Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

8-10 wrote: »
    Yeah it's great how much stuff goes all the way back to the early episodes. Last night had references to Karim Ali being shot in the very first scene of season 1 episode 1, and you also had the little kid Ryan from that series pop up in this week's episode as well as the bald thug from Jackie Laverty's Salon being in this season. One thing I don't think has happened yet is finding her body right? It went into that poor chap's fridge and that's the last we've heard of it?

Going back a few weeks to this comment.....i think we now know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I was expecting the penultimate episode to be a bit of a banger, the way a lot of series are going these days.
    Can't see Hastings getting off on this as quickly as by the end of the final episode. Likely to drag on til next season.
    Absolutely love this show. Can't wait for the final.

Thought it was awesome - great unexpected developments!

Wonder why that complete spiteful sarky bitch brought up Jackie Laverty?

Her body parts were dumped beside Corbett's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

People complaining about the penultimate episode being dull have to remember that in reality the penultimate episode is the first half of next week's feature length episode.

Anyways it was all looking that Ted was going to be set up ( unless he is H of course ) so roll on next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Carmichael and Biggeloe are such thundercuntts!

Great acting and casting. I really wanted Hastings to bounce a pen off Carmichaels head every time she smirked at him. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

The minute that Moffatt lad started popping up in the hotel lobby the stink of set-up was strong. It's very difficult to believe Ted could be that naive. As he said himself, he didn't just float up the Lagan in a bubble!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Word of the episode....." Absconded"

Hastings could be framing himself, for some covert reason. His smile at the end. He's too smart of a copper to have all that suspicious evidence laying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I couldn’t take Carmichael seriously because she’s bears such a massive resemblance to Dermot Whelan.

Just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hastings could be framing himself, for some covert reason. His smile at the end. He's too smart of a copper to have all that suspicious evidence laying around.
    He's setting up the setting upperers?
    Holy thundercunnt Batman!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Who ordered the dumping of Lafferty's body bits and why tie a crime from series one so directly to current series?

My betting is still on Lisa being UC MI5 assigned to investigate under deeper cover than Corbett or as mentioned before UC of Hastings.

Also there must be more fleshing out of the Belfast link, was Ted actually hospitalised by a pipe bomb or was he undercover himself and the pipebomb just a cover story for his abscense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hastings acted completely differently when dealing with the OCG in the club and then afterwards where the stash was, real kiezer soze stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Was a bit meh tonight, but that was always going to be the case, setting things up for the big finale next week.

The stuff Ted is doing at the minute, is totally out of character for someone who continually talked about things being done to the letter of the law. I hope it is not going to end with some Hollywood style ending where Ted saves the day. I don't think it will, but the stuff he is doing seems so out of character that I hope it is not a convoluted and OTT ending.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I think Ted will be in jail next season. For some of it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agree, this won't be wrapped up in the final episode, I see Ted being in jail next season as well. I would agree what he did last night was totally out of character but the more I think about it, the more it seems he was fully in control of what he was at and orchestrated the whole thing. The question is why! On the one hand he brought the whole OCG down in one fell swoop - quite the achievement! On the other hand he left himself completely open to the allegations being put to him now. You have to think he has something up his sleeve here, that this is an attempt to expose H. Either way, I don't expect it to be resolved next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Hastings is like all of our dad. :(

Go on, Ted - fight those bitches!

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

That scene from last night in the DCC's office with Hastings and Bigalow is annoying me today because I think I missed something big from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Chief Superintendent Carmichael has been "fast tracked" into her position - this is the second series where that has been mentioned. I'm beginning to think that H was using AC-12 to destroy the careers of police officers who could then be replaced by those that are involved with the OCG. Ted Hastings became a threat and now Carmichael is being used to eliminate him.

In series 1, Derek Hilton was a Chief Superintendent and by season 4 had become the Assistant Chief Constable. He encouraged Matthew Cottan to take the Inspectors exam making the suggestion that he could replace Tony Gates. AC12's investigation into the conviction rate of Tony Gates facilitated this.

In series 2, the career of Deputy Chief Constable Mike Dryden was destroyed. AC-12's investigation into the Tony Hunter ambush played a major role in bringing an end to his career. Nigel Morton provided Cottan with the information that Mike Dryden had covered for his wife's speeding offense because it gave him an alibi for what he was actually doing at the time. Dryden maintained he was a good officer and had been framed. Lester Hargreaves claimed that Mike Dryden was the best police officer he ever served.

In series 3, we learned of former Chief Superintendent Fairbank who had used his position as a police officer to cover up a pedophile ring. Gill Biggeloe stepped in to prevent the prosecution of Fairbank on medical grounds, pressured Hastings to dismiss Steve Arnott and also encouraged Cottan to apply for promotion for the Chief Inspector position.

it was the dying declaration of Cottan that led to Fairbank's conviction and also put both Ted Hastings and AC-12 in the cross hairs - Hilton invested a lot of energy in trying to destroy Hastings and get his hands on the recording in series 4.

