Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Line of Duty (BBC) **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭trashcan

volchitsa wrote: »
    Never heard Nesbitt doing an English accent, but I was completely fooled by Martin Compston's English accent. When you hear him in real life you can sort of tell that that's his real accent but nevertheless, his English one is good enough for me.

(Although maybe an English person would think differently, TBF.)

But hopefully Nesbitt can do a decent English accent too. Look at English actors doing American accents in US series, though the opposite never seems to work nearly as well.

Had no idea Martin Compton was Scottish until well after I saw him in LOD. As for Nesbitt, Irish actors can be a bit hit and miss with accents. Cillian Murphy is good in Peaky Blinders I think, Colin Farrell does a pretty good American accent, but Liam Neeson is dodgy with accents, even Brendan Gleason, who I really rate, can be a bit iffy, although his Trump was ok in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Kate should have pulled the trigger immediately.

That was ridiculous. In that scenario you'd have plugged the other one in an instant - just like the 2 armed cops did at the warehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I hope that Carmichael is not going to ride on the coat tails of AC12 resolving all this. I'd like to see her get her throat cut by Ryan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

volchitsa wrote: »
    Yes that's what I was thinking - I wonder whether regional accents are harder to get right than more well-known ones that we're all exposed to all the time. Like, everyone recognises a Liverpool accent, but you don't hear it nearly as often as you hear a generic London/southern England one, so is that why English people didn't complain about Compston's unplaceable English accent but did complain about Steph's Liverpool one? (Don't know the actress' name, but even I thought her Liverpool accent was a bit dodgy, and I couldnt do a Liverpool accent to save my life).
    Oh yeah I'd say so. All we hear is the generic accents but there are nuances we probably can't pick up on without sufficient exposure to them. Same for folk hearing Irish accents.

Her accent sounds pretty "stage Liverpool" indeed.
    ShineOn7 wrote: »
    1ul85oxrw4u61.jpg

Also this

Carmichael enters to the Imperial March.

That works. As would the wicked witch music from Wizard of Oz:

https://youtu.be/r4kiXh8YOzk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Talisman

duffman13 wrote: »
    I actually thought it was a set up too. Seemed very low key and quick given all the other raids we've seen previously
    I think it was low key because of the restrictions that were in place when that segment was filmed.

Attention to little details were lacking in parts of the episode which I have put down to having to work within the parameters of the restrictions that were in place at the time.

For example, there is a continuity error in the scene where they raid the first workshop - an AFO officer disappears from the scene in the time the officers behind Kate and Lomax take a handful of steps. Normally this would be corrected but it didn't in this case. It's a little detail that highlights the production limitations the crew faced when filming of the series resumed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭purifol0

Not unrealistic for 24 hour direct surveillance to be fair.

Three eight hour rotas. Three or four pairs of coppers handing the subject over and back to each other. You're going to need multiple vehicles to avoid the "Hmmm that red ford focus has been behind me for a good while, I'm going to make two left turns to see if it follows me" moments or even just if the subject car goes through an orange light, do you floor it to get through thereby drawing attention to yourself or do you let the 2nd car pick up the tail.

If you have Authorised Firearms Officers then you are taking them off of patrol so that needs to made up by someone else.

You going to need to have an operation commander with some authority, so that's a Sergeant or an Inspector tied up.

What year do you think it is?

Drones for visuals and tracking, A/V bugs for listening on premises. Every one of the crims has phones, sometimes multiple - they basically walk around with a wiretap and location tracker on them at all times. Wait til they hear about google location history!

There is a reason the US funds the NSA so much you know. Its way more effective than this 1980's stakeout bull****.

How many Gardai have comp sci degrees again? Any Certified Ethical Hackers among them? Plenty of em got 5 D's in the leaving cert & write everything on paper only. The most they know about hi tech comms is joining a whats app group.

I love the show but its embarrassing to see them radio-ing in license plates when ANPR systems in other countries have existed for 20 years, and using signatures for everything including taking out firearms.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭HiGlo

I think Steve is supposed to be looking a little "rough" as he's trying to balance pain management, additction and his job... Plus I have assumed he's been spooked since the drug testing so trying to maybe wean himself off a bit so perhaps a bit of withdrawl thrown in.....

I agree with whatawaster re Carmichael I think she is super professional and her outsider view of AC-12 is that they've had compromised officers in their midst, seem to be slowly bumbling along making little progress, and there's been lots of deaths connected to their cases etc.... I think she's just a puppet of Osbourne and all too willing to basically show Ted how to do his job....

Re Chloe, I paid attention more to her reactions/camera time this episode but not convinced there's anything significant about her. I think she's a new officer just taking it all in and watching what's going on etc. Same with Chris. Don't think there's anything with him. I don't think there's often been big "surprise" discoveries of people being bent, it's generally been shown to us as viewers before it becomes clearly part of the story....

I don't think Ted is H or corrupt in any way. I agree with the poster that said he gave Steph the money because he felt guilty and that's essentially what Steve has concluded now too after speaking to Banks in prison....

Also I think Ted just referred to Kate as "his" officer because he feels a loyalty to her and also because while she's not an AC-12 member any more she is working at feeding information to them so while not planted by them, she is working "undercover" for them......

