Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Largest on-land seizure of drugs in the history of the state.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

gaffer91 wrote: »

A bit of advice-

:o I stopped here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

bohsboy wrote: »
    :o I stopped here.

That's ironic because my advice was warning against things like that.

You must be a glutton for intellectual punishment.

Please....please....say this to somebody in the real world. :)

Please....please....say this to somebody in the real world. :)

Of course I won't. But is this what your argument is reduced to? Reflects quite badly don't you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

Actually some of your points make sense and I can understand why you would make those points but the internet is also against much of your your argument as there is as much anti drug information or facts contained there. I have a niece in the U.S. who uses prescribed cannabis for M.S. but she gets terrible headaches from it and would not take it except for medical reasons if she could. Cannabis is also dangerous if you have any mental deficiencies and you might not even be aware of that until it hits you.
    A question I have not seen anyone answer is why these drugs are banned if they are so harmless? Why is there a blackout as you claim? Why would any country not make money on the drug trade if there are very little problems with it as you claim?

The thing about sites like the erowid vault is that they're unbiased. They give impartial facts about the chemical in question and the anecdotes range from wholly positive to the deepest negatives with pretty much every kind of user represented.

The site that was being posted earlier was made up of the extremes of drug use and was one side of the opinion. The suffering shown is very real, but these people had serious demons previous to drugs.

Cannabis just like everything else in the world isn't made for everyone, your niece and people with borderline illnesses among them. But surely you can see how counter-productive it is to criminalize adults for something relatively harmless to the vast majority of the population just for the few who'd react badly to it?

As for why drugs are banned:

Historically the modern war on drugs started in the 1970's but the seeds of it were sown in the 30's. Hemp(the non psychoactive part of the cannabis plant) was beginning to be applied industrially as an alternative to paper. A wealthy media mogul, William Randolph Hearst decided to protect the paper industry which he had a massive stake in by running a smear campaign against it, this is were the PSA/propaganda movie Reefer Madness comes from.

Culturally cannabis was being used recreationaly by mainly hispanics and blacks at the time, so Hurst played on America's racial bugbears by associating hemp and cannabis(called it marihuana on posters to help association with latin americans) with blacks raping whites, jazz and all sorts of crazy stuff. It worked, hemp was outlawed.

It gets a bit complicated after that, but there was panic in the establishment when the counter culture hit, there was a perceived lowering of 'moral standards' and alot of drugs were banned. Ever since, any new drug that became popular has been banned outright whether there was a perceived danger to the user or not.

I honestly don't see what else the establishment could have done at the time, society had operated a certain way for a long time and when people were given extra freedoms and wealth things started to change very fast. Public opinion up until very recently was singularly controlled by politicians beholden to media owned by people who had a stake in keeping people living and acting a certain way.

Things are different now, people have access to information. The internet doesn't follow the hierarchical structure of society, information doesn't get distributed downward to people from those in power. Anyone can make media and everyone can decide how valuable that information is to society as a whole.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2009/nov/06/drugs-bnp
    This link shows the disconnect between actual drug deaths and cases reported in the media. Sensationalism and downright lying runs through the entire news system.(Yes it is ironic to link to paper after taking a sh*te on them haha)

Goodnight Dustin.

Here's something for you to get stuck into for your summer break from school.
    http://www.azillionthings.com/lookytouchy/traumacenter.jpg

Goodnight Dustin.

Here's something for you to get stuck into for your summer break from school.
    http://www.azillionthings.com/lookytouchy/traumacenter.jpg

Don't take so defeat so personally. Learn from your mistakes and you will be all the better for it.

Don't take so defeat so personally. Learn from your mistakes and you will be all the better for it.

Keep fighting your battle, one day at a time and one day...maybe soon, they will allow you to use pencils in your workshop rather than those damn safety crayons..

You are indeed a living legend.

Keep fighting your battle, one day at a time and one day...maybe soon, they will allow you to use pencils in your workshop rather than those damn safety crayons..

You are indeed a living legend.

You seem to be very upset. I am trying to help you become a better, more well rounded 3 dimensional person. You should pay more heed to conflicting opinion and not just look for an echo chamber for a discussion. While it is sometimes good to vent your anger, it is better to deal with the source of the anger in the first place. Only you know what this is. I wish you all the best with it.

I never made any claims to be a "living legend" either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

You must be a glutton for intellectual punishment.
    I like this line. :D

You seem to be very upset.

Ive had two evenings of comedy gold. Absolute hilarity.

Ive had two evenings of comedy gold. Absolute hilarity.

Both of which have ended in ignominious defeat.

What's the reasoning behind the image may I ask?

ScumLord wrote: »
    I like this line. :D

You aint seen nothing yet. This guy is on fire tonight. Dont worry, he will order you to read the entire thread soon.

