Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Largest on-land seizure of drugs in the history of the state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭cristoir

There'll be a surge in shootings as a result of this I'd imagine. The blame game will now begin internally in whatever gang/gangs where involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/drugs-dublin-kildare.html

Fair play to the Gardai on this one.

Middle-classs drug users might have to pay a little more for their fix.

Not just the middle class. And it won't effect price so much, demand just won't be met. Also drugs are great fun. Drinking and smoking regularly is worse for you than occasionally taking MDMA or Coke or having the odd spliff. Don't be so innocent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Geekness1234

I assumed Cocaine lived and died with the "Celtic Tiger"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Fantastic news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A 42-year-old Nigerian man was arrested in the Tallaght area

men in custody are very significant people in terms of the criminality they have been involved in.

Should be deported when his sentence is over

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Drugs are a scourge, Gardai should be given more resources to tackle the gangsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Shryke wrote: »
    Not just the middle class. And it won't effect price so much, demand just won't be met. Also drugs are great fun. Drinking and smoking regularly is worse for you than occasionally taking MDMA or Coke or having the odd spliff. Don't be so innocent.

Errr.......ok Shryke :P

Oh...supply, demand, basic economics, etc.....don't get me started :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hehe joint operation.

Cool sunglasses. Coke/pills/whatever that I can get if I want is at the same price it always is. Some guys might try to rip you off but it doesn't waver much. Drugs might get scarce but the price doesn't go up when they do.
    I know what I'm talking about. This isn't The Wire. 99% of people who use drugs are perfectly regular people, not itchy junkies that will pay through the nose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

at least it was only the cocaine seized

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its good that they are seizing such quantaties of drugs,it means their task force is working,but the thing is i dont think these types of seizures are regular,and drugs on the street can be bought regularly so they are not seizing them all from coming in to ireland..

there should be more gards employed,i think the idea from our government to freeze garda recruitment is madness..

there should be loads of gard recruited to tackle all this crime from drugs and whatever else..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Thats probably a small pallet of cocaine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Bril news. I wonder will anybody say it was a decoy?:rolleyes:

Also, I sense the pro-leagalizing drug people will be paying a visit soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭D_D

Cool sunglasses. Coke/pills/whatever that I can get if I want is at the same price it always is. Some guys might try to rip you off but it doesn't waver much. Drugs might get scarce but the price doesn't go up when they do.
    I know what I'm talking about. This isn't The Wire. 99% of people who use drugs are perfectly regular people, not itchy junkies that will pay through the nose.

Wow, you sound cool and with it... Can I be in your gang?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

There's a joke here somewhere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Drugs are a scourge, Gardai should be given more resources to tackle the gangsters.

Gardai will only ever get their hands on a fraction of what passes through, regardless of how well resourced they are.

Doubtless there'll be a press conference and photo's of the haul, but it only serves to highlight the futility of the approach taken by law enforcement agencies for decades now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Lock Up The Ruffians!
    Throw Away The Key!
    We Don't Want Those Brutes Down Our Road!
    Other Empty Slogans That Ignore Reality!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mimsy

Are you a little bit upset about this drug haul?
    You don't seem so happy.
    Personally I'm delighted to read the link, although a fool and his money will always be easily parted so no doubt its not going to do much to reduce demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

It's fairly common knowledge the Nigerian gangs control a massive amount of the cocaine coming into the country,but it's a huge success for the Gardai.

physically we need more gards,theres been recruitment freezes on garda recruitment for some while now,they need to cop on a bit..

think of the amount of drugs getting in undectected that end up on the street,making **** of peoples lives,and those affected by it..junkies everywhere,muggings,and beggings,being hassled,and burglaries..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Hooray for the pointless war on drugs and prohibition !!

Same identical story time and time again. "Gardai have uncovered x million kilos of y drug and have taken the suspects to Clondalkin Garda station". Yet I've still to ever hear about junkies or recreational users not getting their fix due to the bust.

This is barely a temporary dent in supply and demand, never mind the other countless shipments probably coming in right now or have already arrived undetected here as we type. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for some high ranking official on the 6 One, due now any minute, to bull**** the ears off the general public over how it's a huge blow to drugs trade ... how about not really though ?