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    No spoiler released for next week. The trailer people are referring to was shown on the BBC in late Feb/early March. There were several posts about it here so pretty fair to assume that most fans had already seen either the trailer or posts.
    What was posted on boards last night wasn't a trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,512 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

purifol0 wrote: »
    What year do you think it is?

Drones for visuals and tracking, A/V bugs for listening on premises. Every one of the crims has phones, sometimes multiple - they basically walk around with a wiretap and location tracker on them at all times. Wait til they hear about google location history!

There is a reason the US funds the NSA so much you know. Its way more effective than this 1980's stakeout bull****.

How many Gardai have comp sci degrees again? Any Certified Ethical Hackers among them? Plenty of em got 5 D's in the leaving cert & write everything on paper only. The most they know about hi tech comms is joining a whats app group.

I love the show but its embarrassing to see them radio-ing in license plates when ANPR systems in other countries have existed for 20 years, and using signatures for everything including taking out firearms.

a couple of things. phone taps don't tell you who they are meeting. modern criminals are also smart enough to leave their phones behind when actually committing crimes. there was a real life case shown on tv recently where they checked the GPS data of the suspects and found they were nowhere near the crime scene at the time of the crime. It was only by chance that they found public CCTV of the gang meeting up beforehand and giving all of their phones to an accomplice. and the police do have ANPR but not in every car, especially a detectives car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

HiGlo wrote: »
    I think Steve is supposed to be looking a little "rough" as he's trying to balance pain management, additction and his job... Plus I have assumed he's been spooked since the drug testing so trying to maybe wean himself off a bit so perhaps a bit of withdrawl thrown in.....

I agree with whatawaster re Carmichael I think she is super professional and her outsider view of AC-12 is that they've had compromised officers in their midst, seem to be slowly bumbling along making little progress, and there's been lots of deaths connected to their cases etc.... I think she's just a puppet of Osbourne and all too willing to basically show Ted how to do his job....

Re Chloe, I paid attention more to her reactions/camera time this episode but not convinced there's anything significant about her. I think she's a new officer just taking it all in and watching what's going on etc. Same with Chris. Don't think there's anything with him. I don't think there's often been big "surprise" discoveries of people being bent, it's generally been shown to us as viewers before it becomes clearly part of the story....

I don't think Ted is H or corrupt in any way. I agree with the poster that said he gave Steph the money because he felt guilty and that's essentially what Steve has concluded now too after speaking to Banks in prison....

Also I think Ted just referred to Kate as "his" officer because he feels a loyalty to her and also because while she's not an AC-12 member any more she is working at feeding information to them so while not planted by them, she is working "undercover" for them......

Well that's no fun :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Talisman wrote: »
    What was posted on boards last night wasn't a trailer.

Was it not the official BBC pre series promo, ie a trailer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭MfMan

Kate should have pulled the trigger immediately.

Yes. Take him down with a shoulder shot. She had the advantage that she could fire first and stand a good chance of not having to kill; he was wearing body armour wasn't he?

Fitz* wrote: »
    The 2 AFOs did shoot them pretty quickly too. The 2 OCG members didn't appear to have any weapons on them. Which seemed a bit strange.

But that also could also be just looking into it too much.
    There was definitely a hand gun at the foot of the victim on the right (the man from the van).

550746.png

MfMan wrote: »
    Yes. Take him down with a shoulder shot. She had the advantage that she could fire first and stand a good chance of not having to kill; he was wearing body armour wasn't he?
    The show has highlighted the issue of workshopped weapons already. There is a degree of risk involved in their use. How accurate is Ryan's modified weapon likely to be in comparison to Kate's service weapon?

What impressed me most about the scene was that Kate finally used the F word. :D

a couple of things. phone taps don't tell you who they are meeting. modern criminals are also smart enough to leave their phones behind when actually committing crimes. there was a real life case shown on tv recently where they checked the GPS data of the suspects and found they were nowhere near the crime scene at the time of the crime. It was only by chance that they found public CCTV of the gang meeting up beforehand and giving all of their phones to an accomplice. and the police do have ANPR but not in every car, especially a detectives car.

The Gards use a helicopter for recon and tracking. A large extremely loud, expensive machine with zero stealth ability that's also incredibly high maintenance. How many Gards have drone licences and do they even have a plan for drone use yet? Private sector decades ahead again on this matter as usual. Crims are more enterprising than our highly paid Gardai and Prison officers - drones drop drugs and phones over prison wall for one extremely embarrassing example:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30972371.html

As for phones, the use of computers as anonymous comms devices is very common in the show. In the real world you are being tracked like mad, and the phone itself will have a record of when it wasn't in use. So if they leave em at home, they better have had someone else use em in the exact same way. Digital forensics may not make for sexy TV, but if they can make biological forensics sexy then maybe hire an expert for the cyber side and I wouldnt cringe as much whenever a main character tentatively opens a laptop.

In real life the Gards here objected to a finger print clock in scanner so they couldn't continue to abuse overtime. Hows the logging & auditing policy on the old PULSE system doing - members still logging in to delete penalty points and checking up on the ex's eh?

