Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,263 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    No spoiler released for next week. The trailer people are referring to was shown on the BBC in late Feb/early March. There were several posts about it here so pretty fair to assume that most fans had already seen either the trailer or posts.

I haven't seen it, and if it's a trailer with a spoiler in it about an episode that hasn't yet been broadcast, then it's a spoiler which shouldn't be posted here.
    That said, I think it was here that there was a partial spoiler last week that came from the subtitles which I hadn't seen at the time either.

I wish people would be a little more careful.

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

volchitsa wrote: »
    I haven't seen it, and if it's a trailer with a spoiler in it about an episode that hasn't yet been broadcast, then it's a spoiler which shouldn't be posted here.
    That said, I think it was here that there was a partial spoiler last week that came from the subtitles which I hadn't seen at the time either.

I wish people would be a little more careful.

It was posted here in late February, with no complaints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I hope if Nesbitt makes an appearance in this series that he got acting classes between filming Bloodlands and LoD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Tazium

They could've been put there on the recorded versions after the real time viewers finished watching

Did they add any blood too maybe? Real time viewing there wasn’t a drop despite both fatalities and Steve saying something about high powered weapons GSW.

Wife is flipping from Hastings being H and then away to someone more aligned to general theory.
    I think I’d be annoyed by now if Hastings turned out to be H but there’s still unanswered stuff there and he’s very very enthusiastic about getting the bent coppers, could that be deflection to clear a necessary path for OCG?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

They found the factory and then get shut down by the top man. If that doesn't tell you enough to not suspect Hastings then nothing will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Hastings is definately (see wot I did there) not 'H'. I reckon he gave the widow the money as she is a now a single mother and he's got a famously soft spot for women. Plus the guilt he may feel after he himself ordered Steve to shoot & kill her undercover-but-gone-rogue and since murdered husband.

Also the bean collector shutting down Hastings for blowing the budget....has a bit of a point. 24 cops needed per surveilled target in this day and age??? Then again looking at our Gardai shenanigans to clock up OT, I guess it's not much different

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

HiGlo wrote: »
    Eh, slept with his brother wife???? duh! hahaha

That you Ryan Giggs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

appledrop wrote: »
    Just reading there about Carmichael background in series.

I forgot she acussed Ted of informing Lee Banks in prison that John Corbett was a police officer and got him killed as a result the next day.

Then Lee Banks said same tonight.

It could be a decoy but really hope not going to be case that Ted is involved!

Both Banks (last episode) and Liz McQueen (in season 5) state that Ted told them they had a mole but not who it was

McQueen then said they identified Corbett because only him and her knew about the meet at the Palasades Shopping Centre which was under surveillance - when she saw it was under surveillance she knew Corbett was the mole

Kate should have pulled the trigger immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

If Hastings is H it would be some load of gimmicky, contrived nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

I hope if Nesbitt makes an appearance in this series that he got acting classes between filming Bloodlands and LoD.

I'm guessing atrocious English accent, and even plasticier hair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

his face looked plastic in the photo they used. It looked like a photofit.

Yes but the significance of it wasn't the same back then - nobody knew that it was set after the shoot out so how could they complain?

And if it hadn't been mentioned again now, I wouldn't have remembered it at all - that's if I even saw it at the time (I generally don't watch trailers, for exactly that reason)

Reem Alsalem UNSR Violence Against Women and Girls@UNSRVAW "Very concerned about these statements by the IOC at Paris2024 There are multiple international treaties and national constitutions that specifically refer to#women and their fundamental rights to equality and non-discrimination, so the world has a pretty good idea of what women -and men for that matter- are. Also, how can one assess whether fairness and justice has been reached if we do not know who we are being fair and just to?"

Never heard Nesbitt doing an English accent, but I was completely fooled by Martin Compston's English accent. When you hear him in real life you can sort of tell that that's his real accent but nevertheless, his English one is good enough for me.

(Although maybe an English person would think differently, TBF.)

But hopefully Nesbitt can do a decent English accent too. Look at English actors doing American accents in US series, though the opposite never seems to work nearly as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Is Nesbitt really that bad? I haven't seen him in anything.
    Well I checked his IMDB and see that he was in The Hobbit, which I have seen, but I don't remember him in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

But back then we didn't know it was going to ruin a cliffhanger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Keyzer wrote: »
    I think you ballsed it up yourself sonny.

Anyone who goes on an internet forum before watching the episode is just asking for trouble.

Mother of God.

The user spoiled a future episode. Which is against Charter

Mother of God indeed
    Just to be completely clear on the use of spoilers:

- If a thread title has the word "Spoilers" in it, then it is OK to discuss the most recent episode (or older) without using [ spoiler ] tags.

- If you have news about a future episode, then most people don't want to know (no, really - they prefer to be surprised by major plot developments and twists).

- If you feel it should be posted anyway, please use [ spoiler ] tags (to give people the option of reading them or not). Also contextualise the spoiler by saying what it's about outside of the spoiler tag (Spoiler about Season Finale, Spoiler about Character Exit, etc.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

Never heard Nesbitt doing an English accent, but I was completely fooled by Martin Compston's English accent. When you hear him in real life you can sort of tell that that's his real accent but nevertheless, his English one is good enough for me.

(Although maybe an English person would think differently, TBF.)

