Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

gmisk wrote: »
    Yep same character, he had Jackie Lavery in his freezer, sure the fridge was found dumped with her blood in it this week

Yes thats what jogged my memory

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

There's actually a scene in Season 1 where Terry Boyle could have nipped the whole OCG thing in the bud

Shortly after Laverty's body is stored in his freezer he calls the cops and two community officers turn up

They ask if anyone broke in and he says no, I let them in

They ask if anything was stolen, he says crisps and Coke (because they ransacked this cupboards)

Terry then goes really quiet and the viewer knows he's trying to pluck up the courage to tell them what's in his freezer when the blonde woman officer, can't remember her name, gets impatient and makes out there's an emergency and they have to leave

A big what if from the very start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,255 ✭✭✭volchitsa

There's actually a scene in Season 1 where Terry Boyle could have nipped the whole OCG thing in the bud

Shortly after Laverty's body is stored in his freezer he calls the cops and two community officers turn up

They ask if anything was stolen, he says crisps and Coke (because they ransacked this cupboards)

Terry then goes really quiet and the viewer knows he's trying to pluck up the courage to tell them what's in his freezer when the blonde woman officer, can't remember her name, gets impatient and makes out there's an emergency and they have to leave

I'd forgotten that! (Maybe because it wasn't the same actor?)

Good spot - you picked your username well it seems, :)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Finished Season 1 last night (rewatch)
    I am so sorry i didn't rewatch it the week before S6 started
    I really think the last few episodes would have had more of an impact on me...like i didn't remember Ryan at all until i read it here! Didn't even remember Terry either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

I watched the first series last night and that scene struck me, I had totally forgotten about it. There were also a few other things that I noticed that didn't seem important years ago but could be instrumental in the series.

In the opening scene the Counter Terrorism Unit raided flat 59 instead of 56. When Steve went to flat 56 it was already empty. It was mentioned a few times that the operation wasn't properly setup, it was thrown together in an hour. Philip Osborne was the head of the unit and gave the Fahrenheit order to Steve. Despite Steve's testimony, there were no repercussions for any of the police officers involved in the killing at flat 59. Later in the series, Osbourne claimed that the 'terror cell' in Greek Lane became active in the same time frame that one from flat 56 went dark. We know that the group in Greek Lane were drug dealers who were providing a superior quality product to Tommy Hunter's lot, that's why they were killed. The original counter terrorism operation could possibly have been an attempt to shutdown the same drug dealers before they relocated. That would explain why the operation was executed so quickly. How this ties into the current series is that Osbourne is currently the Chief Constable of Central Police which I think means he's DCC Wise's boss.

Hilton mentioned to Kate that the police budget had been cut by 10% due to anti-terrorism. This might tie in with Gail Vella's investigation.

Derek Hilton served in AC for two years - he told Hastings this in the scene where he comes to AC-12 to confront Hastings regarding the questioning of Tony Gates's entire team about laddering. This may not be important but it was interesting that it was mentioned by him.

What are the chances that the whole series is tied up neatly for Steve and he gets the man responsible for him being booted out of counter terrorism in the very first episode of the show?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Such a good show, It's been years since I've seen the earlier seasons, I remember the down syndrome kid in an earlier season ?
    with the freezer ? did that happen ?

must catch up on netflix

They only have season five. RTE Player has them if you can tolerate all the ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm also beginning to think Osborne is in all of this. I didn't at first, I felt his character just wasn't prominent enough. But it would make sense as he was the first bent copper that we really heard about in the show, right at the beginning.

volchitsa wrote: »
    I'd forgotten that! (Maybe because it wasn't the same actor?)

Good spot - you picked your username well it seems, :)

Ah to be fair I started a rewatch not too long ago so the early seasons are relatively fresh

Finished season 3 last night and Urgent Exit Required, a stand out moment in the show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'm also beginning to think Osborne is in all of this. I didn't at first, I felt his character just wasn't prominent enough. But it would make sense as he was the first bent copper that we really heard about in the show, right at the beginning.

