Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Largest on-land seizure of drugs in the history of the state.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0626/drugs-dublin-kildare.html

Fair play to the Gardai on this one.

Middle-classs drug users might have to pay a little more for their fix.

Agree.

France 24 ran a story Sunday night about the special forces in Colombia - these poor guys (and misfortune of a dog) lining up for battle in the jungle, the look of uncertainty and sadness on their faces had me reaching for the kleenex and all before they even deployed. They came under heavy fire with the main 'manufacturers' and several soldiers lives were lost, one of whose death shown on camera. They made it their priority to protect the camera man from harm and one of them stood up and walked out to an open area (while still under fire) to guide the helicopter and get the reporter to safety.

I thought of a girl I know of. Stuck up, violent, wannabe posh bítch who snorts like there's no tomorrow (for her - hopefully not :)).
    Those men DIED FOR HER and other twats like her. May the wheel turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

bohsboy wrote: »
    What frequency are batches coming out these days? And as for MDMA levels now? As good as early 90's or a lot of watering down?

High frequency.

MDMA levels are coming back up, but about three out of five pills has speed (yuck) or piperazine (yuckier) instead, or added in.

But if you find a good pill, like that kid in the 'Ecstasy' thread did...
    Pure as it ever was..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Shryke wrote: »
    You still haven't done your research.

What are you harping on about now?

You're a magnificent troll. Your second hand, ill informed, anecdotal and circumstantial knowledge of the fundamental facts of drugs and drug use.
    You're talking out your back entrance as to the fundamental nature of the subject matter is what I'm driving at.
    I do think you're on a wind up from the start so I'll just let you off now. It's getting late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

csi vegas wrote: »
    Those men DIED FOR HER and other twats like her.

Such an immature understanding.

The US has been wreaking havoc in central and South America for decades and the war on drugs is just another pathetic bogeyman (as if US right wing nut-jobs care about drug users) that allows the US to keep meddling in the affairs of other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

link

yoshi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

The US has been wreaking havoc in central and South America for decades and the war on drugs is just another pathetic bogeyman (as if US right wing nut-jobs care about drug users) that allows the US to keep meddling in the affairs of other countries.

Well this is certainly the one instance I agree with (the financing and operation of soldiers fighting drug cartels funded by the US - as outlined in the France24 report) where the US 'meddle' if you like in other countries' business. Iraq etc? No. But 'meddle' in Colombia? Meddle away. At least they're doing something, regardless of the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

What are you harping on about now?

He's politely saying you are full of **** I reckon.

csi vegas wrote: »
    Well this is certainly the one instance I agree with (the financing and operation of soldiers fighting drug cartels funded by the US - as outlined in the France24 report) where the US 'meddle' if you like in other countries' business. Iraq etc? No. But 'meddle' in Colombia? Meddle away.

So you'd be okay with China meddling in the US if they decided to outlaw tobacco and the US still produced it? Would you be okay with the Chinese funding anti-tobacco militias in US tobacco growing states?
    At least they're doing something, regardless of the outcome.

Jesus...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

A 42-year-old Nigerian man was arrested in the Tallaght area and 50kg of cocaine and a vehicle were seized.
    During a follow-up operation in the west Dublin and Kildare areas, a 31-year-old Irish man was arrested.
    Over 300kg of cocaine was seized in the second seizure in Blanchardstown.

Source: RTE

There is often a 'follow-up' operation in these large drug busts. Can we assume that it's typically the person caught in the first operation gives up a larger fish to ease his own situation?

I assume that the cops would have busted the second place at the same time as the first had they known about it before.

Well done to the police on some good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Shryke wrote: »
    You're a magnificent troll. Your second hand, ill informed, anecdotal and circumstantial knowledge of the fundamental facts of drugs and drug use.
    You're talking out your back entrance as to the fundamental nature of the subject matter is what I'm driving at.
    I do think you're on a wind up from the start so I'll just let you off now. It's getting late.
    epic stuff, typical boards response , the nuclear option, calling someone a troll because you don't agree with what they say. Im pointing out the dangers off drug taking as I've seen the devastating effects it has first hand.
    Now ill let you off to take you crap in peace as its obviously doing wonders for your sleep patterns. Is troll calling a banning offence these days here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Sappa wrote: »
    One thing we can verify is that you haven't a clue what's really going on in this country at a street level and I am sure many people here can verify that this is the case.
    If it was French people bringing in the majority of the cocaine we would say it as so but it's not it's on fact the Nigerians and a huge way they are doing it is by using mules to bring it in as pellets in their stomachs and through larger shipments with cooperation from the Irish gangsters.