Legislate and regulate already ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

[QUOTE=D_D;]Wow, you sound cool and with it... Can I be in your gang?[/QUOTE]

Can we be in yours :p DRUG scum Dee Dee O'Driscoll is flooding Dublin city centre with highly addictive sleeping pills that addicts ................................

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=dd%20o%20driscoll&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CFMQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sundayworld.com%2Fcolumnists%2Fsw-irish-crime.php%3Faid%3D5725&ei=_enpT6b7HJG7hAfZxoCHDQ&usg=AFQjCNErhh20T_3geeKMNdN26et21JiWeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Gardai will only ever get their hands on a fraction of what passes through, regardless of how well resourced they are.

Still, it's nothing to be sniffed at and no doubt they'll be having a party in Garda HQ with it over the find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Fantastic news.

Value of your stash just sky rocket?
    its good that they are seizing such quantaties of drugs,it means their task force is working,but the thing is i dont think these types of seizures are regular,and drugs on the street can be bought regularly so they are not seizing them all from coming in to ireland..

there should be more gards employed,i think the idea from our government to freeze garda recruitment is madness..

there should be loads of gard recruited to tackle all this crime from drugs and whatever else..

Dead right, the government can just sell the seized coke to get the money to pay them.

Max,I think cocaine is too dangeorous to legalise,but i would go about decriminalizing cannabis as its not as harmful or as dangerously addictive,and doesnt make the user aggressive..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

€200 would repay a nice little chunk of the EU/IMF/FF borrowings. The state should open medical despensaries and sell drugs to people with "back pain" for medicinal purposes and keep it a state monopoply allowing the guards to seize private drug traffickers drugs and sell them on to the benefit of the state. People will always get their drugs and there will always be a drug dealer ready to supply, same with prostitution, regulate, legalize and tax and get the money for the state and not criminals.

mimsy wrote: »
    Are you a little bit upset about this drug haul?
    You don't seem so happy.
    Personally I'm delighted to read the link, although a fool and his money will always be easily parted so no doubt its not going to do much to reduce demand.

I couldn't care less. I don't do coke. I know what it and other things besides cost and I wouldn't have a problem getting my hands on something if I really wanted to. I don't think many people would.
    I'm telling you how it is, that's all. Why get bent about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Has anyone told them about the boardway/abbey street area?

Sappa wrote: »
    It's fairly common knowledge the Nigerian gangs control a massive amount of the cocaine coming into the country,but it's a huge success for the Gardai.
    The problem with common knowledge is that it's commonly wrong.

When someone starts a post with "it's fairly common knowledge that...", I should think alarm bells ought to start going off in people's heads.

• Advertisement

later12 wrote: »

When someone starts a post with "it's fairly common knowledge that...", I should think alarm bells ought to start going off in people's heads.

But my friend told me it's true;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Still, it's nothing to be sniffed at and no doubt they'll be having a party in Garda HQ with it over the find.

Your average guard favours TK Lemonade over Coke, maybe with a quality barnbrack to ease the comedown.

Boombastic wrote: »
    But my friend told me it's true;)
    Don't mind her, she gets a rake of free prams from the Government.

Don't mind her, she gets a rake of free prams from the Government.

and leaves them at bus stops :eek:

I'd say the Gardai are flying high on their success

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

In other news about this wonderful mess of a country of ours..

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/man-jailed-for-selling-cannabis-to-make-a-few-quid-3151363.html

Four poxy years.

Rapists and murderers have gotten less ffs.

Let me clarify it for you then,my bro in law is in the SDU and we sometimes meet for family functions and we converse to which he has told me that a massive amount of the cocaine distribution and importation is by Nigerian gangs based here.

• Advertisement

Let me clarify it for you then,my bro in law is in the SDU and we sometimes meet for family functions and we converse to which he has told me that a massive amount of the cocaine distribution and importation is by Nigerian gangs based here.

I'd say they're great parties;);) Does he bring gifts?;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Absolutely, I mean, all the money we have thrown at it so far has almost solved the problem. A bit more should just eradicate it completely.

Or not.

