Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

I had the last episode spoiled for me by seeing a pic of what happened in the paper yesterday before I watched it. I then picked the paper up a few minutes later and re-read the same spoiler :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

pinkypinky wrote: »
    When they were in the shopping centre, I thought to myself, that looks like Victoria Square in Belfast. It was a full day later that it dawned on me that it probably was...
    Yeah...it is all pretty much filmed in northern ireland....hence the BBC NI at the start...:D

It would have been funnier if it was filmed in the slick surroundings of the castlecourt lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

When they were in the shopping centre, I thought to myself, that looks like Victoria Square in Belfast. It was a full day later that it dawned on me that it probably was...

Same here. Second thought was "all shopping centres must look the same" before I realised

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It was, you could see the street sign for Victoria Square and Upper Church Lane as they got into the car to drive off, this is where they walked out - https://goo.gl/maps/76FAECc6QQH94x8u9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Ok so just to summarise where we are at.
    A) Lisa is a UCO working for Hastings and he was telling her to deal with John when he closed the messages with "bring this to an end"
    or
    B) Lisa is a UCO that Hastings is unaware of and he passed a message to the group to deal with John via his meeting with Lee Banks in prison.
    C) Neither of the above and Hastings has absolutely nothing to do with John getting bumped off. That would leave his behaviour in the messaging with Lisa and John unexplained and would also leave us wondering what on earth he met Lee Banks for.

A suggests Hastings decided it was time to get rid of John as they failed to bring him in. That would put Hastings on very dodgy ground as surely he couldn't make such a call for a UCO, no matter how rogue that UCO was, especially when he was not one of his own.

B suggests Hastings is colluding with the group, this would put him beyond dodgy ground so I find it hard to believe he would jeopardise all that is right by going down this road.

Given all we know about Hastings then C seems the likely answer but it just keeps us in the dark even more if so! Any other theories out there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Here is a theory discovered online I’m wrapping it with spoilers in case people don’t wasnt to read it
    As others have pointed out, it’s fairly obvious at this point that Gill Bigelow is H. I’ve collated the evidence below, including some points others have made and some new ones I’ve noticed. It works thematically and dramatically and I’ll prove it to you. It’s her.

In order for the reveal to have dramatic weight, H must be a significant enough character with whom we are already familiar. There are actually very few characters left that fit that description and would actually make sense. Of these, really the only possibilities with any evidence that would be satisfying dramatically (tiny bit part characters just aren’t going to be the big bad) are Ted Hastings or Gill Bigelow. It isn’t Ted, so that just leaves her. She’s returned to the series for a reason.
    Literally almost every single action she took during her time at AC-12 directly protected (or even pushed for promotion of) members of the corrupt network or frustrated investigations at key moments. Some of these can be explained away as the cynical/political/lawyerly, but taken as a whole she’s the most consistently self-serving character in the show and all her decisions make perfect sense if you accept she is H. Even if you believe she’s just a smart, devious lawyer, how do you explain how every single thing she does just happens to benefit the corrupt organisation, in small part or large? As a police lawyer she’s also uniquely positioned to have access to deeply sensitive information whilst not being a serving police officer, leaving her safe in AC-12’s blind spot.
    Theme of sexism has been simmering away in the background for some time. Gill herself brought it up this episode. Funny that. It would be fitting that the big bad be a woman, particularly one so adept at outmanoeuvring the male dinosaurs she encounters in the police force. It’s no coincidence that many of the corrupt male police officers are blackmailed through their sexual weaknesses.
    This is an important one. There are only a very few officials who knew about the depot raid in episode three. Other than Hastings/Kate/Steve, Gill is the only other main character to know about it. How do we know that? Hastings himself said he would have to run it by the DCC, whose office Gill is currently serving in as legal counsel to the PCC. There’s no reason to include that line other than to subtly signal that Gill will have to be informed. She is the one who passed on the information about the tracking devices.
    We know the OCG uses DNA (semen, no less) to blackmail senior police officers. Awfully convenient that Gill Bigelow is about to get into bed with the most senior police officer in the anti corruption unit dedicated to rooting H out.
    The H code name literally being someone with a last name ending with H is far too obvious and not Line of Duty’s style. It’s just there to make us doubt Ted. The twist will be that in his dying declaration, Dot was blinking for the letter G, which is right before the letter H. G for Gill. And what a surprise, she was instrumental in supporting him for promotion at AC-12.
    So either she’s H, or she’s as close to H as you can possibly get. Now tell me I’m wrong!

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

that's some good investigation work right there that AC-12 would be proud of! A whole different approach that I never saw anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

FitzShane wrote: »
    that's some good investigation work right there that AC-12 would be proud of! A whole different approach that I never saw anyways!

Ooohh - interesting!! You need a criminal degree to follow this programme!