Series 5: I suspect that Lester Hargreaves was blackmailed into going to the Eastfield depot and had no real involvement with the OCG. As far as we are aware AC-12 haven't done any investigating into Hargreaves because they have been focused on John Corbett. The circumstantial evidence and envelope of money was enough to tip the scales against Hastings and now Carmichael intends to use the AC-12 team to prove he is H.

The answer to the whole "Who is H?" question is held by Nigel Morton - he made a copy of the sim card from Cottan's burner phone for insurance purposes in series 2.

That scene from last night in the DCC's office with Hastings and Bigalow is annoying me today because I think I missed something big from that.
    Biggeloe offered him the chance to retire so that he would avoid an investigation and disciplinary proceedings. She also offered her services as a lawyer.

Talisman wrote: »
    Biggeloe offered him the chance to retire so that he would avoid an investigation and disciplinary proceedings. She also offered her services as a lawyer.

He could be suspicious of her (like a lot of us). The way he is around her, seemed a bit out of character too. And in a previous episode saying that his wife was attacked when he was with her and that it wasn't a good sign (or something to that effect), he could have meant that, rather than the romantic side of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭ASOT

Anyone else suspicious of Kate or is it just me? Something just doesn't seem right about her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

ASOT wrote: »
    Anyone else suspicious of Kate or is it just me? Something just doesn't seem right about her.

Nah. It's just the change we've seen in her from rising through the ranks. Another thing which hasn't been addressed now that I think about it. Why was she made Inspector and not Steve ?

Home life has also been an issue for her since the series began too.

Why was she made Inspector and not Steve ?
    Was Steve not out recovering from paralysis when she got promoted?

He could be suspicious of her (like a lot of us). The way he is around her, seemed a bit out of character too. And in a previous episode saying that his wife was attacked when he was with her and that it wasn't a good sign (or something to that effect), he could have meant that, rather than the romantic side of things.
    Hastings has been separated from Roisin for years but still considers himself to be bound by his marriage vow. In his view, the one time he strayed and betrayed that vow, Roisin was attacked. It could be coincidence or a sign from God / the universe - Ted Hastings is leaning towards the latter.

I'm beginning to think Gill Biggeloe is a red herring - she has genuine feelings for Hastings in part because he is the traditional knight in shining armour, he has his principles and has always stuck to them. Asking him to retire could be seen as being for a nefarious motive or it could be out of a desire to protect him. Biggeloe has been privy to the politics behind the scenes and Hastings has no inclination to play politics which is why he is still a Superintendent on the police force.

Why was she made Inspector and not Steve ?
    Hastings had been accused of having a policy of sexual discrimination regarding promotions in AC-12. Promoting Kate over Steve would have eased the pressure on that front.

Talisman wrote: »
    Hastings had been accused of having a policy of sexual discrimination regarding promotions in AC-12. Promoting Kate over Steve would have eased the pressure on that front.

Yes, made easier by Steve being out of the picture at the time when the appt was made. I think she got her earlier promotion after Steve.

Yes, made easier by Steve being out of the picture at the time when the appt was made. I think she got her earlier promotion after Steve.
    Didn't she receive a commendation after taking down Cottan? The commendation would have gone in her favour and the business with the conviction against Denton being quashed due to the questionable nature of the relationship between her and Arnott would have gone against him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,199 ✭✭✭jos28

Ah here, the more theories I read, the more confused I get. If I had a couple of weeks off work I'd go right back to the beginning and take actual notes while watching.
    I loved Carmichael last night, loved the smirks and the digs at Ted. She could be a very interesting character

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭gilly1910

jos28 wrote: »
    Ah here, the more theories I read, the more confused I get. If I had a couple of weeks off work I'd go right back to the beginning and take actual notes while watching.
    I loved Carmichael last night, loved the smirks and the digs at Ted. She could be a very interesting character

She's certainly not the most lovable character, but definitely not a person you'd want to be facing if you were in Ted's shoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The stuff Ted is doing at the minute, is totally out of character for someone who continually talked about things being done to the letter of the law.

There's a lot of them acting out of character in this series alone.
    Lisa is a hard-bitten, murder-facilitating, heartless criminal one minute and desperate, trapped, trembling individual the next. I reckon she's got multiple personality disorder. Only reasonable explanation that makes sense. :pac:

Corbett is a highly intelligent, utterly committed undercover officer who will let nothing stand in his way to root out bent coppers to the extent that he will even collude in murder to maintain his cover. He's shown himself to be adept and ruthless and a strategic planner and then, in five minutes, he undoes all that hard work to try a high risk attempt to rescue some women that he could probably have ensured got rescued in some other way. He must have had a stroke or something. Only reasonable explanation. :pac:

I enjoy the show but someone needs to reign Mercurio in and tell him that his plotlines rely a bit too much on the goodwill of his audience.

Advertisement