Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I'm watching Unforgotten so maybe I'm muddling it up with that.

Only seen the first episode and the body was found in Willesden so definitely a London base for that. I wasn't hugely impressed though a great cast. Worth sticking with?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭JimboJones99

CoBo55 wrote: »
    I think it's the big aggressive detective, I honestly can't remember his name he has a very strong accent, he was a bobby in peaky blinders. Sorry for being so vague.

He is dead now isnt he? He was killed by the police last season in the scene at the depot or something like I cant remember his name but it started with H!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Only seen the first episode and the body was found in Willesden so definitely a London base for that. I wasn't hugely impressed though a great cast. Worth sticking with?

The very first episode? Definitely worth sticking with. Very nicely paced, a lot of plain ole detective work but it comes together nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭cml387

East Midlands/Birmingham. Shot the first series there and though the city isn't named it's been implied from the beginning. I've not noticed any shots of London but you could be right.

Both Neil Morrisey and Craig Parkinson (Dot Cottan) had Birmingham accents which reinforces your point. Filming was done in Brum for S1 but moved to Belfast, according to Jed Mercurio they were so pleased with the reception they got and ease of filming that they stayed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

cml387 wrote: »
    Both Neil Morrisey and Craig Parkinson (Dot Cottan) had Birmingham accents which reinforces your point. Filming was done in Brum for S1 but moved to Belfast, according to Jed Mercurio they were so pleased with the reception they got and ease of filming that they stayed.

the move to belfast was for financial reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

Fitz* wrote: »
    Just to play Devil's advocate on the Kate looking up Ryan bit. Was that scene after she had asked him where does she know him from? Maybe she was just searching him to try re-jig her memory or is just being nosey about the new person in the office. I'd suspect she can't use facebook in the office!
    Yes. She asked him about whether they had worked together before just before the AC-12 team rolled in the first time. She was sitting at her desk with his file open on screen when they returned.

It also allows Adrian Dunbar to keep up to date with his "oul blather":D

the move to belfast was for financial reasons.

actually probably the real reason Plus the BBC like to encourage regional production.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Definitely. The second season in particular is fantastic and very thought provoking. That's what I like about Unforgotten, it does more than serve up a police procedural with a focus on whodunnit. Theres plenty of grey areas, ambiguities and moral dilemmas to let the characters grow into much more than cops and suspects and victims. Unfortunately, I can't access season 4. I've heard its excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭CoBo55

He is dead now isnt he? He was killed by the police last season in the scene at the depot or something like I cant remember his name but it started with H!

He could be it's so confusing especially when it's going back so far. Time will tell.... hopefully!!

• Advertisement

Several other Midlands accents there including Kate, Tony Gates, Maneet, Ryan, Commissioner Rohan Sindwhan and others in the offices.

Apparently maps of the area regularly end up on the screen but I'm not geeky enough to investigate that.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    He could be it's so confusing especially when it's going back so far. Time will tell.... hopefully!!

Hargreaves. Killed outside some warehouse/depot at the end of an episode in the last series or one before (I get confused). They pull the mask off his face as the final shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭MfMan

MfMan wrote: »
    The woman who plays Stephen Graham's widow, was she the woman in that TV ad a couple of years back as the mother of the kid who buys a doll in the toy shop because her friends are passing by, but then goes back in to exchange it after discussing it in the car? Nissan Juke ad I think.. "Little boxes" tune used as the jingle.

https://www.adworld.ie/2019/11/22/ad-of-the-week-in-association-with-adsmart-from-sky-nissan-juke-in-the-company-of-huskies/

Was too, Amy De Bhrun actress.

https://www.facebook.com/AmyDeBhrunOneWomanShows/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I found the first episode so boring that I just gave up there and then only to watch the second a few days later and have my mind completely changed. Well worth a go IMO.

I've heard here that it's leaving Netflix but I've not found a single source via google to confirm this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Hargreaves. Killed outside some warehouse/depot at the end of an episode in the last series or one before (I get confused). They pull the mask off his face as the final shot.

That episode was in the middle of Season 5, Episode 3, during the raid on the Eastfield Depot

I've heard here that it's leaving Netflix but I've not found a single source via google to confirm this.

It came up in small box in the corner when I watched S3 a few weeks ago that it was leaving April 6th. Now I believe the message has disappeared so maybe ther's been a change of plan.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It came up in small box in the corner when I watched S3 a few weeks ago that it was leaving April 6th.

Interesting. Season 3 is the only one on ITV Hub (with the current fourth season) so perhaps that's the only one that's leaving? I'm in the UK so not sure how much difference there is between the two countries' Netflix offerings.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

I found the first episode so boring that I just gave up there and then only to watch the second a few days later and have my mind completely changed. Well worth a go IMO.