He even looks like someone who would be a bent copper! Just has that look about his face, so it's excellent casting there if it is him. I also have that feeling about DCC Andrea Wise when I look at her too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'm also beginning to think Osborne is in all of this

Osborne is 4th H/Main H imo. You don't bring back an actor like Owen Teale for the craic
    Urgent Exit Required, a stand out moment in the show

My fav moment of the show

In hindsight what follows is hilariously over the top, even for Line Of Duty. But it was excellent TV

• Advertisement

Fitz* wrote: »
    He even looks like someone who would be a bent copper! Just has that look about his face, so it's excellent casting there if it is him. I also have that feeling about DCC Andrea Wise when I look at her too.
    DCC Andrea Wise certainly has it in for Hastings.

Talisman wrote: »
    DCC Andrea Wise certainly has it in for Hastings.

To be fair Hastings has been walking a tight rope for some time, not only with the bag of cash he was found with but also:

Dot was acting as the Caddy for nearly two years while under his command, Denton mentions being in prison for 500-something days in season 3 - so that happened under his watch

Steve has acted very inappropriately - sleeping with witnesses and also acting in such a way that Denton was absolved of responsibility in Tommy Hunter's murder - also under Ted's watch

It may be that Wise merely thinks Ted is massively incompetent, so focused catching bent coppers that he pays little attention to things happening right under his nose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

To be fair Hastings has been walking a tight rope for some time, not only with the bag of cash he was found with but also:

Dot was acting as the Caddy for nearly two years while under his command, Denton mentions being in prison for 500-something days in season 3 - so that happened under his watch

Steve has acted very inappropriately - sleeping with witnesses and also acting in such a way that Denton was absolved of responsibility in Tommy Hunter's murder - also under Ted's watch

It may be that Wise merely thinks Ted is massively incompetent, so focused catching bent coppers that he pays little attention to things happening right under his nose

And how many has he actually caught? Don't they (almost) all end up dead? Only one I can recall being prosecuted is Roz Huntley (Thandie Newton). Denton was acquitted. Not a great success rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    And how many has he actually caught? Don't they (almost) all end up dead? Only one I can recall being prosecuted is Roz Huntley (Thandie Newton). Denton was acquitted. Not a great success rate.

Dead is still better than undiscovered though in any event.

To be fair Hastings has been walking a tight rope for some time, not only with the bag of cash he was found with
    I think Ted is a dead man walking. His good deed of giving Steph Corbett the envelope of money is going to finish him.

When she showed up at the AC-12 building she was anxious because she herself is under investigation.
    Ted: Steph, what are you doing here?
    Steph: You promised you'd call me back. It's HMRC.
    Ted: WHISPERS: Not here, not here, let's go somewhere private.

That's the conversation that roused Steve's suspicions and why he went to visit Steph in the first place. The follow on from that was Ted organised drug tests so he has screwed them both.

I think Ted is a dead man walking. His good deed of giving Steph Corbett the envelope of money is going to finish him.

That and the "previously on Line of Duty" recaps before some episodes reminding us that Ted is on a final written warning

Perhaps adding to more speculation that this is the last Season

No Ted = no Line Of Duty. He's too great and big a character to replace

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    That and the "previously on Line of Duty" recaps before some episodes reminding us that Ted is on a final written warning

Perhaps adding to more speculation that this is the last Season

No Ted = no Line Of Duty. He's too great and big a character to replace
    I had thought in series 4 he was going to be forced out in disgrace and Carmichael would take his place and then in series 5 the dynamic duo of Kate and Steve would reveal the real villain of the piece and clear Ted's name.

The show has been very good at portraying how the job takes a toll on the lives and relationships of the police officers. It would be fitting that Ted is undone by an error of judgement and it's not like such a thing would be out of character for him.

