Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,905 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I'm gonna have to stay out of this thread for a few weeks. I love to save the episodes and watch it in two binges, first half of the series and then the rest.

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

It might be nothing, but one of DCI Tony Gates daughters in Season 1 was Chloe, and theres a new DC Chloe Bishop alongside Steve in Season 6. I could be clutching at straws though.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Spocker wrote: »
    It might be nothing, but one of DCI Tony Gates daughters in Season 1 was Chloe, and theres a new DC Chloe Bishop alongside Steve in Season 6. I could be clutching at straws though.. :pac:

That would be very typical of Jed's style

But I don't think those timelines match up do they? I think Gates' kid would be in her mid teens now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Enjoyed the first episode,
    had a giggle at this recap though

ExCSWrtWUAUXKNS?format=jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

ShineOn7 wrote: »

But I don't think those timelines match up do they? I think Gates' kid would be in her mid teens now

yeah it's 9 years since S1, I watched the first 2 eps yesterday and the older of the 2 kids appears to be about 8 or 9.

The Chloe in the new series seems to be mid-20s at least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Gates received his Officer of the Year award in 2012 (seen when Steve is reviewing Gates record), so 8 years ago from Season 6, set in Oct 2020. We're not told the ages of the children at the time, so who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very average and disappointing episode. Just setting things up I hope.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Excellent start have to say albeit one character I've never liked his Ted Hastings, I don't get the token Northern Irish element albeit I believe the creator is from there and filming done in Belfast. If tge North had anything to do with tge series, fair enough but it doesn't.

Which brings me onto Bloodlands, its astonishing the same creator of The line of duty could be responsible for such absolute S****, it was truely dreadful and James nesbit just awful, actually they all were.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

trashcan wrote: »
    Remembered the gang using the lad to keep the body in his freezer, but I wouldn’t have twigged it was the same guy. Suppose I need to re watch, but it’s a hell of a commitment.

The character of Terry Boyle was played by Elliott Rosen in Series 1, Tommy Jessup took over in Series 5 & is back this series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Excellent start have to say albeit one character I've never liked his Ted Hastings, I don't get the token Northern Irish element albeit I believe the creator is from there and filming done in Belfast. If the North had anything to do with the series, fair enough but it doesn't.

Which brings me onto Bloodlands, its astonishing the same creator of The line of duty could be responsible for such absolute S****, it was truly dreadful and James Nesbit just awful, actually they all were.

I must disagree, I LOVE Ted (I actually have been known to refer to LoD as "The Ted Show")

I agree Bloodlands was disappointing - Jed didn't write it though, only produced so that may be why. Jed Mercurio is not from Northern Ireland, it's filmed there and I think the "Tedisms" come a lot from Adrian Dunbar himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

LoD is filmed in Belfast.

Talisman wrote: »
    It's a nice Easter egg. The fact that Hastings wasn't invited to the meeting of the senior officers follows from it.

The episode was a slow starter by the show's standards and it seemed average at best and a rehash of what we have seen before.

The opening scene - convoy rerouted. That has happened twice in the series on both occasions it was due to a police officer colluding with the OCG. I assume that this time it's not going to be the case - DCI Davidson was acting out of genuine concern. It wouldn't at all surprise me to later learn that her mother was killed in such circumstances. The way she spoke of public safety echoed what Hastings had said to Steve Arnott about engaging John Corbett in the previous series.

Lomax has a touch of Cottan about him - his accent and the looks. He was present when Farida took the initial call. I presume that is all by design to make people suspicious of him.

Farida could be Bindra re-imagined.

Buckells is back and despite his incompetence he has risen to the rank of Detective Superintendent. Does that put him at a similar rank to Hastings now? He looks dodgy, more concerned about getting home or the politics of the situations rather than doing the paper work required to do the job properly.

Carl Banks a possible relative of Lee Banks from the previous series?

Nice to see Terry Boyle return, I wonder if Ryan will show up to kill him off while he's tucked away safe in approved premises.

The only character that really interests me so far is Chloe, purely because she reminds me of a character from the early series of Vera. The rest are more of the same. Ted is phoning in his lines, Steve is still popping pills and Kate is doing her own thing again, at least she hasn't been chucking out "Mate" every few minutes yet.

It's early days but it seemed stale and the episode just didn't have the 'Line of Duty' buzz about it for me despite the use of the backing track.

You raise a very interesting thought. Imagine Ryan, now junior cop, being sent to guard Terry officially, and as you say killing him off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Jofspring wrote: »
    I enjoyed it but the acronyms were absolute overkill, when Kate and your man (can't think of his name) were in his car they rattled off at least 20 of them. I hope that doesn't continue.

:D:D The BBC announcer even told us what CHIS meant at the end credits! :D

Excellent start have to say albeit one character I've never liked his Ted Hastings

Ah here

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What's the deal with the amount of locks on Kelly McDonald's gaff? Is it to keep someone out or in?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What's the deal with the amount of locks on Kelly McDonald's gaff? Is it to keep someone out or in?

Interesting

Never thought of it the other way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Well if it's to keep someone in, the locks won't be much use when she's not there as they can only be locked from the inside. I think there's some traumatic childhood backstory to explain the locks and her weird reaction to her mother's photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hollyworth

Having thought about this episode over the last few days... It was very underwhelming. If this was my first time watching the show it wouldn't make me want to watch it again. I'm only sticking with it because I know how good it can be.

Again, I think this show should have wrapped up last season. It was the perfect opportunity. Reveal who H is and end it there. But all that morse code nonsense was a leap too far. It stank of Mercurio/BBC desperately seeking to extend a story that had reached its natural conclusion.

A big thanks to all who recommended Unforgotten in this thread

It's the most addictive show I've seen since .... Line Of Duty

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,473 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is it still leaving Netflix at the end of the month? I don't want to rush through it but I can't find anything about it on Google.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

Started watching it last night as well and couldn’t turn it off . It’s gone off Netflix in another week or so apparently so gonna be a binge week in as much as possible .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

spurshero wrote: »
    Started watching it last night as well and couldn’t turn it off . It’s gone off Netflix in another week or so apparently so gonna be a binge week in as much as possible .
    Oh God..... how many episodes/series is it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Oh God..... how many episodes/series is it??
    Current season (season 4) is up to episode 5 on ITV. I assume it's the first 3 seasons that are on Netflix? If so there are six episodes per season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

She possibly has a stalker?

And she said to Farida that she was moving out when she collected her clothes. Handy then to have somewhere so ready-made to move into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Ah here

giphy.gif

OK, I take it back :)

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Is it still leaving Netflix at the end of the month? I don't want to rush through it but I can't find anything about it on Google.

March 30th for first two seasons and first week of April for s3. Just finished s3 tonight and thought it brilliant also, although a completely different animal from LOD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Excellent start have to say albeit one character I've never liked his Ted Hastings, I don't get the token Northern Irish element albeit I believe the creator is from there and filming done in Belfast.

Ah come on now Dempo, Hold your whisht!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Watched the first episode of season 6 last night

Seems to have ran it's course for me . Deja Vu from previous seasons are a the token new copper thrown in that could be bent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Watched the first episode of season 6 last night

Seems to have ran it's course for me . Deja Vu from previous seasons are a the token new copper thrown in that could be is definitely bent

FYP.

All a bit formulaic at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Seems to have ran it's course for me . Deja Vu from previous seasons are a the token new copper thrown in that could be bent

... Its a show about bent coppers...

Be a bit odd if they changed that format.

Advertisement