IT is under utilised by design over here, policing has suffered for it in general and the upshot is that organized crime gangs have been running rings around them.

Oh and lest we forget the ( admittedly fantastically dramatic) beep at the start of the interviews is because they still use TAPE RECORDERS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just watching Have I got news for you here with Adrian Dunbar hosting.

He is very good, plenty of LOD references.

Mother of God!

purifol0 wrote: »
    The Gards use a helicopter for recon and tracking. A large extremely loud, expensive machine with zero stealth ability that's also incredibly high maintenance. How many Gards have drone licences and do they even have a plan for drone use yet? Private sector decades ahead again on this matter as usual. Crims are more enterprising than our highly paid Gardai and Prison officers - drones drop drugs and phones over prison wall for one extremely embarrassing example:
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30972371.html

As for phones, the use of computers as anonymous comms devices is very common in the show. In the real world you are being tracked like mad, and the phone itself will have a record of when it wasn't in use. So if they leave em at home, they better have had someone else use em in the exact same way. Digital forensics may not make for sexy TV, but if they can make biological forensics sexy then maybe hire an expert for the cyber side and I wouldnt cringe as much whenever a main character tentatively opens a laptop.

In real life the Gards here objected to a finger print clock in scanner so they couldn't continue to abuse overtime. Hows the logging & auditing policy on the old PULSE system doing - members still logging in to delete penalty points and checking up on the ex's eh?

IT is under utilised by design over here, policing has suffered for it in general and the upshot is that organized crime gangs have been running rings around them.

Oh and lest we forget the ( admittedly fantastically dramatic) beep at the start of the interviews is because they still use TAPE RECORDERS

take your nonsense elsewhere https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1023

Talisman wrote: »
    The show has highlighted the issue of workshopped weapons already. There is a degree of risk involved in their use. How accurate is Ryan's modified weapon likely to be in comparison to Kate's service weapon?

What impressed me most about the scene was that Kate finally used the F word. :D

at that distance an unrifled musket would do the job.

Anyone else notice Steve's bad back only flairs up when he's romantically entangled and not say when he's in a car crash or fire fight. For a man who wears 3 piece suits every day & drives a company car he certainly hasn't had much luck with the ladies down the seasons.

At least he has been partnered up with the worlds most efficient investigator. Your one is unreal at the old looking up records and advancing the plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Lockheed

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Some serious Sherlock Holmes types on Reddit LOD again

From Season 5, when they were trying to trace who was communicating to the laptop

It was said tonight that Thurwell (James C Nessbit) is in Spain

Uyxxkaz.jpeg

Isn't spain like the go-to place for all exiled English (and Irish) dodgy-type people?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,909 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have a feeling that Kate has got shot but it's not lethal.
    That'd mean that Ted gets his budget back for surveillance etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,980 ✭✭✭Degag

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have a feeling that Kate has got shot but it's not lethal.
    That'd mean that Ted gets his budget back for surveillance etc.

I'd imagine his budget wouldn't be dependent on Kate being shot or not seeing that Ryan, the surveillance target, will be confirmed bent.

Lockheed wrote: »
    Isn't spain like the go-to place for all exiled English (and Irish) dodgy-type people?
    Yes.

Spain remains global crime hub and haven for fugitives (Irish Times, 2016)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Good season so far. I do cringe everytime the 'bent cooper's expression is used and the show of absolute disgust on the person as they say it. You would think in reality it's simply a job. There is no need to immediately hate the bent copper. Surely you first need to assess the background of the case. It's just all a bit too emotional without due cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Lockheed wrote: »

Yes, but the English dodgy type people now have to get a long term visa or residence permit if they want to stay there. It would be great if the suspect had to leave Spain because his 90 days was up after Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Yes, but the English dodgy type people now have to get a long term visa or residence permit if they want to stay there. It would be great if the suspect had to leave Spain because his 90 days was up after Brexit.

Given the real life cases that JM is referencing this series, I wouldn’t be at all surprised if something like this came up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭Wallet Inspector

A series about Stephen Lawrence actually began on BBC earlier.

The case in Line of Duty doesn't just refer to Stephen's but also that of Christopher Alder: https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/line-dutys-poignant-tribute-stephen-23938146

Stephen was murdered by a gang of scum. Christopher died in police custody - those uniformed scum laughed at him and made monkey sounds while he fought for his life... ;-/

And got acquitted plus the thousands of pounds in "damages" on top of their pensions. :mad:

I was very aware of the Stephen Lawrence case - but hadn't heard of Christopher. The poor lads and their loved ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kate's grand. They'd have ramped up the kid she never sees if anything serious was to happen to her.

Not if they were in residence before Brexit. The Spanish authorities are selective about when and where the rules are enforced. The political regions along the Mediterranean coast are particularly negligent because it benefits the local economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

There was no 100k in the hotel room, the OCG gave Corbett's mrs the money and she was there at AC12 when Steve saw her, to tell Ted about it.

Moffatt was instructed by the OCG to tell the police it was 100k he gave to Ted, when it wasn't, so as to place suspicion on Ted.

That's my theory

Advertisement