He had his property investment debacle which led to the separation from Roisin. He failed to follow protocol and disclose his financial situation to his superiors. But for the intervention of Denton, he would have enabled Dot to frame Steve as 'The Caddy'. He revealed to Lee Banks that John Corbett was an undercover police officer. He gave Corbett's widow an envelope full of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,130 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I’m H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Fitz* wrote: »
    Osborne is 4th H/Main H imo. You don't bring back an actor like Owen Teale for the craic
    Surely Osborne - being the very first dodgy police officer - would be too obvious for H? I've always thought he was involved though. Pure ruthless prick at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

When she showed up at the AC-12 building she was anxious because she herself is under investigation.

That's the conversation that roused Steve's suspicions and why he went to visit Steph in the first place. The follow on from that was Ted organised drug tests so he has screwed them both.

I don't really get the whole Hasting/Steph/Steve storyline tbh. If Hastings gave Steph 50K in cash in an envelope and said envelope is now in her attic, why would HMRC be sniffing around - how would they have any inkling of cash in her attic? The visits from Steve also seemed a bit forced to me - he travelled all the way to Liverpool for a quick hello in the first visit and even in the second he was ready to leave after only a couple of minutes before the invitation to stay!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I don't really get the whole Hasting/Steph/Steve storyline tbh. If Hastings gave Steph 50K in cash in an envelope and said envelope is now in her attic, why would HMRC be sniffing around - how would they have any inkling of cash in her attic? The visits from Steve also seemed a bit forced to me - he travelled all the way to Liverpool for a quick hello in the first visit and even in the second he was ready to leave after only a couple of minutes before the invitation to stay!
    Not to mention, she wakes him up as she was bringing the kids to school, and he says "oh ****, I've to get to work" - half way across the country :D

I'm guessing he was a bit late that day......

Steph's husband was involved in organized crime and there may be some suspicion that he had funneled money to her before his demise.

Steve asked Steph if she had sought financial advice, she did not give the impression that she had done so. She appears to be living beyond her means and the investing in a hairdresser business is a convenient cover for money laundering. In series 1, that was the very thing that Steve uncovered in relation to Laverty Property Holdings and his investigation panicked Jackie Laverty and later Tommy Hunter.

If Steph invested a lump sum of money in a business, that will be shown in the accounts and she will need to be able to account for how she came to be in possession of the money in the first place.

The HMRC may not know about the money in the attic but they could suspect that she has money that she cannot account for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't think there is any mention of where LOD is actually based though, or where Steph lives?

They could be living in the same city. That's how i took it as being anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Degag wrote: »
    I don't think there is any mention of where LOD is actually based though, or where Steph lives?

Steph is in Liverpool.

They are next level at spotting things on the LOD sub Reddit
    In the copy of the article about Gail Vella, it is said that the previous DI before Davidson on the case was ‘Billy McTulloch’.

Then when Kate and Steve were looking at Ryan’s record it showed that he was trained by (or his mentor was) a ‘R McTulloch’

As we know, nothing is by accident. So does anyone know if they are mentioned at all in any other series?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,012 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I think there's a bit of hidden meaning from Steve.

He wanted to gain her trust so he could go looking into her more and find out what she's doing with Hastings. It was more than just a hello, it was the opening into opening a relationship with her, with view of getting some more information into what really happened between Corbett & Hastings & the OCG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Degag wrote: »

I believe it’s commonly accepted that the show is based in a midlands UK City, e.g. Birmingham, although it’s not actually named. So that’s a good 2 hour motorway trek to Liverpool.

https://lineofduty.fandom.com/wiki/Billy_McTulloch
    Billy McTulloch is a Detective Chief Inspector within Central Police. He was the original SIO on Operation Lighthouse.

It is unknown if he is related to R. McTulloch, a training officer at Ryton-on-Dunsmore Police Training Centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Has been well covered on podcasts.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,849 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Where does it suggest she lives in another city? Her visit to Ted and Steve's two visits to her haven't been portrayed as lengthy journeys. Same in the last season. Pretty sure she also lives in Birmingham.

Advertisement