Scumlord, I suggest you read the thread to get a better understanding of the situation.

Both of which have ended in ignominious defeat.

You have been wiped across the floor for the last 24 hours my good man in an indecorous pasting the likes of which has never been seen before.

Hey, this is easy.
    Its a game that should help you with your virtual accreditation.

Enjoy

• Advertisement

You have been wiped across the floor for the last 24 hours my good man in an indecorous pasting the likes of which has never been seen before.

Hey, this is easy.
    Its a game that should help you with your virtual accreditation.

Enjoy

Good, but what was distasteful about the "pasting"? Work on that one.

I still don't see why you demanded "credentials" and then dismissed them out of hand upon being provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Formation

the level of ignorance here is shocking.

the value of the quantity is always vastly exaggerated.

the loss to the wholesalers is a lot less than 5% of any street price figure you will hear on the news.

It is one shipment. There is more than one gang importing coke into the country.

if a drought occurs it wont last longer than 2 weeks.

It is totally impossible to "win the war on drugs".

prevention is impossible, treatment is a huge expense to the country and most relapse so you need to educate young teenagers in school about the dangers of hard drugs and not lie to them about weed or they wont trust you about coke info.

Good, but what was distasteful about the "pasting"? Work on that one.

I still don't see why you demanded "credentials" and then dismissed them out of hand upon being provided.

The pasting was nigh on loathsome at times.

You provided me with a bucket of manure. Simple as.

The pasting was nigh on loathsome at times.

You provided me with a bucket of manure. Simple as.

I didn't. Feel free to have a glance through my posting history to enlighten yourself.

I didn't. Feel free to have a glance through my posting history to enlighten yourself.

Id rather take a brillo pad to my nether regions.

Anyway, goodnight. Its late again.;)

• Advertisement

Id rather take a brillo pad to my nether regions.

Anyway, goodnight. Its late again.;)

This is the close mindedness I was talking about. Remaining willfully ignorant has been your defining characteristic over the course of the thread. You should endeavour to put an immediate end to it. It would do you the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

That's a lot of drugs

This is the close mindedness I was talking about. Remaining willfully ignorant has been your defining characteristic over the course of the thread. You should endeavour to put an immediate end to it. It would do you the world of good.

And this is the pontificating from the fountain of knowledge that has brought such hilarity to proceedings for the last 24 hours. You must venture to slumber as your anxiety to triumph is palpable, but i believe is still exasperatingly just out of your reach.

And this is the pontificating from the fountain of knowledge that has brought such hilarity to proceedings for the last 24 hours. You must venture to slumber as your anxiety to triumph is palpable, but i believe is still exasperatingly just out of your reach.

You're trying too hard. It's obvious you're looking up a thesaurus or something.

Seriously though, you did lose the debate. That's the truth.

:) You may have lost this battle sir but I respect your courage and will to fight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭The Radiator

You're trying too hard. It's obvious you're looking up a thesaurus or something.

Grow up, you're 20/21 years of age. Time to stop the nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I read the entire 34 pages of that text, one of the worst peices of sh!te I have ever come across. If you nare really training to be a medic, please nevedr treat an addict if this is the type of stuff you get you information from. Actually, wait until you have to cover the topic, my boss teachses it in most places and bring those links with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Odysseus wrote: »
    I read the entire 34 pages of that text, one of the worst peices of sh!te I have ever come across. If you nare really training to be a medic, please nevedr treat an addict if this is the type of stuff you get you information from. Actually, wait until you have to cover the topic, my boss teachses it in most places and bring those links with you.

You may read it all again if you imagine that i'm training to be a medic. Where did you get that from?
    The whole point of this thread seems to be that there are those who want drugs legalised and those who don't. Both camps fully entrenched.
    I can't see the situation ever changing and drugs will remained illegal. There is far too much evidence against.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

People who buy the odd bit of coke or weed are never going to care where it comes from really. Same way you don't care about bloody animal welfare when you're buying factory chicken from KFC or cheap runners made in sweatshops. Unless there's some kind of moral or ethical worldwide revolution you better get used to it, not caring about what is out of sight and mind is just human nature.
    I've taken this and that but I really couldn't care less where it came from, being honest, as I'm sure 99% of other recreational drug users don't either.
    So I don't care, there's lots of money to be made importing drugs but there's an awful lot of risk too, if you get caught you're going to jail and you know that when you get into it. They're never going to make it legal for someone like me to buy a little weed or charlie every now and again so nothing is ever going to change, but your average recreational drug user couldn't care less because the stuff is still available. It hasn't changed since these laws started and it never will, let's just accept it the way it is and let the police and dealers to it.

