Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

..and those giant keys. She's need a big old bag to ship them around.

Also, that picture of her and someone she threw the glass at. Any significance other than an ex lover. Was it an old character? Didn't recognize her but curious all the same.

I thought it was her mother. the photo seemed to be of a young girl and an older woman. she did say she didnt have any family so they have had a falling out or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,273 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I thought it was her mother. the photo seemed to be of a young girl and an older woman. she did say she didnt have any family so they have had a falling out or something.

Ah man I was way off!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Was Steve wearing a wig? Arnott's new Barnet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I thought the same, that it was her Mam

45 mins after it aired and I've had time to let the episode sink in: it wasn't that strong at all. Fairly middling

We're used to season opening twists in the last few mins with LOD and Jed should've given his audience one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Hollyworth wrote: »
    Was Steve wearing a wig? Arnott's new Barnet.

On his face?

• Advertisement

Tell you what lads, if it turns out that Buckles is the Kingpin Baddie/Main H, there will be online riots :pac:

Terrible character and actor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

the Farida character being Kelly McDonalds ex put a different spin on things for me, good to have all the regulars back, I thought it was a solid episode all in all.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

I honestly thought this show should have ended last season. I think it is at risk of becoming a parody of itself.

I hope I'm wrong and this season is great. But the slightly wink, wink, nudge, nudge, overuse of acronyms in tonight's episode almost felt like that Comic Relief sketch.

Can't remember who said it tonight but someone used about 6 acronyms in a sentence and it felt like Mecurio was winking at the audience. I'm sorry, but for me, when a show becomes this self aware it usually signals a dramatic dip in quality.

Good point on the episode thread of the LOD sub Reddit
    I reckon Hastings has Kate undercover without Steve knowing. The target: Buckells. Buckells seems complicit in a lot that went on. Although doesn't explain everything of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Good point on the episode thread of the LOD sub Reddit

Interesting theory but why keep Steve out of the loop.

• Advertisement

Hollyworth wrote: »
    I honestly thought this show should have ended last season

It's far too big a show for the BBC to pull the plug now

It's their biggest Drama since .... Happy Valley in 2014 maybe?

She's under, undercover ;)

God knows with Jed anymore. He loves his layer upon layered storylines

But I feel they're getting too convoluted since last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was Kelly McDonald acting really, really badly, or was it just her voice?
    CoBo55 wrote: »
    I thought she was terrible.
    siblers wrote: »
    I thought Martin Compton was quite wooden too. Was a bit underwhelmed by it

All of these. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was all a bit odd.... maybe to do with acting with Covid restrictions, and some coping better than others?

But Kelly McDonald was seriously wooden, very disappointing.

..and those giant keys. She's need a big old bag to ship them around.

Also, that picture of her and someone she threw the glass at. Any significance other than an ex lover. Was it an old character? Didn't recognize her but curious all the same.

Assumed like others it was her and her Mum, some family story to come out there.

Because Hastings knows Steve will go running to Kate every time. As evidence in episode 1!

Amazed no one mentioned Steve's pill taking. What's the story there?

Amazed no one mentioned Steve's pill taking. What's the story there?

He's been addicted to pain pills for awhile now due to a very severe back injury in a previous season

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    He's been addicted to pain pills for awhile now due to a very severe back injury in a previous season

I knew about the back injury but the pills weren't mentioned at all last season. I didn't think they were continuing with that story arc.

I knew about the back injury but the pills weren't mentioned at all last season. I didn't think they were continuing with that story arc.
    He was popping pills out of the cupboard above the microwave all through season 5 (I binge watched it the other night to catch up in time for the new series!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Is Terry Boyle the same character who was unknowingly housing the frozen dead body of Jackie Laverty? Davidson mentioned in questioning that there was refrigerator fluid found in the house. I wonder if that has any relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Fitz* wrote: »
    Is Terry Boyle the same character who was unknowingly housing the frozen dead body of Jackie Laverty? Davidson mentioned in questioning that there was refrigerator fluid found in the house. I wonder if that has any relevance?

Yip I believe so.

So so opening episode,underwhelmed.

A corpse in cold storage?

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    Weren't parts of Jackie Laverty's body found in the blue body bag at the scrapyard at the end of the last series?

I'm convinced I heard it mentioned, but it was about 3am after binge-watching the entire series, so I can't be sure.....

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    He was popping pills out of the cupboard above the microwave all through season 5 (I binge watched it the other night to catch up in time for the new series!)

I binged it last weekend but didn't remember that.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Weren't parts of Jackie Laverty's body found in the blue body bag at the scrapyard at the end of the last series?

I'm convinced I heard it mentioned, but it was about 3am after binge-watching the entire series, so I can't be sure.....

Yep, you're right, I was watching that episode earlier today. There were parts of Lavertys body, as well as Corbetts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

does anybody know of a good synopsis of the previous series online? there are people mentioning things that i dont remember. It doesn't help that i am terrible with names.

Spocker wrote: »
    Yep, you're right, I was watching that episode earlier today. There were parts of Lavertys body, as well as Corbetts

I need to start taking notes :(

brian_t wrote: »
    Quick recap of the first five series from the BBC.

To the poster looking for a recap, this is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Good solid opener for me.

I'm totally OK with no shock ending. It's becoming a bit of a cliche and a bit of unpredictability never hurt anyone.

Enjoyed seeing Steve a bit browbeaten by the job, he could only go so far with the plucky attitude and the job fatigue will play out nicely I'd say.

I'm always so-so on Kelly McDonald. There's no doubt she's a good actor but it seemed a bit hammy tonight. Hopefully her character improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I'm always so-so on Kelly McDonald. There's no doubt she's a good actor but it seemed a bit hammy tonight. Hopefully her character improves.

I don't think its hammy acting. Its clunky dialogue with a heap of shoehorned exposition lobbed in. LOD is all about a fast paced plot full of surprises and twists. Theres no room for well drawn characters and decent dialogue. If it didnt have the calibre of cast it has I think it would be like watching a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

I rewatched the last episode of season 5 last night, at the very end he was popping pills

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Rmgblue

does anybody know of a good synopsis of the previous series online? there are people mentioning things that i dont remember. It doesn't help that i am terrible with names.

Shrine of Duty podcast do a combination of episode and series roundups! I enjoy it

Advertisement