The large shipments generally originate from Irish lads in the South of Spain buying in bulk and shipping it back here by lorry, or from Irish lads in Dutch port cities sourcing it there.

Im not saying it has never happened but the vast majority of Nigerian involvement is low level stuff, a kilo here and there, smuggled by mule. The Irish involvement is more on the multi kilo truck full level. If Nigerians are so involved in it why havent they been getting gunned down/ involved in shooting at the same rate as the Irish have during the cocaine boom years?

Anyone remember that sh1te that went around years ago saying that Moore Street had effectively turned into an open air free for all drugs market? Believe you me back in the summer of 2006 when you couldnt get hash if your life depended on it I paced up and down there many a time and wa disappointed by the lack of anyone approaching me :pac:

I have always been mystified as to how coke, at the quality it is mixed to for retail level, ever even took off in Ireland.
    Shakima Greggs: You rogue mother****ers kill me. Fighting the war on drugs, one brutality case at a time.

Det. Ellis Carver: You can't even call this **** a war.

Det. Thomas Hauk: Why not?

Det. Ellis Carver: Wars end.

The Wire.

Jesus The Wire is some preachy badly written shyte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Society has to protect itself, and if you compare where we are today with the pre-drug society bliss where people could leave their homes unlocked all day, we're really are in hell at the moment afraid to walk the streets at night and have to barricade ourselves into our homes.

Sounds like you need to move to a better area dude.

Jesus The Wire is some preachy badly written shyte.

It's only widely accepted by critics and connoisseurs as the greatest drama ever produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Those pictures look like the Gardai seized those blocks of tofu you can buy in the supermarket.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rlz=1G1SVEDCENUK430&q=blocks+of+tofu&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=htDqT7W1LZC00QXYseG9BQ&biw=1366&bih=643&sei=jdDqT4rFH5KN0wWwwtDgBQ

That is my thought on the topic. :cool:

Nice seizure for An Garda Siochana.
    Good stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Glad to see that off our streets.
    I don't know how some people are against the garda removing drugs like this from our streets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

RVP 11 wrote: »
    Good stuff.

Did You try it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

My thoughts on folk who consume illegal drugs in Ireland:

Most will continue to appeal for legalisation of their drugs of choice and continue to use them illegally in the meantime despite them knowing that the majority is sourced via violent criminal gangs. They hold fast to the notion that they're current support for violent criminal gangs is caused by government and state not legalising these drugs and, presumably, allowing current producers and suppliers to turn legal and get CRO and VAT numbers.

So supporting violent crime is ok, as long as you complain to all who'll listen that you'd prefer not to be doing it.

Unless, of course, you're one of the many, many, many people in Ireland who don't buy drugs from violent criminal gangs. These people buy drugs from friends, buddies, guys they went to school with who a really sound guys. Guys they met down the pub who just lets his close circle of friends buy stuff off him. You know, the good guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ive yet to meet a peaceful, let alone responsible junkie/stoner/crackhead etc.
    I noticed you still haven't explained more on this, even though it was called bullshít by about 5 people. If you think a drug user can't lead a normal life, and the people down on the boardwalk is a typical drug user, you don't have a clue what you're talking about no matter now many times you say you do.
    Not breaking my rules? You should know that. Id lock users and dealers up all day long.

Lets take a look at this. You want to lock up 24% of the population. Where are you going to build this super prison to house over 1m people? At least it will provide jobs, officer to inmate ratio is around 20:1, that's 50,000 prisoner officers. At 3 shifts a day, that's 150,000 new jobs. At €40k a year, that's 6 billion a year in prison officer wages alone.
    How many more police do we need to catch these people?
    I'd say you'd be surprised how ofted you'd be visiting friends and family that smoked the odd joint too.
    Presumable if you're so anti drugs, you don't listen to music that drug users made? Your music collection must be full of chrisitan rap and the odd x-factor winner.