Think it finishes BH Sunday - Im away so need to stay off social media until I get back on Monday. Oh and if hubbie watches it without me you folks head to the separation and divorce forum for further details :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭tiegan

Please can someone show/tell me how I can read the "spoilers" TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭VG31

tiegan wrote: »
    Please can someone show/tell me how I can read the "spoilers" TIA

On the desktop site you select the text. On the mobile site you just tap the hidden text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Anna Maxwell Martin to join for the final two episodes of this series.

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/0423/1045143-line-of-duty-reveals-woman-on-a-mission/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Interesting. This series has had no real interviews, so it looks like that might start now. A high ranking outsider would have to be there to interview Hastings given the ranking rules.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Here is a theory discovered online I’m wrapping it with spoilers in case people don’t wasnt to read it
    As others have pointed out, it’s fairly obvious at this point that Gill Bigelow is H. I’ve collated the evidence below, including some points others have made and some new ones I’ve noticed. It works thematically and dramatically and I’ll prove it to you. It’s her.

In order for the reveal to have dramatic weight, H must be a significant enough character with whom we are already familiar. There are actually very few characters left that fit that description and would actually make sense. Of these, really the only possibilities with any evidence that would be satisfying dramatically (tiny bit part characters just aren’t going to be the big bad) are Ted Hastings or Gill Bigelow. It isn’t Ted, so that just leaves her. She’s returned to the series for a reason.
    Literally almost every single action she took during her time at AC-12 directly protected (or even pushed for promotion of) members of the corrupt network or frustrated investigations at key moments. Some of these can be explained away as the cynical/political/lawyerly, but taken as a whole she’s the most consistently self-serving character in the show and all her decisions make perfect sense if you accept she is H. Even if you believe she’s just a smart, devious lawyer, how do you explain how every single thing she does just happens to benefit the corrupt organisation, in small part or large? As a police lawyer she’s also uniquely positioned to have access to deeply sensitive information whilst not being a serving police officer, leaving her safe in AC-12’s blind spot.
    Theme of sexism has been simmering away in the background for some time. Gill herself brought it up this episode. Funny that. It would be fitting that the big bad be a woman, particularly one so adept at outmanoeuvring the male dinosaurs she encounters in the police force. It’s no coincidence that many of the corrupt male police officers are blackmailed through their sexual weaknesses.
    This is an important one. There are only a very few officials who knew about the depot raid in episode three. Other than Hastings/Kate/Steve, Gill is the only other main character to know about it. How do we know that? Hastings himself said he would have to run it by the DCC, whose office Gill is currently serving in as legal counsel to the PCC. There’s no reason to include that line other than to subtly signal that Gill will have to be informed. She is the one who passed on the information about the tracking devices.
    We know the OCG uses DNA (semen, no less) to blackmail senior police officers. Awfully convenient that Gill Bigelow is about to get into bed with the most senior police officer in the anti corruption unit dedicated to rooting H out.
    The H code name literally being someone with a last name ending with H is far too obvious and not Line of Duty’s style. It’s just there to make us doubt Ted. The twist will be that in his dying declaration, Dot was blinking for the letter G, which is right before the letter H. G for Gill. And what a surprise, she was instrumental in supporting him for promotion at AC-12.
    So either she’s H, or she’s as close to H as you can possibly get. Now tell me I’m wrong!

Of course H could be Her rather than someone's surname.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

The big thing for me on last week's episode was when JC fired off a round from the handgun. I reckon he did it to leave some trace of evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I wonder will it come to a close and we’ll find out H’s identity this series?

I hope so. This is the best series I've watched in a long, long time. And it's building nicely, but if we don't find out who H is this series, I think it will feel like they are dragging it on a bit. And I just want to find out too :P
    The big thing for me on last week's episode was when JC fired off a round from the handgun. I reckon he did it to leave some trace of evidence.

Yeah, I thought the exact same thing at the time.

The last episode is 90 minutes,I’m tempted to leave the final two episodes to watch them together, I’m guessing there will the the mother of all cliff hangers tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why was the gun loaded? Surely if it was a plan to flush him out as a rat - then why take the risk of having a loaded gun for him?

They were not to know it was going to play out exactly as it did. Not sure that was a clever plot point.

The last episode is 90 minutes,I’m tempted to leave the final two episodes to watch them together, I’m guessing there will the the mother of all cliff hangers tomorrow night

I know I was thinking the same but it’s just too hard to avoid spoilers these days

I know I was thinking the same but it’s just too hard to avoid spoilers these days

It’s not that hard to avoid them

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

So no one else thinks Tatleen is H then?

So no one else thinks Tatleen is H then?

Noooooo

It’s not that hard to avoid them

Ok

Ok

Spoilers are only on social media and the newspapers, avoid them and you’re sorted

Spoilers are only on social media and the newspapers, avoid them and you’re sorted

I realise that. I would find it hard to stay away from social media for a week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Penultimate episode!!

I’m well excited

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jamemid

Looking forward to this. Have a feeling Hastings is getting stitched up.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Guessing Ryan is going for an interview to join the police force.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

Poor Steve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Is this the end of Hastings?

Advertisement