You may read it all again if you imagine that i'm training to be a medic. Where did you get that from?
    The whole point of this thread seems to be that there are those who want drugs legalised and those who don't. Both camps fully entrenched.
    I can't see the situation ever changing and drugs will remained illegal. There is far too much evidence against.

Sorry then confused you with the other poster stating that, however that paper is still sh!te, if a student tried to present that to me in a course I teach on I would see myself as failing badly, if they thought that represented heroin addiction in general.

That site is just anti-drug guff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Although just a repost from another forum it is also worth reading the following which relates to the author (Joseph C. Rupp) of that anti-drug site........
    I once read a chapter, in a forensic science textbook, on the subject of "Sex-Related Deaths" by a guy named Joseph C. Rupp, who was the coroner in Corpus Christi, TX and who apparently was considered an expert in the field by someone.

In the chapter, Rupp talks about things like autoerotic fatalities and does a good job of destroying his own credibility by ranting about the "unnaturalness" of homosexuality, and tops it off by implying that if you find a dead bachelor in a clean apartment, he was probably killed by his gay lover. Even as an undergraduate, I was really surprised something like this ended up in a textbook.

"Who examines the doctors" is the phrase that comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

bohsboy, your post history in this thread is hilarious. Read through your own posts, it's just a list of telling people they're talking bóllocks, their claims are wrong (even though they're backed up in most cases) and snide insults at people that disagree with you.

Here's some reading which no doubt you won't do and claim as "rubbish" because you work with drug addicts (even though you never saw a peaceful stoner). The conclusion is, locking up drug users doesn't work.
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1893946,00.html
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/10/25/us-swiss-drugs-idUSTRE69O3VI20101025
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_the_Netherlands

I'll just quote one line from the last one:
    While the legalization of cannabis remains controversial, the introduction of heroin-assisted treatment in 1998 has been lauded for considerably improving the health and social situation of opiate-dependent patients in the Netherlands.[7] In 2010 research shows that the "heroin-junkies" have disappeared from the streets of the Netherlands and the treatment is upgraded from a test-trial to standard treatment for otherwise untreatable addicts

Mad that posters on here actually think that more police enforcement will improve dublin. It's proven to not work, the above has proven to work. But people decide that they don't like the idea of the one that works, so they're automaticly against it. Very weird and illogical.

And I noticed tayto lover paints a picture of a drug user to be someone who injects himself down some dirty ally with the dregs of society. That's like saying the alcohol user is the guy who spends his entire dole money in the pub and gets locked every night, and walks home with a shíte in his pants shouting at imaginary people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

people who put coke and cannabis in same category are plain *****.
    As to prevention,if you get caught with less then a pint of drinkin you, and you loose your license for two years at least why not put in a law if you get caught even with 0.5g heroin coke 2 years life sentence,and anything beyond that life sentence.As for cannabis legalize to grow a plant or two at home but if caught on street same law applies as to above drugs.its not rocket science here,to stop it spreading.Also if it was ever legalized every company would enforce drug testing like in the states,so if you fail random test after having joint day before say good bye to your carrier.

scamalert wrote: »
    As to prevention,if you get caught with less then a pint of drinkin you, and you loose your license for two years at least why not put in a law if you get caught even with 0.5g heroin coke 2 years life sentence,and anything beyond that life sentence.As for cannabis legalize to grow a plant or two at home but if caught on street same law applies as to above drugs.its not rocket science here,to stop it spreading.Also if it was ever legalized every company would enforce drug testing like in the states,so if you fail random test after having joint day before say good bye to your carrier.

If these laws were in place I'd be locked up till about 9143 AD, thank god there's a little sense out there

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    If these laws were in place I'd be locked up till about 9143 AD, thank god there's a little sense out there
    well explains a lot then, that you're occasional coke head then :pac: (anyway not judging you everyone's to themselves until they can control their habits)

peace.

There might be some sense to that and it would be better than the current situation.

There might be some sense to that and it would be better than the current situation.

So people should be put in jail for life for possession of heroin or cocaine? Dear oh dear, with people like you in the country it's no wonder off licences close at 10pm and the Joe Duffy brigade run the country.

No it wouldn't it would be 100 times worse, never mind that it is completely unaffordable. Locking people up for consuming drugs, FFS. Talk about policy failure.

Lots of personal users are often in possion 0.5g and over.

• Advertisement

Lots of personal users are often in possion 0.5g and over.
    Lots of users in Afghanistan posses more or less 1kg for personal and recreational use as well of hash,while a lad in UAE got death sentence for less than 300$ of weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

Not everyone who drinks is an alcoholic.

Not everyone who uses drugs are addicts. seems to be a belief from some on thsi thread that the minute you take drugs you're on a road to addiction. not eveyone who has a drink will turn into an alco.

