Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sebdavis

The picture McDonald threw the glass at, that wasn't the picture of the women who was killed in Belfast as an informer? the undercover guys mother from last season

Well that was like a warm hug!

Agree on the kelly McDonald comments, but god it’s great to have it back.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

A continuity error very well spotted by my non-car-nut neighbour, different BMWs in the initial chase scenes:

547706.png
    547707.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Hollyworth wrote: »
    I honestly thought this show should have ended last season. I think it is at risk of becoming a parody of itself.

I hope I'm wrong and this season is great. But the slightly wink, wink, nudge, nudge, overuse of acronyms in tonight's episode almost felt like that Comic Relief sketch.

Can't remember who said it tonight but someone used about 6 acronyms in a sentence and it felt like Mecurio was winking at the audience. I'm sorry, but for me, when a show becomes this self aware it usually signals a dramatic dip in quality.

jizz handling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

giphy.gif

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

And while I am at it, any one else scan the QR code from the magazine in the trailer?

547715.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

Spocker wrote: »
    A continuity error very well spotted by my non-car-nut neighbour, different BMWs in the initial chase scenes:

547706.png
    547707.png

t6MgKjk.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭cozar

radiotimes.com have a Q & A on this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I enjoyed it - great to have it back and plenty intrigue going forward.

Loved Kate's reaction when Steve flashed the lights - "what kind of knobby signal was that" :pac:. It seems his signal was Morse code for
    'H' :eek:

A couple of scenes felt a bit off, just from the lack of background extras - like Steve in the chemists.

Great seeing Flip from This is England too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I liked it. I don't mind the slower pace as I'd just watched Bloodlands which was a bit chaotic.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,837 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is what I got when I scanned the QR code.

https://i.imgur.com/uYIQLiH.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Very interesting. That's like one of those secret level moments in Super Mario...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Good news. 9.6 million viewers last night compared to the finale of season 5's 9.1 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56482757

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

I enjoyed it but the acronyms were absolute overkill, when Kate and your man (can't think of his name) were in his car they rattled off at least 20 of them. I hope that doesn't continue.

Jofspring wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but the acronyms were absolute overkill, when Kate and your man (can't think of his name) were in his car they rattled off at least 20 of them. I hope that doesn't continue.

It won't continue. When ever there are lots of AFOs onscreen the number of TLAs increase. LoD is about the investigation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Spocker wrote: »
    And while I am at it, any one else scan the QR code from the magazine in the trailer?
    It's a nice Easter egg. The fact that Hastings wasn't invited to the meeting of the senior officers follows from it.

The episode was a slow starter by the show's standards and it seemed average at best and a rehash of what we have seen before.

The opening scene - convoy rerouted. That has happened twice in the series on both occasions it was due to a police officer colluding with the OCG. I assume that this time it's not going to be the case - DCI Davidson was acting out of genuine concern. It wouldn't at all surprise me to later learn that her mother was killed in such circumstances. The way she spoke of public safety echoed what Hastings had said to Steve Arnott about engaging John Corbett in the previous series.

Lomax has a touch of Cottan about him - his accent and the looks. He was present when Farida took the initial call. I presume that is all by design to make people suspicious of him.

Farida could be Bindra re-imagined.

Buckells is back and despite his incompetence he has risen to the rank of Detective Superintendent. Does that put him at a similar rank to Hastings now? He looks dodgy, more concerned about getting home or the politics of the situations rather than doing the paper work required to do the job properly.

Carl Banks a possible relative of Lee Banks from the previous series?

Nice to see Terry Boyle return, I wonder if Ryan will show up to kill him off while he's tucked away safe in approved premises.

The only character that really interests me so far is Chloe, purely because she reminds me of a character from the early series of Vera. The rest are more of the same. Ted is phoning in his lines, Steve is still popping pills and Kate is doing her own thing again, at least she hasn't been chucking out "Mate" every few minutes yet.

It's early days but it seemed stale and the episode just didn't have the 'Line of Duty' buzz about it for me despite the use of the backing track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Very interesting. That's like one of those secret level moments in Super Mario...
    The document name is 'Operation Easter Egg Hunt'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed that. Definitely a slower start than previous seasons but I wonder if that's maybe on account of the extra episode.

Did anyone else hear gunfire when they went into the apartment, I thought there was a lot of banging and assumed **** had gone sideways but obviously not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Good news. 9.6 million viewers last night compared to the finale of season 5's 9.1 million.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-56482757

Add in all the iPlayer figures from this week and that's an enormous audience. It's got dafter and dafter as it's gone on, still hugely entertaining but needs a few shocks this season to reinvigorate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

That's a cool little thing done by Jed

And would add to the speculation that
    Osbourne
    is Main H

The actor playing
    Osbourne
    has gravitas and pedigree, versus someone like Buckles who would ruin the show's entire legacy if he's Main H

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭trashcan

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Good point on the episode thread of the LOD sub Reddit

That could be a good shout. Kate could well be undercover. I haven’t re watched any of the previous series, so am struggling a bit to keep up with the past references and characters. Remembered the gang using the lad to keep the body in his freezer, but I wouldn’t have twigged it was the same guy. Suppose I need to re watch, but it’s a hell of a commitment.

I too thought of Jill Dando/Barrry George with the murdered journalist story, that must have been the inspiration for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

A grand opening episode. Nothing to leave you gasping for next Sunday night though.

Kelly Macdonald didn’t seem with it at all. Her performance felt very unnatural to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

A grand opening episode. Nothing to leave you gasping for next Sunday night though.

Kelly Macdonald didn’t seem with it at all. Her performance felt very unnatural to me.

I think we have to make some allowances for performances this season

It was filmed in the middle of the UK's insane Wave 1 of Covid

The amount of testing and extra protocol to pull it off would make a great Behind The Scenes video on YouTube in itself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I enjoyed the first episode, MacDonald did seem a bit wooden but I'll give her more time to get into it

I loved Steve and his "not this sh1t again" attitude as he was going through the motions but the look at the end when he finally got the go ahead to start an investigation, that look that said: this, this is why I do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BOHSBOHS

trashcan wrote: »
    That could be a good shout. Kate could well be undercover. I haven’t re watched any of the previous series, so am struggling a bit to keep up with the past references and characters. Remembered the gang using the lad to keep the body in his freezer, but I wouldn’t have twigged it was the same guy. Suppose I need to re watch, but it’s a hell of a commitment.

The terry boyle character was played by a different actor in the first 2 series so technically not the same guy..

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭pleh

Ted's great :) as usual.. they could banjax the whole thing. Aye ya whissht I need more :)
    Kate was a bit wooden. Steves gotten a bit chubby in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭General Toilet

I hope it improves. It was very average by LOD standards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭opus

Watched it this evening, had to pause early on to look up the TLA's, luckily not hard to find a list. Reasonable first episode, hopefully will pick up a bit for the rest of the series. I'm glad they weren't obsessing about 'H' straight from the off at least.

Advertisement