Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Dynasty League

• 26-06-2012 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭

Hi there, just setting this thread up to see what sort of interest there would be in playing a Dynasty League on here. We can decide our settings if we get enough interest, but it is like a larger scale Keeper League, where you will keep all or most of your roster. Then there will be an annual Rookie & free agent draft, where you add to your roster by drafting NFL Rookies and any free agents (players not on the league's rosters). This obviously requires the same players coming back every year (hopefully) as it would be more fun to build up your own team than a replacement player taking over your team.

Masked_man posted in the general talk thread on the American Football about this, and credit to him for the idea. Right now we have 3 players (I assume he still wishes to play) so post here if you want to join. All experiences welcome - for me it will be my first try at this! :p Any Q's just ask, there's some more general info here

http://dynastyleaguefootball.com/dynasty-hq

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I'm in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

In :)

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭barbarians

In :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,475 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

In

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'll give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

UCD AFC clearly more popular than me :P

This was the format I suggested
    Masked Man wrote: »
    I was thinking this format:

8 - 12 teams on nfl.com

30 player rosters

Starting positions:
    1QB
    1HB
    2WR
    2OffFlex
    1TE
    3IDP (1DL, 1LB, 1DB) - wouldn't mind adding more IDP and having a flex option
    -http://www.nfl.com/fantasy/help/custom-IDP for those like me who don't know much about IDPs

Annual FA/Rookie draft.

I'd like to have a budget for waviers/fa as well, but I'm not that pushed about it.

Seeing as we have 9 people interested already we should make a decision on number of players. My vote would be for 12.

Who's the third person mentioned in the op ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

mayordenis is the other player

I'd be happy with 10 or 12 players, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

In

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

In if not full. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

In

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭boccy23

If available I'd do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Xfire Elect

If there's any space I'll take part!

If everyone is happy to cap it at 12 (imo best suited to Dynasty) - this is the list I have (apologies to those who posted too late)

1. UCD AFC.
    2. Masked_man
    3. mayordenis
    4. CoachTO
    5. Spongey1975
    6. JaMarcus Hustle
    7. barbarians
    8. eagle eye
    9. adrian522
    10. Mr. Guappa
    11. UnitedIrishman
    12. BigBadRob83

is everyone happy with the general format masked man has posted above? I think having 1DL, 1LB and 1DB is the way to go as this simplifies your drafting a little bit (not worrying about 2 starting in one position and not the other etc.) I would be open to a D Flex if everyone else is also. Could you explain what you mean by the budget on FA?

UCD AFC wrote: »
    is everyone happy with the general format masked man has posted above? I think having 1DL, 1LB and 1DB is the way to go as this simplifies your drafting a little bit (not worrying about 2 starting in one position and not the other etc.) I would be open to a D Flex if everyone else is also. Could you explain what you mean by the budget on FA?

I'd be for adding more IDP for a few reasons. Firstly in each of the categories, DL, LB, DB there is a top tier of each that will score pretty similar each week and if we all have one of each then it negates the IDP factor of your starters. Secondly it will take defensive players out of the rookie draft altogether (bar a few special players). Why draft a defensive player when you only need to carry 2 of each position and no rookie will break into the top 24 of their position for at least 2 years (again bar a few special players). Thirdly, since you only need 2 of each position, ie 6 players overall then that leaves 24 offensive players to fill your roster and thats a lot IMO. I'd be for increasing that maybe 2 of each and a flex, 7 overall

As for the budget, i may be wrong but have seen it in other leagues that you have a budget for the year and to get a free agent in during the year you put in a blind bid and highest bidder gets him and your bid gets taken off your budget until it is used up. It replaces the waiver wire. Is that right Masked Man?

My mistake, I missed the 30 man roster part. Therefore I hadn't factored in how the roster would be divided. I agree with you (made a good point regarding the rookie draft also), I think your suggestion of 2 each and a flex sounds about right.

Yeah, that's my understanding of it Spongey.

This is the NFL help page about it.

Like I said I'm not pushed. Dynasty + IDPs + Budget would be very very new to most people I'd say (including me).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

That budget sounds like something I'd very much make a balls of, very early.

Masked Man wrote: »
    Yeah, that's my understanding of it Spongey.

This is the NFL help page about it.

Like I said I'm not pushed. Dynasty + IDPs + Budget would be very very new to most people I'd say (including me).

That page explained it a lot better than i did but it was just as i thought

We'll see how everyone wants in relation to the IDP, my vote is for 2DL, 2LB, 2DB and 1 Flex. I'd also be for the WAB, never done it before so its intriguing to see it in operation

Secondly it will take defensive players out of the rookie draft altogether (bar a few special players). Why draft a defensive player when you only need to carry 2 of each position and no rookie will break into the top 24 of their position for at least 2 years (again bar a few special players).

The draft is FA as well so defensive players will still be a part of it. And off the top of my head it could be good to have young players who could be defensive superstars in a while. They have trade value and it's dynasty so they'll still be on your team when they come good.

I'm not arguing against having more IDPs, your first point seems really valid.
    That budget sounds like something I'd very much make a balls of, very early.

I probably would as well, but the rosters would be pretty deep so the first draft is the most important thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Like the FAAB (Free Agent Auction Bidding) bette rthan waiver wire, especially for a long-term keeper league. Players go to the teams that value them most that way, rather than just who has no.1 waiver claim and adds another element of strategy that way.
    What do people think for a draft: are we looking at snake draft or auction?
    If there was auction, could have salary cap rules going forward, can help keep league competitive.

Also, any preference on which site we'll be using?
    Have used a few (ESPN, NFL, CBS and couple others) over the years. For leagues like this where we want massive customisation have found ESPN the best, has a very comprehensive and customisable League Manager option (and free, and app available)

Looking forward to playing with defensive players, haven't done it before.

I would much prefer snake draft, haven't used an auction one before so would be a risky experiment for me!

I'd go with snake for the same reasons but I understand the reasons for an auction.

I was thinking nfl.com, it seemed to have everything you need and the help section was clearer than espn. I've also never used anything else for fantasy football. It's UCD's call though.

anyone else wanna give their 2 cents on which website? I'm happy with either so will run with the majority

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

1 vote for espn, mobile app was much better last year and I find the fantasy site better, but happy to go with nfl.com if that's what's decided.

Im not pushed on which site we use. I've no experiences with how each site are with dynasty leagues

http://gyazo.com/0c6a3c654fad7828794d314f9a9a229f

hi guys, I have just set up an ESPN league to check out the settings etc. Here is the rosters setup at the minute. If everyone could take a minute to answer the 3 questions in the survey (I will PM all the members) it should clear a lot of things up about the league. Don't worry too much about the draft time (holidays or whatever - we'll work that out closer to the time if needed.) :D

I don't think the bench size is big enough.

Looking on the DLF forum:

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dlforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15027

http://www.dynastyleaguefootball.com/dlforum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=19009

The very minimum people seem to go with is Bench=Roster. And some people said 2:1 in favour of the bench.

I also think IR would be good, but I'm guessing with a big bench that wouldn't matter as much.

Agree on bench size. I usually see leagues that have a bench just over the number of starters and then they add 5 or so for rookies.

For example here if we take one player from each of the defensive positions to 2 each then we'll have 14 starters. If we have a roster of 35 then we can have 2 players per position if needed and 5 rookies to take a pop on. We can then cut down to 30 in time for the 5 round rookie draft each year.

Oh an IR would be good as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,475 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't like the IR thing. You can leave a guy on it all year if you want which I don't think is fair.

Agreed that a bigger bench is needed. Why so many defensive starters? I think 3 at each of those positions is far too many.

Advertisement