But hopefully Nesbitt can do a decent English accent too. Look at English actors doing American accents in US series, though the opposite never seems to work nearly as well.
    Saw giving out on Twitter about the accent by the woman who plays Corbett's widow. Liverpool accent is very easy to make a mess of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Is Nesbitt really that bad? I haven't seen him in anything.
    Well I checked his IMDB and see that he was in The Hobbit, which I have seen, but I don't remember him in it.

The last thing I remember him being okay in was "The Missing."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭secman

Saw giving out on Twitter about the accent by the woman who plays Corbett's widow. Liverpool accent is very easy to make a mess of.

She's an Irish actress, sure there must be several accents in Liverpool , there are several in Dublin.

• Advertisement

Yes that's what I was thinking - I wonder whether regional accents are harder to get right than more well-known ones that we're all exposed to all the time. Like, everyone recognises a Liverpool accent, but you don't hear it nearly as often as you hear a generic London/southern England one, so is that why English people didn't complain about Compston's unplaceable English accent but did complain about Steph's Liverpool one? (Don't know the actress' name, but even I thought her Liverpool accent was a bit dodgy, and I couldnt do a Liverpool accent to save my life).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭davetherave

purifol0 wrote: »
    Also the bean collector shutting down Hastings for blowing the budget....has a bit of a point. 24 cops needed per surveilled target in this day and age??? Then again looking at our Gardai shenanigans to clock up OT, I guess it's not much different

Not unrealistic for 24 hour direct surveillance to be fair.

Three eight hour rotas. Three or four pairs of coppers handing the subject over and back to each other. You're going to need multiple vehicles to avoid the "Hmmm that red ford focus has been behind me for a good while, I'm going to make two left turns to see if it follows me" moments or even just if the subject car goes through an orange light, do you floor it to get through thereby drawing attention to yourself or do you let the 2nd car pick up the tail.

If you have Authorised Firearms Officers then you are taking them off of patrol so that needs to made up by someone else.

You going to need to have an operation commander with some authority, so that's a Sergeant or an Inspector tied up.

The last thing I remember him being okay in was "The Missing."

He was great in The Missing and of course in Cold Feet, but his latest stuff has been too much "eyebrow acting" to show "a man in great pain". I think because people were blown away by that in The Missing he then made it his signature style and you can have too much of a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

1ul85oxrw4u61.jpg

Also this

Carmichael enters to the Imperial March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

If Hastings is H it would be some load of gimmicky, contrived nonsense.

I’m very confident he won’t be. It would ruin the series. It’s very much reliant on the three leads being clean (if not totally squeaky.)

purifol0 wrote: »
    Hastings is definately (see wot I did there) not 'H'. I reckon he gave the widow the money as she is a now a single mother and he's got a famously soft spot for women. Plus the guilt he may feel after he himself ordered Steve to shoot & kill her undercover-but-gone-rogue and since murdered husband.

Ted visited Lee Banks in prison and told him that Corbett was a cop. Corbett tortured Ted's wife so that was his revenge. Then out of guilt he gave the money to Steph.

The bean collector is more than that, she's DCS Carmichael and is evil personified :D Carmichael will be taking over from Ted.

razorblunt wrote: »

Then they had the ridiculous stand off with the double shot, could see it coming. It will be Ryan getting shot twice, how that gets Jo off the hook I don't know as she set Kate right up. That was until Ryan decided to go into villain monologue for no good reason.

I still think it’s pretty compelling viewing, but I have to agree with those points. On previous form, why wouldn’t Ryan have just approached Kate from behind and shot her in the head? But no, he has to go all Bond villain and indulge in completely unnecessary small talk. For that reason alone I’d put money on him being dead and Kate surviving. They could have written it better, for instance, Ryan creeping up on Kate, but Jo has a last minute fit of conscience and shouts out to warn Kate, she turns, Ryan misses his shot and she draws her gun and nails him.

Ted visited Lee Banks in prison and told him that Corbett was a cop. Corbett tortured Ted's wife so that was his revenge. Then out of guilt he gave the money to Steph.

The bean collector is more than that, she's DCS Carmichael and is evil personified :D Carmichael will be taking over from Ted.

Ted also felt guilty about Corbetts mother, who was an informer for him in his RUC days, so that could be why he gave Steph the money. He felt responsible for Corbett being orphaned. Doesn’t have to mean he gave him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He was great in The Missing and of course in Cold Feet, but his latest stuff has been too much "eyebrow acting" to show "a man in great pain". I think because people were blown away by that in The Missing he then made it his signature style and you can have too much of a good thing.
    He is awful in that really useless recent show bloodlands (despite it being produced by Jed Mercurio)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

trashcan wrote: »
    I still think it’s pretty compelling viewing, but I have to agree with those points. On previous form, why wouldn’t Ryan have just approached Kate from behind and shot her in the head? But no, he has to go all Bond villain and indulge in completely unnecessary small talk. For that reason alone I’d put money on him being dead and Kate surviving. They could have written it better, for instance, Ryan creeping up on Kate, but Jo has a last minute fit of conscience and shouts out to warn Kate, she turns, Ryan misses his shot and she draws her gun and nails him.

What I think happens, based on absolutely nothing and it may be shot out of the water by more informed posters than me.

Kate shot, not dead but in hospital in coma, Jo calls for back up, claims she was meeting Kate regarding the leak, no one else knew they’d be there except Steve. Carmichael has Steve investigated, finds he’s failed a drugs test, been refusing to meet Oc Health, thinks he’s being leaned on by someone in the OCG because of his addiction. End of this season ends up with Steve in prison.

Advertisement