a reference just tells you everything you need to know about this man's gargantuan ego.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,497 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Hollyworth wrote: »
    The fact that he used one of his own creations as a reference just tells you everything you need to know about this man's gargantuan ego.

He got an abusive tweet and responded accordingly. I ignore such things but he can do as he pleases.

I'm not really sure what to make of the ending. It's a bit of a buzzkill for H to be someone as dull and weak as Buckles but on the other hand, if there's to be another season it can focus on Osborne or someone with a bit more charisma.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

sorry, I don't get the connection between your job and LOD being preposterous?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

He got an abusive tweet and responded accordingly. I ignore such things but he can do as he pleases.

I wouldn't classify the tweet from the Irish chap as abusive. The response was way over the top though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭smodgley

From Reddit:
    r/lineofduty · Posted by u/DJBenz 12h ago

James Nesbitt wins early BAFTA nomination for best performance in a photograph
    :pac::D

sorry, I don't get the connection between your job and LOD being preposterous?

If it was realistic it would be dull and boring.

If it was realistic it would be dull and boring.

i didn't say I wanted it to be realistic..

"I don't think Unforgotten is preposterous - but LOD? Definitely! (not in a bad way though - v entertaining - until the last series that is!)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

smodgley wrote: »
    From Reddit:
    r/lineofduty · Posted by u/DJBenz 12h ago

James Nesbitt wins early BAFTA nomination for best performance in a photograph
    :pac::D

Dreaded the thought of him appearing, no fault to Nesbitt but he's hard to take seriously

Advertisement