I know accountants, architects, nurses, teachers, bankers etc etc who use drugs every now and then, whether its smoking weed or few pills or coke at a gig or festival or whatever. these are all functioning members of society with jobs, mortgages, paying their way etc etc. the idea that everyone who uses drugs is a scumbag who should be locked up is utter nonsense.

Lots of users in Afghanistan posses more or less 1kg for personal and recreational use as well of hash,while a lad in UAE got death sentence for less than 300$ of weed.

I'm missing your point, sorry but I'm not messing you around

What should a person be allowed for personal use and what amount should a person be taken to court for dealing ?

What should a person be allowed for personal use and what amount should a person be taken to court for dealing ?

Depends on the drug of course, but I cannot think of a fair way of establishing that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Burt Lancaster

I hope they do legalise drugs.
    It suits survival of the fittest, and we could make some useful tax money on them.

Let nature pick off the users, dependents and addicts.

• Advertisement

I hope they do legalise drugs.
    It suits survival of the fittest, and we could make some useful tax money on them.

Let nature pick off the users, dependents and addicts.

I don't think it is that simple, adddicts are not just the people you see at clinics, I know addicts who engage in endurance sports.

I don't think it is that simple, adddicts are not just the people you see at clinics, I know addicts who engage in endurance sports.

So do I, competing beyond their own personal abilities. Drug use takes many years to show up the negative effects, that’s its draw/snare.

As I said, let them pollute themselves, it should be survival of the fittest, legalise it so we can make some tax money off their weakness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

So do I, competing beyond their own personal abilities. Drug use takes many years to show up the negative effects, that’s its draw/snare.

As I said, let them pollute themselves, it should be survival of the fittest, legalise it so we can make some tax money off their weakness.
    You do realise "survival of the fittest" actually means "those that get to reproduce". Even if drug users where the daily mail type junkies you seem to think they are they'd still have "won" simply by reproducing and as your using the daily mail drug user you probably see them as lower class scumbags and as we all know those types breed much faster than any other class which makes them the biggest winners based on your saying of "survival of the fittest".

ScumLord wrote: »
    You do realise "survival of the fittest" actually means "those that get to reproduce". Even if drug users where the daily mail type junkies you seem to think they are they'd still have "won" simply by reproducing and as your using the daily mail drug user you probably see them as lower class scumbags and as we all know those types breed much faster than any other class which makes them the biggest winners based on your saying of "survival of the fittest".

Speak for yourself. I'm a lower class 'scumbag' myself as you like to put it, with 4 kids and another on the way, and I don't see the drug users round here holding it together, or their smug middle class customers. Legalise I say, and get the taxes off them as they all go down the plughole together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 237 ✭✭Snake Pliisken

http://news.yahoo.com/how-the-global-war-on-drugs-drives-hiv-and-aids.html

Speak for yourself. I'm a lower class 'scumbag' myself as you like to put it, with 4 kids and another on the way, and I don't see the drug users round here holding it together, or their smug middle class customers. Legalise I say, and get the taxes off them as they all go down the plughole together.

We should probably look after the plughole that all those junkies are falling down and while we're at it maybe we should plug up some other holes...

How can you have the tenacity to talk about the cumulative damage junkies are doing to their bodies when your wife could do less harm to herself getting kicked in the c*nt by an entire army platoon rather than what she put her body through, squirting out your sprogs? Having children isn't some divine calling, there's 7 billion of us already here if you haven't noticed.

We don't live in the Ireland of half a century ago and we don't live in Kenya, having to populate a farm with workers so we can harvest the crop and live securely into our forties. You sound like you live in a city, why did you need to have 5 kids?

Good luck raising 5 well adjusted human beings, all sleeping in the 2 bedrooms of your affordable housing unit that you're not f*cking in.

Good luck with the next 20 years of your children hating you because you'll never have enough time, attention, love, toys or money. Good luck explaining to them why the other children have more, especially if one of them has a knack for critical thinking and sees that it's all your fault. Good luck keeping them away from the drugs that are so easily gotten in lower income areas(because of our stupid laws), especially when you forbid them of even thinking about trying them(works well with young people). I honestly mean that, good luck, because these kids are already here and they're gonna need all the luck in the world with the roll of the dice they've been given.

What's your plan for them, that they be good devoted practitioners so you outbreed the heathens? Or do you want them to do better in life than you did(better education, further up the social ladder)? Or did you not think, were you just selfish? Did your primate brain get the better of you, so that you could have tiny versions of yourself running around to inflate your ego, so after you were dead and gone your genes would still be here, perpetuating themselves?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and assume you are religious(there's not many outside of organised religion having 5 kids)- does your religion not teach compassion for vulnerable people?

• Advertisement
Advertisement