A couple of weeks ago it showed on my Netflix screen that it was finishing shortly and I think that 31 March was the end date.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

A couple of weeks ago it showed on my Netflix screen that it was finishing shortly and I think that 31 March was the end date.

Yeah, it definitely was there but it has disappeared now so as someone else said, possibly the decision to remove it has changed. It's definitely well worth watching, we're in the middle of season 2 currently. The pace is much slower than LoD but it's very enjoyable viewing and imho much more interesting as every character in it has a different story which is slowly unravelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Well I haven't seen it at all anywhere else - nor the end credits, nor IMDB, nor Wikipedia (same for Neil Morrissey and the guy who played Hargreaves) but the first actor I thought of as soon as I saw Beard Guy at the end was Stephen Dillane (Stannis in GoT). I had it recorded and I rewound and paused it a few times. Watched Alex Rider with him in it recently too, and he's rocking a beard. I'm convinced it's him.

Also, Steve's new colleague Chloe who took over from Kate... remember Gates, the very first police officer to be investigated? Daughter called Chloe. :)

The mystery they won't let us figure out though is Davidson (good - prefer something to be intriguing right to the end).

It's so deliciously good - and I'm super envious of anyone who's only now watching it from the beginning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just listening to the latest podcast and they're thinking that one of the main characters will be getting killed off this season.. Will be interesting.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Just listening to the latest podcast and they're thinking that one of the main characters will be getting killed off this season.. Will be interesting.

Likely to be Steve if true. They're clearly showing Chloe Bishop as a younger alternative and the pill popping appears to be foreshadowing. That's if they're getting rid of anyone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Celchick wrote: »

Also, Steve's new colleague Chloe who took over from Kate... remember Gates, the very first police officer to be investigated? Daughter called Chloe. :)

Not sure if you saw an earlier post, but someone said that Gates's daughter would be too young to be a DC in 2020?

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    Not sure if you saw an earlier post, but someone said that Gates's daughter would be too young to be a DC in 2020?
    Aaah, fair enough - sorry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Celchick wrote: »
    Aaah, fair enough - sorry about that.

You could still be right though......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

Sorry if already mentioned but Buckles definitely interviewed Ryan (when he was a kid) in season one or two if I remember correctly?

Hard to know if his bumbling persona is real or if he is playing on it a bit and is in fact a bent copper? Or maybe he just doesn't remember?

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    You could still be right though......
    Sorry I missed the post (I'm officially a hypocrite as it annoys me when others do that :D) but yeah I dunno... if she was e.g. 13 in 2012, would 22 be too young to be a DC?

Ryan (the little sh1t!) was only about 10/11 in 2012 - could it take just two or three years to go from rank and file to detective if exceptionally good? All seems crazy young but maybe that's how it's done.

Chloe could be a red herring too though of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

BrentMused wrote: »
    Sorry if already mentioned but Buckles definitely interviewed Ryan (when he was a kid) in season one or two if I remember correctly?

Hard to know if his bumbling persona is real or if he is playing on it a bit and is in fact a bent copper? Or maybe he just doesn't remember?
    Your memory is correct. Buckles was brought in to replace Tony Gates in series 1 - Hilton would have overseen that move.
    - He let Cottan interrogate Hunter unaccompanied in the scene where it's revealed that Cottan is in fact the persona that AC-12 are seeking.
    - He let Ryan go instead of charging him for his role in the kidnap and torture of Steve Arnott.

In series 4 his lazy police work led to the Eastern European girl (forget her name) being implicated in the murder of Tim Ifield.

In series 6 he is quite happy to have a hands off approach to the biggest ongoing police investigation and was a bit put out that Terry Boyle wasn't charged with the murder so he could have an early evening.

It was revealed in series 2 that both Dryden and Denton served at Hillside : Hillside could be 'H'. Having an officer like Buckles overseeing proceedings at the station is very much to the benefit of the OCG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,511 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Talisman wrote: »
    Your memory is correct. Buckles was brought in to replace Tony Gates in series 1 - Hilton would have overseen that move.
    - He let Cottan interrogate Hunter unaccompanied in the scene where it's revealed that Cottan is in fact the persona that AC-12 are seeking.
    - He let Ryan go instead of charging him for his role in the kidnap and torture of Steve Arnott.

In series 4 his lazy police work led to the Eastern European girl (forget her name) being implicated in the murder of Tim Ifield.

In series 6 he is quite happy to have a hands off approach to the biggest ongoing police investigation and was a bit put out that Terry Boyle wasn't charged with the murder so he could have an early evening.

It was revealed in series 2 that both Dryden and Denton served at Hillside : Hillside could be 'H'. Having an officer like Buckles overseeing proceedings at the station is very much to the benefit of the OCG.

not forgetting it was Buckles that mucked up the warrant for the observation and told davidson to wait until she had better information from the CHIS before acting on it.

Advertisement