Most will continue to appeal for legalisation of their drugs of choice and continue to use them illegally in the meantime despite them knowing that the majority is sourced via violent criminal gangs. They hold fast to the notion that they're current support for violent criminal gangs is caused by government and state not legalising these drugs and, presumably, allowing current producers and suppliers to turn legal and get CRO and VAT numbers.

So supporting violent crime is ok, as long as you complain to all who'll listen that you'd prefer not to be doing it.

Unless, of course, you're one of the many, many, many people in Ireland who don't buy drugs from violent criminal gangs. These people buy drugs from friends, buddies, guys they went to school with who a really sound guys. Guys they met down the pub who just lets his close circle of friends buy stuff off him. You know, the good guys.
    There's very little that doesn't have people getting shot behind some part of the manufacturing process. Olive oil is massively influenced by groups like the Camorra (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/04/olive-oil-real-thing) and a look at where just Italian criminal gangs have got their hands into would blow your mind. Waste disposal from Northen Italy wrecking swathes of Southern Italy, companies like Parmalat becoming basically a branch of the mob a few years back, control of every business in entire towns, control of clothing manufacturing and **** only knows what else they're into. In one region in Italy there's been nearly as many murders over the years due to organised crime as the conflict in NI and if you look at how far these groups' ties reach you could buy very little with a clear conscience.

Thats all before looking at sweatshop labour behind our clothes in the Far East, wars basically started to keep resource prices low, puppet regimes, pollution etc. etc.

• Advertisement

There's very little that doesn't have people getting shot behind some part of the manufacturing process. Olive oil is massively influenced by groups like the Camorra (http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2012/jan/04/olive-oil-real-thing) and a look at where just Italian criminal gangs have got their hands into would blow your mind. Waste disposal from Northen Italy wrecking swathes of Southern Italy, companies like Parmalat becoming basically a branch of the mob a few years back, control of every business in entire towns, control of clothing manufacturing and **** only knows what else they're into. In one region in Italy there's been nearly as many murders over the years due to organised crime as the conflict in NI and if you look at how far these groups' ties reach you could buy very little with a clear conscience.

Thats all before looking at sweatshop labour behind our clothes in the Far East, wars basically started to keep resource prices low, puppet regimes, pollution etc. etc.

All perfectly valid points, I have no doubt.

But my comments still stand - Irish drug users knowingly support criminality while trying to pin the blame on the state.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

where do you think he got his from?? from the criminals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

All perfectly valid points, I have no doubt.

But my comments still stand - Irish drug users knowingly support criminality while trying to pin the blame on the state.

How many reading this post will will buy insurance, blocks, radiators, solar panels etc from Sean Quinn in the next few years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

It's only widely accepted by critics and connoisseurs as the greatest drama ever produced.

Its not even the greatest thing its own writers have come up with, let alone the above pretentious ****. The preaching was cringeworthy, the writing was lazy.

Slumdog Millionaire won 8 or so Oscars. The Matrix is critically acclaimed. It still doesnt get away from the fact they were both shyte. People like them. People also voted for the Nazis and listen to Coldplay. You cant trust people. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

PucaMama wrote: »

You do realise that it's quite easy to grow your own weed at home :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭gaffer91

Well done to the police on some good work.
    Good stuff.
    Jester252 wrote: »
    Glad to see that off our streets.
    I don't know how some people are against the garda removing drugs like this from our streets

Have any of you actually bothered to read any of the thread?

PucaMama wrote: »

i had my sarcastic hat on when I wrote that :rolleyes:

You do realise that it's quite easy to grow your own weed at home :confused:

I do. That's why I said that:
    the majority is sourced via violent criminal gangs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Drugs is more of a widespread problem now,it used to be just confined to inner city areas,but its everywhere,you cannot go anywhere without being hassled or nearly robbed, i know a neighbour of mine who had his car hijacked by a junkie and he ordered him to drive to a pub known as brannigans in limerick to meet some buds and do a favour,then he ordered him to drive to an atm at knifepoint..

Its a real problem and the fact there arent enough gards to man this problem has meant it has spiralled out of control to this point..

drugs?? what drugs,coke? weed? ecstacy? heroin? speed? hash? acid?

all of the above bar coke heroin and weed have been widespread,not confined to inner citys for the last 20 years man,wake up.

coke weed and heroin have been for ten easy.

how many times have you being hassled and nearly robbed over the last twenty years,must be a few thousand at this stage,loads of people take drugs all the time and have a great time,some become dependant,much like alcohol,criminal gangs make lots of money and kill for turf,debts,paranoia,peer pressure,but mostly turf and debts.

the guards run around like headless chickens after em,some cops get off on it and some couldnt give a ****.

either way people will continued to be shot,pipe bombs planted,houses burgaled,banks robbed,pensioners robbed in their homes and so on and on it will go.