I really don't know that we have any way of verifying that this is the case.

The Irishman in this case had six times as much cocaine as the Nigerian. Yet the Nigerian individual seems to be attracting a disproportionate amount of attention. The latter can be deported, what are we going to do about the one who has to be allowed stay here for life?

I know, lets keep him and his buddies in jobs by maintaining the silly pretense that the war on drugs is winnable!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

A waste of Garda resources.
    Legalised it all! tax it all! create employment from it all! Let people choose what they do with their own bodies!

Absolutely, I mean, all the money we have thrown at it so far has almost solved the problem. A bit more should just eradicate it completely.

Or not.

I've just heard that was the last of it. Disband the DS, we've won!!

• Advertisement

I really don't know that we have any way of verifying that this is the case.

The Irishman in this case had six times as much cocaine as the Nigerian. Yet the Nigerian individual seems to be attracting a disproportionate amount of attention. The latter can be deported, what are we going to do about the one who has to be allowed stay here for life?

I know, lets keep him and his buddies in jobs by maintaining the silly pretense that the war on drugs is winnable!
    One thing we can verify is that you haven't a clue what's really going on in this country at a street level and I am sure many people here can verify that this is the case.
    If it was French people bringing in the majority of the cocaine we would say it as so but it's not it's on fact the Nigerians and a huge way they are doing it is by using mules to bring it in as pellets in their stomachs and through larger shipments with cooperation from the Irish gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Hooray for the pointless war on drugs and prohibition !!

Same identical story time and time again. "Gardai have uncovered x million kilos of y drug and have taken the suspects to Clondalkin Garda station". Yet I've still to ever hear about junkies or recreational users not getting their fix due to the bust.

This is barely a temporary dent in supply and demand, never mind the other countless shipments probably coming in right now or have already arrived undetected here as we type. :rolleyes:

I can't wait for some high ranking official on the 6 One, due now any minute, to bull**** the ears off the general public over how it's a huge blow to drugs trade ... how about not really though ?

Legislate and regulate already ffs.

hear fúcking hear!
    Top, top post!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

Or not.

So exactly how much have we spent on it so far this year ?
    How much does the results of gangland crime cost the country ?
    There are very few dedicated Gardai resources pitched against gangland criminals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

How come the Gardaí always know so much about the Street Value of Drugs?

It makes you wonder ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Just last month
    Idah, a Nigerian with addresses at Lipton Court, Dublin city centre and Gerard House, Brown Street, London had pleaded not (NOT) guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to two charges of soliciting another person to unlawfully import cocaine on dates between September 14 and 19, 2010.
    Handing down sentence today Judge Desmond Hogan said Idah was recruiting people to bring drugs to this country and that this he was a far more serious criminal than an “ordinary drug mule”.
    Judge Hogan said: “He is higher up the chain of command than a simple courier. He was set up in the business of canvassing drug couriers or mules.”

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/courts/trafficker-jailed-for-13-year-after-soliciting-garda-to-act-as-drug-mule-3112058.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Skid wrote: »
    How come the Gardaí always know so much about the Street Value of Drugs?

It makes you wonder ...

It's a basic part of intelligence gathering to determine prices. Reflects the availability and quality of the drugs being sold. Doesn't make you wonder, it's the basics of any police force.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Tym wrote: »
    Bril news. I wonder will anybody say it was a decoy?:rolleyes:

Also, I sense the pro-leagalizing drug people will be paying a visit soon.

It's everyone's favourite one-topic poster gaffer arriving again to piss off drug prohibitionists!

All I'll say is imagine the tax take for VAT plus a little extra if this was being sold legally. Not to mention jobs created, less spent on the dole and however much this investigation actually cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When is the Garda auction on?

I think take the holland approach to it,decriminilize it but dont legalise it fully,there for if needed you can do drug busts if there is an undercurrent of anything untoward going on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

I think take the holland approach to it,decriminilize it but dont legalise it fully,there for if needed you can do drug busts if there is an undercurrent of anything untoward going on..

The Portuguese approach was to decriminalize use but to make distribution still a criminal offence. Had very positive effects if I remember right.

• Advertisement
Advertisement