BECAUSE GANGSTERS ARE MAKING LOADS AND LOADS OF SPONDOOLAKS.

because it illiegal.

drugs?? what drugs,coke? weed? ecstacy? heroin? speed? hash? acid?

all of the above bar coke heroin and weed have been widespread,not confined to inner citys for the last 20 years man,wake up.

coke weed and heroin have been for ten easy.

how many times have you being hassled and nearly robbed over the last twenty years,must be a few thousand at this stage,loads of people take drugs all the time and have a great time,some become dependant,much like alcohol,criminal gangs make lots of money and kill for turf,debts,paranoia,peer pressure,but mostly turf and debts.

the guards run around like headless chickens after em,some cops get off on it and some couldnt give a ****.

either way people will continued to be shot,pipe bombs planted,houses burgaled,banks robbed,pensioners robbed in their homes and so on and on it will go.

BECAUSE GANGSTERS ARE MAKING LOADS AND LOADS OF SPONDOOLAKS.

because it illiegal.

Are you trying to burst their bubble?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,409 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gaffer91 wrote: »
    From cannabis, MDMA or LSD? I don't know that there is "many who have died" for those drugs actually.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfideysnmhkf/rss2/

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0508/breaking32.html

http://www.hrb.ie/uploads/tx_hrbpublications/HRB_Trend_Series_8.pdf

Drugs are a contributory factor in many deaths in Ireland - all drugs from alcohol to heroin have a death rate.

For other people? So you don't care about the person taking it? So we have reached agreement.

If a drug can be shown to cause it's takers to act violently per se then I'd ban it.

I am not aware of any drugs that do.

There you go. This nice man blamed drugs
    http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/notorious/killers_wh_surrender/9.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Are you trying to burst their bubble?

meaning?

Have any of you actually bothered to read any of the thread?

I have not read much of the thread; seems to have become a pro vs. anti drug use debate. I have only read the article on RTE.

You quoted posts which show appreciation for the work of the guards; did they not do a good job?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

You quoted posts which show appreciation for the work of the guards; did they not do a good job?

The guards did a bloody great job. As it stands, drugs are illegal in this country and that effectively makes it the job of the Gardaí to get them off the street. In this instance they did their job and they did it well.

Is it going to end the war on drugs? No of course not. Are the Gardaí claiming it will? No of course not. But some people live in the real world and work hard within their limited resources to do their best and people should be appreciative at least some of the time, without always looking for something to whinge about. If the guards are seen to do nothing, they're condmened then too -damned if they do and damned if they don't basically!

meaning?

The key is in the question.;)

• Advertisement

This is a very good article from someone who worked with drug addicts in the U.S. It is a bit scary and has some pictures which are not nice but which explain the reality of a drug culture better than words can I think. Follow the links on the left-hand side for each drug and ask yourself if you would like any of your children to become involved with any of those substances.

http://deep6inc.com/index.html

This is one extremely isolated incident. I would also wager that it was not the MDMA that killed her (if is really was the pill that was responsible) but the drug it was cut with. Another reason legalisation is the way forward.

This provides no link to deaths caused by cannabis. Neither does it suggest cannabis use in adulthood is linked to schizophrenia; it only states it for adolescents.

Most importantly however, there are countless studies suggesting that the cannabis schizophrenia link is extremely tenuous.

http://www.hrb.ie/uploads/tx_hrbpublications/HRB_Trend_Series_8.pdf

Drugs are a contributory factor in many deaths in Ireland - all drugs from alcohol to heroin have a death rate.

This link is way too long for me to read. Seeing as how your bias would prevent you from giving an accurate summary, I had a skim through and the point that jumped out at me the most was that alcohol was a leading contributor, a drug that it is accepted is much better off legal.

He is one person, and an unreliable one at that. Cocaine does not cause people to hallucinate.

Ted Bundy blamed porn for his murders? Should that be banned too?

Now that I have busted all your myths- do you think the war on drugs has been a success? What drugs, if any, do you think should be legal?
    I have not read much of the thread; seems to have become a pro vs. anti drug use debate. I have only read the article on RTE.

They did a job, but a completely futile one. It is not addressing the bigger problem of the war on drugs, and patting the guards on the back for every drug seizure distracts from the bigger picture.
    gara wrote: »
    The guards did a bloody great job. As it stands, drugs are illegal in this country and that effectively makes it the job of the Gardaí to get them off the street. In this instance they did their job and they did it well.

Is it going to end the war on drugs? No of course not. Are the Gardaí claiming it will? No of course not. But some people live in the real world and work hard within their limited resources to do their best and people should be appreciative at least some of the time, without always looking for something to whinge about. If the guards are seen to do nothing, they're condmened then too -damned if they do and damned if they don't basically!

The war on drugs will never end, and will never be won. Resources would be better spent investigating murders, robberies, fraud etc. The war on drugs is a gigantic waste of money. I'm actually surprised you are bothering to still post given how the prohibitionist argument was completely blasted out of the water over the course of the thread.

This is a very good article from someone who worked with drug addicts in the U.S. It is a bit scary and has some pictures which are not nice but which explain the reality of a drug culture better than words can I think. Follow the links on the left-hand side for each drug and ask yourself if you would like any of your children to become involved with any of those substances.

http://deep6inc.com/index.html

Most users are not addicts. You must realise this by now.

It is a clearly biased website that makes ludicrous claims such as linking cannabis to teen suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

The war on drugs will never end, and will never be won. Resources would be better spent investigating murders, robberies, fraud etc. The war on drugs is a gigantic waste of money. I'm actually surprised you are bothering to still post given how the prohibitionist argument was completely blasted out of the water over the course of the thread.

The one where it was claimed that taking drugs makes you more responsible and is akin to rock-climbing? Would you ever get a grip or come down off that delusional high you're on cos I'm sick of you trying to engage my posts with your nonsensical rubbish

The one where it was claimed that taking drugs makes you more responsible and is akin to rock-climbing? Would you ever get a grip or come down off that delusional high you're on cos I'm sick of you trying to engage my posts with your nonsensical rubbish

No every reason the prohibitionists have given has been completely taken apart, not just that one. I provided a link showing that MDMA was as dangerous as horse riding, which you just ignored. The point we were trying to make was if drugs should be illegal because they are harmful, should every activity dangerous to oneself be prohibited as well? The answer is no.

The prohibitionist argument has consisted of lies, hyperbole, strawmen and ignorance of basic facts surrounding drugs and the war on drugs. I would politely advise to give up this argument as you have already been resoundingly defeated and you are just making yourself look worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

This link is way too long for me to read.

:rolleyes:

It is a clearly biased website that makes ludicrous claims such as linking cannabis to teen suicide.

Biased because it disagrees with your views obviously.

He had a habit of doing that. (excuse pun).

Tym wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Great response. FFS it's 20 pages long. I gave it a brief once over and came to the conclusion I detailed in my post.

That's amazing because many professionals make that same connection.
    Are they all biased who disagree with your views?

Biased because it disagrees with your views obviously.

Biased because it cites zero studies and makes laughable claims like the one I pointed out.

Care to respond to my question- do you think the war on drugs has been a success?

That's amazing because many professionals make that same connection.
    Are they all biased who disagree with your views?

Most studies do not make such a connection. People are biased when they refuse to listen to fact.

Do you think the war on drugs has been a success?

Biased because it cites zero studies and makes laughable claims like the one I pointed out.

Care to respond to my question- do you think the war on drugs has been a success?

The people who write the articles are professionals like that doctor in my last link.

No the war on drugs will never be won but it will help control the problem. Legalizing drugs will not cure the problems they cause either. Many agree that it would add to the problem.

They did a job, but a completely futile one. It is not addressing the bigger problem of the war on drugs, and patting the guards on the back for every drug seizure distracts from the bigger picture.

It is up to the police to enforce the law; it is up to the politicians and judiciary to define the laws. The police did a great job; seizing 350kg of about 80% purity and this guys calls it futile! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

Of course there would be a link.

Any high cuases a low (even in relation) and many teenagers would be using it to cover their own problems, so there would be a proven link regardles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement